Is showing Beef Cattle really competative everywhere?

Help Support Steer Planet:

fbrmom

My daughter is in her second yr of showing beef cattle at our local 4-h show.  I don't want to get into showing big time, just showing on the local level.  Well, we had a problem with our calf last night so I called another 4-h leader in our county, should have just come on here and asked, she was down right rude (argue).  Her kids showed steers in 4-h when I showed horses and now she has grandkids showing, thought maybe she could give me some insight into what was wrong, basically told your on your own.  I am my daughters steer and horse leader because her club is a shooting club and with all 3 kids activities I don't have time to run between 2 different clubs for different projects.  We don't have any fitting clinics or anyone to help when you have problems with your calf so I thought she might help, WRONG! (argue)  Is this everywhere, or should I try and find someone else to give us insight and help us out?  Your ideas would be great, I posted my problem I had in another topic and got some great insight, thanks to all who helped!!!  <party> <party> <party>.

coachmac

As a 4-H Beef Leader for our County..... I am greatly disappointed and a little ashamed.  Stands against everything that 4-H represents.  And as far as the competitive question.....  yes, it is!  But even competitive people have a brain when it comes to giving assistance with another youths project.  Hang in there and please don't group us all into that, hopefully minority, bunch of people. 

Earthmover

Welcome to the real world honey! Most of the show people would rather cut your throat than help. And even if they do don't put tomuch faith in it. We are done showing now and have tried to help some of the other people in our county, what a waste of time. They either don't listen or do the exact opposite. Your best bet is to come on here and get a variety of answers.  Its Funny how if you help some people one year and win the they know it all. Whats most disapointing is they don't even say thankyou. We helped one family who never won, they got reserve at the county fair and now there 14 yr old thinks shes God. Go figure.

vc

Earthmover I feel sorry for you, either your that cynical or your area is a "be nice" area to show in.

fbrmom We have 4 club in our town alone because people cant get along, but as far as helping each other, but thankfully when there is a problem with animals you do not have to look far for help.

Our area is competitive but most want to beat you because they have selected and fed their animal better than the others, The family that has won the county fair 2 out of the last 4 years will be the first one there if you need help with an animal whether it is a feed question, holding an animal or what supplements to get it where you need it.

I suggest you find someone in your area that knows cattle and you can trust and go to them with your questions.

Even if you are in it to win it, the kids should come first, especially if you are a leader. I do not know how someone could feel good about winning if they had to run over someone to do it.

AAOK

Quotes you ar likely to hear at every County Show in the USA

Is this everywhere, or should I try and find someone
Welcome to the real world honey!
And as far as the competitive question.....  yes, it is!
me some insight into what was wrong, basically told your on your own.

I'll agree.  County shows ar brutal!  We were fortunate to have shown the Grand Champ Heifer at our County 4 out of 6 years, and also had Reserve 3 of those years.  The record also established our family as the Biggest Cheaters in the County.  As far as I was concerned, all this attention made winning even more fun, but our girls got to the point they didn't even want to show at County.

The best thing I can advise you to do, is to move on.  By that, I mean move on the District Shows, State Shows, and National Shows.  I will honestly tell you that the higher up the Show ladder you climb, the less the complaining, and the more anxious your competitors are to help!

SWMO

It is sad that adults cant get along.  It seems to me that if the adults stay out of the way most of the kids get along and help each other (not always but many times).  It is a shame that the person you encountered was that small minded. I like for my kids to win as much as anyone and we put alot of effort into winning.  However, it will be time to quit when I am so selfish that I am unwilling to help someone that asks for help.  That being said.  We like AAOK are not always the most liked individuals at our county fair mainly because we have made it a point to learn over the years to breed and present our animals to win.

Keep looking and you will find people that you trust and that will give you help when you ask.

I agree with AAOK.  The competitiveness is out there at the larger shows however it is rarely  as petty as you see at the county level.  We have a standing joke with several families when we get beat by each other that we are "observing the five second rule"  ;).  Its just another cattle show and another persons opinion on that day.  It is the lasting friendships and the appreciation for hard work that I intend for my kids to take away with them when they look back on their time showing cattle not the winning of purple ribbons.  Not that we don't always strive for that.

SSIMMENTALS

I couldn't agree with AAOK more. At our county show, its a bunch of people desperate to win who like to make up reasons why you beat them and be completely rude to you. I think people at the higher level shows are much nicer, and though everyone wants to win, everyone also truly loves what they are doing and  others have enough confidence in their own cattle that it doesn't seem as dog-eat-dog, na-na-na. It may be a bit rocky at first, but if you get out to some bigger shows, you can meet some great people who can offer you tons of help. Just remember there are rotten apples and wonderful people at every level.

fbrmom

I would love to get to some larger shows, but I don't have the resources.  I don't think my husband would go for it either.  I would love to have my daughter do the Pennsylvania farm show sometime, but it would take the right calf and I would have to convince my dad to sell me another calf.  He isn't in to showing and thinks it is a waist of money.  Thinks I will spend more than I make, but I think he has some nice calves if he would just add a few more heifers to his herd, but he and my mom are getting up in age and don't want to do it.  I keep trying to explain they could make enough money selling 4-h calves to pay the taxes, but he don't care and my farm ain't big enough or have the right topography for raising club calves.  My farm is flat as a pancake.  So maybe someday. 

herfluvr

So sorry you had this experience.  The leader sounds like a pickle!  There has to be some nice people that will give you a hand.  We were lucky to have a family member to help us. We have had some success and watch some of the others trying so hard to win using less than ethical means and still getting shut out in the end. Karma sucks for them.  And I am talking about some committee members .  Keep smiling MOM!  There will always be people like this.  THis is a great place to find out knowledge and make some good contacts.  Show your girls a positive attitude and iit will carry through to a successful and FUN fair.  Leave them sour pickles to themselves.  They just grump around and blame and whine about everything.  Just do your thing and keep a grin on.  Makes them wonder what you are up to. 

flacowman

A competitor of mine's mom and mine didn't get along until we both graduated and then they became best of friends.  The girl and I always had the best calves in our county and we got along great but adults hold grudges where kids don't.  Now that we are out of it, the former competitor and I do a fitting clinic together for the area and have become well respected for our impartiality at our local show.  Lesson: some people refuse to give away any advantage (whether real or not) that they think they have and some would be as happy for you to win knowing they helped you as they would be to win theirselves.  Sorry you had a bad experience, but i Promise we are not all like that.

okshowmom

It cracks me up how ugly it is at our podunk county show!You would think it is the World Show! These cut throat people do not show any where but there! My daughters good friend and her family have went thru all the name calling ect, it is sad! They show good cattle and are great people! My daughter and I love going to jackpots and OYE, I am trying to teach her to raise the bar at the bigger shows Thank Godness she sees that!

kattleluver

I started showing cattle in middle school and my family and I did best with what we had.  Which honestly wasn't a whole lot.  Did I ever win, no!  But did I learn a lot and love my time doing it YOU BET!! I became a better person and made life long friendships.  I started breeding my own cattle when I was younger and thru breeding and sire selection I'm getting some nice calves for my kids and family to show.  I got reserve female over all last year and 2nd place cross-bred this year.  I'm sorry that the people you went to didn't offer you any help, I actually feel bad for them.  There are people like that in our area too!! It's sad and I hate to see it but it's everywhere, not just in showing cattle!  I'm the advisor for the cattle kids in our group and I help them all out with ANYTHING breaking, feeding, fitting, barn set up, show day the whole 9 yards.  I would agree with others you have two options (and I'd do both) A - find someone else in your area that will actually HELP you and B - get online (ask questions and read)!  It's just like anything else what works for them might not work for you plus what works for one calf might not work so well for another.  Good Luck and I hope you find someone in your area to help hand on if you ever need it.

fed_champions

Here in Texas, the show circuit is extremely competitive, but beyond asking someone for their family secrets, most people don't mind helping another family with issues. Especially if ur calf is sick, or you need help with something at a show. I have a lot of friends that i showed against, and we were always competitive with each other,but never rude or mean. Don't letthe actions of a few represent the industry as a whole.

LittleHeifer

sorry about your bad experience. okshowmom its the same here.  I have had crap years mainly because A. people didn't want to Help or B. told me wrong whatever AKA my FFA advisor and my 4H leader. this year was awesome and my 4H leader was proud of me till I beat out a heifer my 4H leader bred,then beat out his son in showmanship for the first time in 5 years then I was crap in his eyes. I did so good thanks to an old family friend we reconnected with he has helped me so much. And I agree its not just cattle its every part with adults and kids. in example this was my first year showing rabbits, after extensive studying and practice I managed to win many top quality awards with my rabbits, I was told by one kid who had been showing for years that I shouldn't be allowed to win cause this was my first year. I have learned to let their BS go in one ear and out the other, cause if they act like that they are sore loosers and honestly aren't worth your time. I have learned to take each win as an awesome time but still learn from it and know that thats 1 judges opinion same for a "loss" (I don't see it as a loss anymore but a learning experience for me and my animals that we can grow and improve from.)
Little Heifer (angel)

jlingle

What you're describing is what we call that the "county fair mentality."  This is our second year showing calves.  First & foremost let me say this:  competition is much more friendly in cattle than anything else.  Try showing hogs, goats, sheep, etc.....  those folks are just plain ruthless.  Cattle people are much kinder, much more informative, and much more willing to help new people.  We've had total strangers give us fantastic advice, loan us equipment, had people haul our cattle for us, and do just nearly anything that we could think of to help us.  In turn, we'll do anything in the world to help others as well.  There are people (that we show against & want to beat our brakes off) who will actually help us and our kids & all we've gotta do is ask. 

I know cattle people ain't perfect, but they're the best.  If you want things to get better in your county, don't take part in their "county fair mentality", instead go out & help them and their kids every way possible.

mark tenenbaum

When I started showing I couldnt understand how I kept getting beat by a 43 year old professional farmer(I was 9). He was also quite vacal about how lousy my calves were. I paid $250-he paid over $1000 for his. Well-word got around-and when I was 13 a gentleman with really good Scotsdale and Louada cattle-sold me a good hiefer. He knew nobody did anything with my calves but me. I won every where untill I got to the State fair and the pro tryed anyway possible to have my hiefer disqualified. An exmarine Angus parent found out about it-and told him if he didnt shut up-he would pound his ass. I got second -and was pretty proud. O0

kobo_ranch

County shows are tough... and our county show, well is about as tough as they come for a small town. (here in Central TX).  This is our sons 2nd (and last) year showing cattle after years of showing goats.  I showed about 5 or 6 years when I was a kid about 35 years ago.. wow I'm tellin my age on that one.  :eek:  But as much as things change they still sorta stay the same as far as showing goes around here.  As tough as it is we all get along pretty good around here, although you just sorta learn not to ask any advise cause everything is considered confidential... don't want to share any knowledge that may cause you to possibly get any 'slight' advantage above them.  Although I still like to aggrivate a few of our friends just see what they say.  (lol) Sometimes take it with a grain of salt cause I know that's what they may be giving me!  You also have those that spend a fortune on there cattle and do a good job which makes it tough for the ones who aren't able to (or want to) spend that much.  Concerns me with those about what that is teaching some of the kids about finances.  Regardless I still think showing teaches kids alot about responsibility and hard work.. and the real world.
I'm gonna be really sad after this show season... heck I might have to start showing in some Breeders Shows. 

amandaraithel

My two cents:

We ran into the same "county fair" mentality at our local fair this summer. People tend to try to rake down those that want to put more effort into projects by calling us names, and accusing us of cheating or spending too much cash on our cattle. We might not go back. I spent my own money and time getting buckles donated for the Ch. and Res. heifers and steers along with rosettes for divisions to get the following:  "I thought this was a 4H show...why do we have all of these prizes..." *Sheesh...county fair mentality at its best.*  (argue) Furthermore, back on the subject, I definitely don't think I know everything about showing, but my family has "been around" and we have our own "family secrets" that are only given to best friends and compares such as "hair tonics" and the like.  ::) HOWEVER...I am always willing to help young "show" families with their stock and provide guidance with feed choices, breaking problems and showmanship. After all, isn't the idea of the "show road family" what we all really enjoy about showing cattle anyway. I have been burned doing this as well. I'm the kind of teacher (I have an education degree and taught K-12 art for 7 years) that figures you should work hard to reap benefits. We've been accused of being too harsh to kids wanting to learn...When I tell you once, you should listen and do. Some people just don't listen to advise or want to work hard enough to be successful...Then there is resentment because we are "professionals" and we win at the local level... I really think we win because we have more "want-to," dedication, and commitment to excellence.

DLD

jlingle said:
What you're describing is what we call that the "county fair mentality."  This is our second year showing calves.  First & foremost let me say this:  competition is much more friendly in cattle than anything else.  Try showing hogs, goats, sheep, etc.....  those folks are just plain ruthless.  Cattle people are much kinder, much more informative, and much more willing to help new people.  We've had total strangers give us fantastic advice, loan us equipment, had people haul our cattle for us, and do just nearly anything that we could think of to help us.  In turn, we'll do anything in the world to help others as well.  There are people (that we show against & want to beat our brakes off) who will actually help us and our kids & all we've gotta do is ask. 

I know cattle people ain't perfect, but they're the best.  If you want things to get better in your county, don't take part in their "county fair mentality", instead go out & help them and their kids every way possible.

This, for sure.

Local shows are good for one thing and one thing only as far as I am concerned - getting everyone ticked off at each other.  Fortunately, we're all pretty good at going home and putting it all behind us by the next day.

I expect that pretty much everywhere you go you can find people that won't do anything to help out the competition,  but by the same token I believe if you look around, most places there are people who're more than happy to help out.  It is really a shame if you can't find anyone nearby willing to help out with a breaking problem.

Diamond

as most things in life the bad sticks in our mind more than the good,  I have come across alot of good in the cattle (much more then in showing horses) but I have seen a fair share of bad. including people who you help, pick out a heifer who won her breed at just about every show even agents yourself, hauled said heifer for free, picked up your child to show said heifer,  bid on said heifer, to later have them blackball you from a show and told a DAY befor the show you dident get in, mind you when everyone pulled out I killed myself bringing 14 head to the show so they would have a show (nasty weather) , say nasty stuff behind your back, deny that you ever helped them and pretend they like you to your face...yea, ugly side of cows, I think sometimes people forget your just walking a fuzzy hamberger around a ring... In the long run however, they only make themselfs look like jerks, because I still clip new showmans animals for nothing, give tips and help, and you know what, even if im beat, I feel pride, because thats someon whos going to have their  kids get into it, because of that.

So go ahead and laugh at people who hate you because you bust your butt, work extra hours to buy good ones, work harder to get the purple, and spend hours watching others to learn, its what defines thouse who love our sport, and thouse who cant handle the green eye monster.