Is there any breed whos main attribute is it's junior heifer projects.

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Seems like to me that 75% of todays Shorthorn breed's action is junior heifer projects. Not that it is good or bad. In past history or at todays levels......are other breeds like this?

KSanburg

I think most breeds promote jr. heifer showing completely and some breeders go to great trouble to get heifers out there. How can anyone blame them. Collect a check and get free promotion for your ranch.

aj

I was thinking this morning. I would argue that the popularity of Shorthorns for junior projects is because of the pretty colors. If Shorthorns were all solid red.......in my mind their popularity would decrease for junior projects. The popularity in junior programs keeps the breed alive.

vc

Angus seem to be dominating the heifer shows the past few years, when my kids started it was Shorthorns, seems like everything cycles around.

Medium Rare

Chi about has to be on the list. An that's only if you consider less than 10% as still being in the breed.

A lot of people overlook the fact that kids who show a certain breed as a Jr have a way of coming back later. It might be after college or even after retirement, but they often go searching for the breed that they remember and have much more money to spend the second time around.

There are those who also say today's Jr showmen will be the only chance many breeds have of surviving in any noticeable numbers 20-30 years from now.

KSanburg

Medium Rare it's funny you mention what might be left in 20 or 30 years, when I was in college our coach told us that in 20 years there would only be 4 beef breeds left, while there are still numerous breeds left is less strength in 2 of the breeds he thought would dominate. He claimed that the 4 breeds would be Angus, Hereford, Limi and Maine. I look back at that comment and wonder what happened.

It's interesting watching the breeds cycle through the years, what's popular what's not and where the money gets spent.

mark tenenbaum

Shorthorns are kids cattle so are Herefords-Ive heard it and seen it for years People with very young kids want a Shorthorn or Hereford that they can start with and handle The kids might move away grow up yatta yatta but if they come back its generally these types for thier kids or other reasons O0