is this bad?

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

this cow was ai'd april 21st......is this normal to have a discharge like this?  she had this discharge on 8/3.....on 8/18 she tried to ride a cow but none of the cows were paying any attention to her...i.m nervous about this....she lost her calf about this same time last year....im sooooooo frustrated! 

Attachments

• 100_2855.jpg
    100_2855.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 524
  • 100_2856.jpg
    100_2856.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 100_2857.jpg
    100_2857.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 550

kanshow

That looks alot like the mucous discharge you get when they are in heat.  But again, it could be nothing.    This is a cow I would ultrasound. 

justme

ahhhh the wonders of digital photography.  Can you imagine 10 years ago taking that shot to the kid at Walmart to develop?

We had the same thing happen after Jr. Nationals...ours ended up open :(  at least our clean up bull told us that)  I still hope she's stuck A.I.

Cowboy

Boy I am hating this, but I am really afraid you have an open cow there my girl.

If you project out the heats on a normal 21 day basis -- that would be almost exactly to the day for having 6 heats --

May 12
June 2
June 23
July 13
Aug 3

That looks to be blood to me, a sure sign of either an abortion or blood from ovulation.

I remember this cow from last year -- she DID abort her calf last year due to clearly having afterbirth in the pictures. This looks to be more like ovulation blood, but could also be her cleaning up after a short term abortion -- say in that 90 day zone.

Got to be something going on with her -- wish I was closer to be able to help -- sorry for your bad luck!

Terry

Cowboy

I saved this picture set and brightened them up a bit to see them better, and looking at them now -- it does look like it is more of a heat type discharge -- although there is some blood there too. I'd bet she has just failed to show heat all this time, and this is from her ovulation after another heat.

Sorry -- but she looks to be open from the pictures!

Best of luck from hre on -- Terry

linnettejane

yep, same cow terry.... :-\ ....im so frustrated right now....

thanks everyone....guess ive got some decisions to make....

K_State_Katy

I have a donor that was flushed 3 times as a heifer due to some miss communication when she was sold. We Bought her at market price as a 3 year old and flushed her a couple times then tried to get her to bread. our embryologist said she wasn't making enough progesterone (she would stay pregnant 60 to 90 days then abort) he said to stick a cedar in her after the first 30 days and change them out I forget how often. We never did it she was to high stung to run thru thee shoot that often, but it's a thought. BUT I would not do this if she doesn't have an excuse like being flushed as a heifer. It is possible she has a problem with cyst on her ovaries, and that can be passed to offspring. I don't think there is a point in breeding nonreproductive cattle, but if she is special enough it might be something to look into.

After 5 years of not producing a calf our donor decided she wanted to go spend some "quality" time in the bull pen and she finally had a calf completely natural....we have her baby's daddy narrowed down to 3 bulls. Maybe she needs to go to the bull pen for a while (exposure to the opposite sex can increase hormone levels) Just another thought.

linnettejane

she was ai'd once and then spent two months out with a clean up bull....so something is going on....last year she was with a bull during breeding season....

she has never been flushed....

hey zach....are there any vets your way who have a portable ultrasound machine?    or specialize in reproductive issues?  anyone in se ohio or east of louisville ky?

bcosu

i've heard of cystic cows that don't show heat for several heat cycles and were assumed bred but started jumping cows  that had been exposed to  a bull with her. she did about the same thing. she would get bred about once every two years.

farmboy

linnettejane said:
she was ai'd once and then spent two months out with a clean up bull....so something is going on....last year she was with a bull during breeding season....

hey zach....are there any vets your way who have a portable ultrasound machine?    or specialize in reproductive issues?  anyone in se ohio or east of louisville ky?

i really dont know

DL

zach said:
linnettejane said:

i really dont know

LJ - how far are you from Ohio State? Also any dairy vets around? Many now use ultrasound routinely. You could also call the Ohio Vet Med Association and see who is a 60 mile radius or so does cattle work - good luck!

linnettejane

ohio state is an option....im about 4-5 hours from columbus....its starting to look more and more like that is where im going to have to head....
i dont know of any dairy's around, but i will check on that also, thanks for the tip...
i was wondering about horse vets, i know of a couple about an hour or so from here...would they routinely use ultrasound?

she was riding again this evening....no discharge....no cows paying any attention to her...she kept riding the same cow....no other cows riding the cow she keeps riding...ugh... :mad:

DL

Most of the horse vets I know won't do cow work - horses are actually easier to ultrasound that cows, so if you need an expert opinion that isn't the route I would go