Its not working....Cidrs that is!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Ok, I have been accused of being "wound a bit tight", but I pulled cidrs at 10:30 am on Friday, and NOTHING....not so much as two cows "enjoying each others company". No licking, no butting, no chin resting....NOTHING.  :mad:
Now I might be assuming the worst, but darn it.....sure make the grey hairs appear!  :eek:
So what does everyone else do while they are "patiently waiting"? Its about to drive me nuts!!!! ;D

Show Heifer

Yep, 2cc of estrumate. Its about to drive me nuts...really....it is.......just about to resort to making yet ANOTHER batch of cookies!!!! ;D

showcattlegal

I have always had really good luck with ciders until last year. All the A.I cows came into good heats, but my recips 2 out of the six came into heat. The other 4 nothing at all.

Show Heifer

Like I said, I am not patient....but so far today I have had 15 come into heat.....that leave 10 in this group!
I have been told that "induced heat" is a bit longer than natural heat, and so you should wait longer to AI them....so that is what I am doing. I guess I will know in about 40 days when I check them!
Thanks for your help everyone!
Happy breeding! ;D

red

Show Hef- you wound a bit tight? Na, just maybe excitable!
Hope the other 10 came in too!

Red

Chap

just to give you some example of my experiences.  We pull cidrs and shot with 5cc of lut on a Wednesday pm on a group of 25 virgin heifers,  on friday morning (36 hours) we had 4 standing, at 48 there were 8 standing, 7 standing at 60 hours, and 4 at 72 hours.  2 non-responders.  Heats were pretty long on about half and a little short on about 25%.  I have been using Cidrs for about 4 years and the earliest I have ever seen a good stand was at 36 hours.  Time breed protocol reccommends breeding at 60-72 hours and that would have certainly caught the vast majority of mine over that 4 year period.  Cleanliness, Timing and proper storage and administration of the lut/estrumate are very important.  I had a freind who set up a group and his vet delivered the lut to his house and put it in his 35 degree refrigerator.  he had very poor response, because the lut is to be stored at room temp and it was therefore ruined when it was refrigerated.  hope this helps

red

Chap- good point on reading the labels on what to refrigerate & what needs to be stored at room temp!

Thanks so much!

Red (clapping)

Show Heifer

As of this morning, all but 4 will have responded....and all but one (soft cervex) bred well, even though some stood for 15-18 hours. I guess I will find out in July when I ultrasound! I'm already looking forward to it!
Hey Red, glad to see your amoung us again! Hope your feeling better!

DL

Chap said:
just to give you some example of my experiences.  We pull cidrs and shot with 5cc of lut on a Wednesday pm on a group of 25 virgin heifers,  on friday morning (36 hours) we had 4 standing, at 48 there were 8 standing, 7 standing at 60 hours, and 4 at 72 hours.  2 non-responders.  Heats were pretty long on about half and a little short on about 25%.  I have been using Cidrs for about 4 years and the earliest I have ever seen a good stand was at 36 hours.  Time breed protocol reccommends breeding at 60-72 hours and that would have certainly caught the vast majority of mine over that 4 year period.  Cleanliness, Timing and proper storage and administration of the lut/estrumate are very important.  I had a freind who set up a group and his vet delivered the lut to his house and put it in his 35 degree refrigerator.  he had very poor response, because the lut is to be stored at room temp and it was therefore ruined when it was refrigerated.  hope this helps

Not to be a problem (??) but there is no rational or scientific reason that Lutalyse would be "ruined" by storing in in the refrigerator - it is a prostaglandin F 2 alpha analog - I'll check into this further but we have stored various analogs in the freezer without loss of potency --- I suspect it was something in the management not a ruined drug...I agree - time breeding in those you don't see in heat is a good idea....

Bulldogg

show heifer - My noresponders get a second lut shot at 11 days after pulling the Cidrs (day 0). They usually come in 48 hours later. If not I time breed at 72. It has worked good for me..