Ivomec for dogs

Help Support Steer Planet:

smurf

Has anyone treated dogs with Ivomec?  What dosage do you use?

Thanks.

Shady Lane

I would DEFINITELY check with your vet before you attempt to Ivomec your dog.

Not sure if you are talking about pour on or injectable?

I've been told that Ivemectin is poisonous to dogs.

I once gave a little squirt to a mangy looking cat thinking I was doing it a favour and it spun in circles and staggered around for quite a while. It has since reccovered and been fine for the last several years.

I later found out that it wasn't a good idea.

Lots of dog worming products on the market.

BRdoc

I have given 1 cc injectable(orally) to my border collies for years. It does work great. However, I am not saying it is safe for your dog. I can only speak for my own dogs!! My vet shakes his head but my dogs have no tics or fleas.

Stihlpro

I have a student who's Dad owns a Dairy and on an SAE visit they were worming.  Dad gave a shot to the 2 dogs.  I laughed but he said it works well and he's been doing it for years.

dori36

smurf said:
Has anyone treated dogs with Ivomec?  What dosage do you use?

Thanks.

Many of the herding breeds have a genetic makeup that makes them susceptible to a very bad/lethal reaction to Ivermectin.  My Aussie didn't have it but many others do.  If a dog reacts badly, it frequently results in death.  If I were going to try to use Ivermectin based products on my herding breed dog, I'd do it first at my Vet's office where, hopefully, the dog could be life supported.  My Aussie got into coyote dens often enough that she ended up with scabies (sarcoptic mange).  One very effective treatment is an injection of Ivermectin.  I had it done at the vet's office and she was ok.  I'm thinking that dna testing can determine if a dog carries the defective gene.  Btw, I asked my Vet what to expect if my Aussie 'did' react and she told me about a Golden Retriever (yeah, I know ...not a herding breed) that very unexpectedly reacted and fell over before they ever got to their car!  Be careful! 

And, because I have another Aussie, when I treat for heartworms, I use Revolution as it contains "selamectin", a close relative of Ivermectin but doesn't cause the problem.  Revolution also keeps them free of the common intestinal worms as well as preventing heartworms.

kanshow

I know a lot of dog people who use the swine injectable orally on dogs for heartworm.  It is a very tiny dose given orally once a month.    Like Dori says .. there are some individuals in several herding breeds that cannot tolerate it  - collies, border collies, Aussies are the main breeds that you have to watch.  Even at that , if they are not genetically disposed to have a problem, you can use ivermectrin products on them.

oldwood

i use it all the time with my bear dogs, with no problems. But I dont give it to my black dogs, I was told it will kill them, not about to find out.

AAOK

I've used injectible Ivomec for at least 10 years as tick prevention for my cow dog.  He is 1/2 Healer & 1/2 Australian, about 60 pounds.  I give him 1 1/2 cc orally once a month thru the season.  He will have quite a few ticks by the time for treatment, but all are gone in just a few days.  Duration is about 3 weeks.

kanshow

Collies are the worst and at one time thought to be the only breed it affected.    Since then, we've heard about the very occasional border collie and aussie that would have an adverse reaction.    We give it to the corgis and our old border collie with zero problems.    I know for a fact the old border collie has had cattle pour-on ivomectrin applied in a pretty stout dose and he never had any problems.       

jlingle

Guys, we have a greyhound farm.  We make our living raising and training dogs.  Ivomec injectable is the ONLY thing we worm adult dogs with.  .1 cc per 10 lbs is the rule of thumb for younger dogs, but for a 70 or 80 lb adult dog we'll generally round it up to a full cc and go with it.  We worm every month, every dog on the place, and we've done the same thing every month for years and years.  Ivomec injectable has never harmed a single dog on our place. 

hevmando

Smurf,

Be very careful.  Like the above posts stated, some dogs tolerate it w/o incident, others die.  I talked to a vet friend of mine and he asked if I did the conversion.  When I did, the appropriate dosage is something like .1 cc/80 #.  I gave a dog 1 cc once, he started getting better, gave him a second dose 1 week later and he was next in line in the windbreak cemetary for dogs.  Mine was a lab/lab cross like yours.  :)  Of course I talked to my vet friend after the shovel was put away.  ??? I do not disagree with any of the previous posts, but do you want to be wrong?  Your friendly neighbor.

hunter1

works great but do not give to a puppy that under 4 months old their bodies just can't handle it. Had a dog one time that had been to the vet for heartworms and it was gonna cost at least 500.00 to treat came home and grandpa said give it 3cc's ivomec and it would either cure him or kill him same as what was gonna happen at the vet and it cured him. We have used it for 20t years and have had no problem with it and it kills fleas and ticks. just can't beat it so use it.

lightnin4

The vet I used to work for mixed injectable Ivomec with strongid (pyrantel, nemex, etc.) in 30 cc bottles for some of the local coon hunters who had alot of dogs.  That's basically what you get in a heartgard chewable.  I never mixed it myself, but I think there was only 0.1 or 0.2 cc in 30 cc of strongid-with a 1cc per 10 lb. bodyweight dose.  The amount of Ivomec it takes to control heartworms is very small.

HT

Orally, 0.1CC/10lbs i think, and be careful on the breed of dog you give it too, some hounds cant take it for some reason. The vet at the university told me it can cause nerological issues with some breeds, i give it to our boxers and our mutt once a month for over 8 years now, and the old dogs are runnin strong!

jbw

I had a guy  tell me that he used it on his hounds and killed one, his vet said that it's hard on the kidneys. 

Zach...I would use at least 100cc on a bluetick...that should clean him up...if you are lucky he will turn into a redtick!!! <rock> (lol) <beer>  JK