Ivomec on show cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

We have a couple of steers and couple of heifers that are starting to get a little scratchy, if we pour them with Ivomec how long should we wait before we go back to working the hair? Yes, I know there is the injectable but don't want to take a chance on getting a site reaction.

chambero

The 6 hour label on the bottle is intended to be for rain - which is different than scrubbing one down and washing them.

Pour on will chaff their skin a little. 

So, what I was taught to do a long time ago - and still do because it works - is pour them last thing in the evening before turning them out of their stalls and then I wash them the next morning. 

I strongly prefer Cydectin over Ivomec - it doesn't chaff them.

I use pour on, but you aren't going to get an injection site reaction with the injectable.  That occurs with some vaccines and antibiotics, but I've never seen it with the wormers. 

We use Cydectin once a month all year.  The best thing to do in my opinion is alternate it with Ivomec or Safeguard a couple of times a year just to make sure you are killing anything resistant to your primary wormer.

JWW

I generally use cydectin in my show calves and same as chambero said, wash early one day and put it on after being dry and then wash late the next day or just do a lite rinse or spray bottle rinse for that day after.

care should be take n with generic Ivermectins because they can burn the hair right off the back of a calf

injectables seem to work well for us too

JWW

mainegirl

We try to stay away from the pour on wormer for the show calves. We'll use it maybe 2 or 3 times total just to switch it up. We have done well with SafeGuard and if you have any external parasites, Cydectin works really well for them. When we do use the pour on, I was told that it should sink in and take effect within 2 hours, then you can wash the calf.

Our fair always puts pour on wormer on all of the calves at tag-in (weigh in). We never cared cause it was a free worming for us. Our weigh in is the weekend before MAJAC. We'll one year I had a chromed up steer I was planning on taking to the show. I didn't wash the calf until a day or so after weigh in. When I went to scrub him, his hair on his shoulder started to peel off in strips. They didn't spread the wormer down his back enough and it burned his hide. Needless to say, I couldn't take him to MAJAC or the April shows around here. After that, I made sure I was the only one pouring stuff on my cattle.  That's the reason I don't use pour on like I used to. :)

willow

We use Ivermectin on our show calves, BUT we only use it in months that end with an "R".  Iin the other months (which would be now) we inject them.  The Ivermectin has ALWAYS made our red hided cattle get scaly and it doesn't go aways very fast.  We don't get much if any of an injection site reaction with wormer as was previously mentioned. 

shortdawg

chambero said:
The 6 hour label on the bottle is intended to be for rain - which is different than scrubbing one down and washing them.

Pour on will chaff their skin a little. 

So, what I was taught to do a long time ago - and still do because it works - is pour them last thing in the evening before turning them out of their stalls and then I wash them the next morning. 

I strongly prefer Cydectin over Ivomec - it doesn't chaff them.

I use pour on, but you aren't going to get an injection site reaction with the injectable.  That occurs with some vaccines and antibiotics, but I've never seen it with the wormers. 

We use Cydectin once a month all year.  The best thing to do in my opinion is alternate it with Ivomec or Safeguard a couple of times a year just to make sure you are killing anything resistant to your primary wormer.

ditto

Rocky Hill Simmental

I agree with mainegirl. For my show animals, I use Safeguard. It's not cheap but it's worth it to not have flaking skin. When they have flies, I use a gentle fly sprays like Show Master Repel and Bronco.