Ivormec Injectable given IM or Sub Q

Help Support Steer Planet:

feeder duck

Has anyone ever given Ivormec  Injectable IM instead of Sub Q. If so any problems?

Jeff C.

Earthmover

Directions on the bottle say Sub-q. Just did the whole herd last week. Don't know why youwould deviate from manuf. recomendation. Imo Im and SQ the only difference is speed of delivery to the system.

SFASUshowman

SQ...never deviate from manufacturers suggestion unless a vet tells you to do so...there are differences other than speed of delivery.  Such as pain, abcess, etc...Ivermectic BURNS, and while I am not sure about the specific reasons ivermectin is administered SQ a lot of SQ drugs have a much higher risk of abcess IM than they do SQ...plus on any meat type animal you should really try to avoid IM injections because of meat quality.

feeder duck

I usually never give Ivormec by needle. Just pour. Had my head up my butt and was putting in CIDR and lute shot at the same time and spaced it. I am really not worried about any issues other than she is a show heifer and I do not want any knot on her neck.

Thanks

Bulldaddy

Studies have shown that injectable wormer is more effective than pour on.  Also, Cydectin is more effective than ivermectin because it is a newer class of wormer with less parasite resistance.  If you are worried about an injection site blemish, give the shot under the skin over the ribcage, just behind the shoulder.  If you get a bump there it won't be as noticeable.

CPL

I don't know how much your heifer weighs but you also want to make sure you never inject more than 10cc in a single spot.

I personally like the injectable better, it just takes a lot more labor input when you're working a lot of cows.