Ivy League

Help Support Steer Planet:

herf96

This bull impresses me and I know one of the owners runs around on the board.  J3 tell me what type of cows you believe he will work on and what frame size is he?  Will he throw the clubby style shorthorn?  He appears in the picture to be extremely big topped and hippend and big boned.  I am impressed.  Tell me what he should work best on, and if he will make some clubby type calves.

shortyjock89

Hey, I'm not J3, but I think I'm pretty darn familiar with the bull, and his genetics. 

I think he needs to be put on a bigger framed cow, but he sure is bred to make some fantastic heifers and steers.  I think he's a mid 5 frame bull.  I think he's gonna work great on Double Stuff/Double Vision stuff that needs softened up.  I think if you used him on Waukaru, or other really maternal stuff, he could make some wicked good breeding heifers.  We plan on using him on some of those bigger type cows, along with a more moderate Hoosier Hot Shot female to make some clubby calves.  She may get flushed that way this summer. 

I think he would work well on some bigger type Angus females too that need more thickness, hair, and style. 

I hope I didn't get that too wrong Josh, and I hope this helped some Herf96  (welcome)

herf96

Thanks for your thoughts on the bull.  It has been awhile since I have seen a shorthorn bull, especially th and pha free that truly impressed me.  I am sure I will use him some this fall.  I  just have a few shorthorn cows.

CAB

I'm sure that Josh will reply when he gets time to look @ the thread. I think that Justin has the bull figured out also.
My wife & I met Josh & his wife Katie last night @ an intersection as they were headed north to her folks for a quick week. For those of you on this board that buy semen and it makes some difference to you who you buy from, IMHO, you can't find better more sincere and honest PPL than the Ramsey's. They will go the extra distance to serve their customers right and to treat PPL fairly. That includes semen customers and cattle buyers alike. We will continue to watch the bulls that Josh puts together closely to see if they may have a place in our program and if they do, we will try to use them. I honestly think that Josh's Catalyst bull needs to be used some in the Maine breed for structure and maternal values. Josh showed us a bunch of pictures of Catalyst calves out of a wide variety of cows and he will work to moderate, extend, and put the legs under them correctly almost all of the time. Catalyst is a 3/4 blood brother to Top Sires new bull Gucci also. ( Sleeper Bull ), IMO. Brent

clifflem

I looked at Ivy League at REI a couple weeks ago.  He is a really complete bull that is well proportioned and sound.  He is not really all that big, but there are enough big cows out there that he could help.  If I was going to pick on him any, I would like to see him a little wider through his stifle and maybe show a little more shape through his quarter when viewed from behind.  I liked him about as good as any Shorthorn bull I have looked at for a while. 
Another thing that I liked was when I looked up his mother's pedigree, she has lots of older show steer and Irish genetics behind her.  She is also 11 years old, so there should be some longevity in the Ivy League calves.  We are planning on using him some this year.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I think he would work well on some bigger type Angus females too that need more thickness, hair, and style. 

So are you saying that I shouldn't use him?  I was seriously tossing around the idea of trying him next year. 

j3cattleco

Thanks for the interest in Ivy League,  I think Justin explained him pretty well.  I think Ivy League will work best on those bigger, harder sided cows that need softened up while maintaining look and soundness.  We saw Ivy yesterday and he looks as advertised.  He is getting a little skinny, we probably need to up his feed some.  He is has been at stud for 10 weeks straight now and could probably use a break, but we will have to get some semen stored.  He froze 400 units last week so if he keeps that up he should get a break soon enough.  

Thanks Brent for the comments, it was a joy to catch up with you and your wife also.  I am posting the new picture of Catalyst above.  

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Haha...good one TJ...I think he'd be a dandy one for you to use.

Justin, that varmint in your avatar picture is probably going to get Ivy League or Gus next year.  Depends upon how the Ivy League calves look & how much I want to frame her up.  I think that either mating could have some serious potential.   

herf96

Will he work to make shorthorn clubbies.  I know that the bottom side of his pedigree was used heavy in the club calf business, but is he enough extreme being a sonny son to throw that look in his offspring?  I am glad you are using REI it is a top notch place.  His mother must be a great  one to be around as long as she has.  What is her track record?

j3cattleco

I think he will work both ways.  I know sonny isn't known for clubby, but this bull is softer and stouter than most sonny son's I have seen.  His momma raised a all white double vision heifer that Allison Bond showed in Oklahoma pretty successfully.  Her next calf was a Navajo son that Bill Lane in Eastern Ok bought.  Nick Reiman has been buying calves out of that bull.  He bought a red and white heifer that he turned into a cow to breed to heatwave.  Then we have Ivy League, before these here calves sold as steers into Texas.  She has been pretty consistent.  We have a red neck full brother on the ground that looks good along with 2 heifers out of Dividend and a bull out of Dividend that look good.  We kinda like her!

j3cattleco

mark tenenbaum said:
wonder how ivy laegues dam would work with ALM Chiller, or Free For All

Well we would like to try Ivy League's mom on a lot of bulls yet, our next planned flush was to justintime's bull leroy, however she has bombed her last flush attempt so we are going to turn her in with the bull.  Hopefully, we can get her going again. 

TMJ Show Cattle

Hey there Justin ,my friends in crime bought some of Ivy League so I will have some available.I think you ought to consider Crimson Tide on that ole gal,if you get her untracted again.Just a thought.

Latest posts