jabbs on other boards

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

OK, somehow my name was brought into some "jabs" on another board.  I come home thinking what the heck?  I think when we surf these other boards its great to mention SP.  Just remember let's do it with some class and be tactful.  Most of us surf these boards and its great to expose people to the planet, but we don't need a reputation for fighting and bashing. 

By the way....I'm only cheerleaders for Evan and Danielle <party> <party>....my kids.  I hate being brought up in a post for help that I have no idea what its about lol.

red

rah rah rah Gidget!!!!  <party>  <party> <party>  <party>

I guess I'm confued about the posts too. I guess if they're talking about you you must be doing something! I made a promise to Janey (CC) that I would not post anything negative or get into any cat fights (sorry AJ  ;) ) on her board. Bad enough here!

Red

justme

Sorry to sound like a pain in the butt everyone...I just am tired of all the name calling and stuff.  We don't have to get along, just tollerate.  That has been my goal and my life sure is easier since the hate emails went away.

knabe

can i post another science article now?

on a happy note, i just got a new job, and my old job wants me to work extremely part time at my full salary for 2.5 months because someone is being difficult.

being difficult is like holding someone for ransom.  in the end, it just doesn't work.  you are still unhappy.  since i'm a recovering difficult person, it's good to know one can make progress, even at my advanced age.

lately i've been trying to set up scenario's where if i disagree with something, i just ask a question, or walk away instead of engage.  i just did it about an hour ago.  oops.  sometimes a draw is all that's necessary.

OH Breeder

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the "other" boards some of the posters are so nasty. that is the ONE thing here is we usually treat one another with respect and don't make nasty comments in regards to post. I have pretty much stopped posting on other boards because of the foul language or negative comments.
I am glad to be on another planet.

doubled

HERE HERE- I think overall we really all like and respect each other-

Rustynail

When I was looking for show cattle boards I didn't find hardly any?  What other boards are there?  I really like this one, but just curious.

fluffer

Rustynail said:
When I was looking for show cattle boards I didn't find hardly any?  What other boards are there?  I really like this one, but just curious.

Haha, Thanks rustynail- I had the same question  ;D :)))  Thanks Zach

Fluffer

ELBEE

If ever you want some self inflicked bashing? Just mention something about your own bull, on another board.

The grade-schoolers come out like a swarm of mad hornets to syber-bully!  :D

red

ELBEE said:
If ever you want some self inflicked bashing? Just mention something about your own bull, on another board.

The grade-schoolers come out like a swarm of mad hornets to syber-bully!   :D

or brag about your kid or even how you did at a show! It seems that if you offer an opinion they jump all over you. seems to be same people too.

Red

knabe

here's an attempt to attract flies.  i have two bull calves, one weighed 119, the other 125.  should i cut them?

mrs sawboss

One of the things I like best about this board is the support of the other members, especially in regards to show results, feed problems, health issues of animals, etc.  How sad for the other boards that their members cannot be happy for the success of others.  Life is too short to have such a hateful attitude.  One of my favorite sayings is "Happiness and hatred cannot exist in the same heart."  If we would all keep that in mind, the world would be such a better place!

knabe

also,

my new job is with a cardiovascular, stroke diagnostic company that hopes to have a two day turnaround on blood samples for both screening, and diagnostics for therapy.  it seems the hoopla of saving the world by sequencing the human genome one could cure everything, especially story stocks for funding.  diagnostics is an interum step, ie, you need to know what you have genetically, as most of the single gene problems, often called low hanging fruit have been theorhetically been discovered, you also need to know if you are responding to medication, and this can be monitored with gene expression levels theorhetically.  there isn't much results in this area for long term symptom relief and how corrolated and/or causal the therapy is.  to me, a danger is some "cures" may be corrorlated with gene expression, but not causal, and it's something else.  there probably wil be some lawsuit, and then the company will redirect their assets into another acne cream or cosmetic surgery.

"cures" for diseases without changing the germline are still a ways off, as a single failure, ie the kid who died with the bone marrow disable virus delivery system will get overblown and only one failure is sufficient to kill all funding in the days of spraying a pheromone for moths is allowed to be described literally as a terrorist act by the media with equal weight as studies showing the chemical is innocuous.  nothing like giving equal weight to no actual data.

red

that is so cool Knabe! What will your role be?

(clapping) (clapping) Red

OH Breeder

knabe said:
also,

my new job is with a cardiovascular, stroke diagnostic company that hopes to have a two day turnaround on blood samples for both screening, and diagnostics for therapy.  it seems the hoopla of saving the world by sequencing the human genome one could cure everything, especially story stocks for funding.  diagnostics is an interum step, ie, you need to know what you have genetically, as most of the single gene problems, often called low hanging fruit have been theorhetically been discovered, you also need to know if you are responding to medication, and this can be monitored with gene expression levels theorhetically.  there isn't much results in this area for long term symptom relief and how corrolated and/or causal the therapy is.  to me, a danger is some "cures" may be corrorlated with gene expression, but not causal, and it's something else.  there probably wil be some lawsuit, and then the company will redirect their assets into another acne cream or cosmetic surgery.

"cures" for diseases without changing the germline are still a ways off, as a single failure, ie the kid who died with the bone marrow disable virus delivery system will get overblown and only one failure is sufficient to kill all funding in the days of spraying a pheromone for moths is allowed to be described literally as a terrorist act by the media with equal weight as studies showing the chemical is innocuous.  nothing like giving equal weight to no actual data.
If you don't mind me asking Knabe what company? I work in that industry.

itk

knabe said:
here's an attempt to attract flies.  i have two bull calves, one weighed 119, the other 125.  should i cut them?

I hate to ask the obvious but how old were they when they weighed that. If they were a month or so old when they weighed that much you should be fine and it seems like they are on a healthy growth curve, so leave them intact. Unless they are carriers of TH or PHA then you should get rid of them asap I hear that stuff is highly contagious. Also were they out of Heatwave? If not could you lie and say they were out of HW so I will think they are better then they really are if you make steers out of them. Or finally you could try to say you are from Canada where a BW like that is more acceptable so they could stay bulls.

justintime

Knabe,
I am from Canada and if these calves were here, in my herd, they would be cut. 119 and 125 lb BWs are excessive in any climate. Your cows may be able to have calves this size with few problems, but you are never sure of what another person's herd can handle, in regards to BWs. Personally, I would cut them and save the possibility of future grief from a disgruntled bull buyer in the future.

knabe

Hey JIT, it was tongue in cheek.  they are definately being cut.  the 125 monster is really growing.  i estimate he will be around 1400, but will try and take some of the grow out of him.  he's definately got more in him than the negotiator calf last year, though he's not as stylish, he's waaaaaay more sound.

their weights have me a little concerned that my cows are too well fed.  since my pasture is irrigated, i was thinking of just dry lotting them in the last two months.  the year i first got them, they were pretty run down, and it took a while for one of them to get greased back.

near term goals, are to introgress the bovigen markers and taste with my own mouth whetere this is a good thing or not by getting a set of females that are homo for all the markers with a combo of free access to pasture and grain.  it seems several maine breeders are doing this (marker introgression), as most people are keeping this secret.  i got real lucky with one female who is homo for the 3rd rarest QG marker, but none of the other 3, which are easy to get except for number 3 which is the rarest.  again, she's the one out of a definate pha carrier, and her mother was a potenial carrier, and she's not.  this combines potentially two different alleles for the PHA gene in a non-carrier package.  this is the reason for pendleton and wild turkey who she will be bred to on the second calf.  it's another source of a pha allele in a free package with bottom side heavily line bred, pendleton, and extremely rare genetics with wild turkey, ie smithbuilts full sister.

the other thing i'm trying to do, is never feed grain to anything except the feeders to "introgress" grassfed methylation, with the power of maines, while keeping fertility, soundness, you know, all the things your are not supposed to be able to do, combine carcass and maternal traits.  the feeding grain thing is kind of misleading, as grass has grain, as does hay, and high sugar rye grass has more sugar than regular grass.  since this is a break even venture on maintenance, feeding, i don't feel too much pressure to market anything yet.

people around here have really downsized in frame score their herds rather dramatically.  i'm assuming the only way anyone would ever consider purchasing a maine around here is if bw's are addressed.