Jackpot calf breakdown

Help Support Steer Planet:

40yrold4her

I would like to read opinions and different ways people break down there calves after shows. I do not break down after the show the family wants to go home right away sometimes out of nessecity because of work obligations. I spray adhesive areas with foam and load them up. When I get home I use It's gone and brush/blow dry the adhesive out and depending if it is two late or not either then wash them out the next morning or do it that night. Most of the time I am to tired and do it the next morning.We show breeding heifers, market heifers and then steers so we do not have time to break anything down at the show unless we wait until after the show is over. Am I putting to much stress on leg hair,waiting this long to wash the calves out? Also when I first started out showing jackpot shows I did not have the best blowers, I did not get one dry enough for the way home and had to deal with sickness issues the next day which makes me timid also about washing and traveling.

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

red

I usally spray the It's Gone at the show & try to break down as much as possible. Washing there depends on time & weather.
When I get home, I use more It's Gone & wash w/ an Anti Fugus shampoo. Also spray down the halters & show equipment w/ anti fungus spray.
Make sure the clipper heads are cleaned & oiled too!

Sounds like what you're doing is fine though. I agree, everyone wants to load up & get going ASAP!

Red

Jill

Has anyone else had trouble with it's gone leaving flaky stuff in the hair?  I love this product for breaking them down, but I haven't been really happy with how it leaves the skin where I have used it.

We generally break them down at the show and wash them out weather plays a big role in that decision this time of year, on a 1 day show if we are in the final drive sometimes we are just too tired and everyone is ready to go so we will oil them and take them home and finish washing in the morning.

cowz

We usually rinse with vinegar when we get home....seems to slow the dandruff...but I always use the Its Gone and take the time to wash at the show...the risk of losing more hair is to important to us.  Besides, the next day is for doing laundry and cleaning out the truck right?

chambero

I used to love taking them down with the old purple oil.  It was kind of fun to mess with when I was a kid.

Most of the shows we go to now are Blow and Go, so I've just still been using Hocus Pocus.  Haven't tried Its Gone yet. 

reno1014

Okay....being our first year with calves we took the same precautions as we did with hogs.
wash before you leave your farm wash at the show, and as soon as you get home wash before they even get close to the barn.
Am I being paranoid?  I didnt care if it was midnight we washed our calf before he went to the barn.  I also disinfect the trailer and
his hooves.  Is this why I am STILL tired?  And what is the "norm?" 

shortyisqueen

I like to get the glue out of their hair asap after a show. I still use Hocus Pocus, rub it in, blow it out and then wash. If we're travelling somewhere, I wash legs out without getting the rest of their body wet (so they stay warm). It doesn't take long and means I don't have to wash them immediately after getting home. I still give them a thorough washing the day after the show in case I missed any spots.

The last time we went to Denver, we were to leave the barns immediately after the Shorthorn show and had a three days drive ahead of us in cold, cold weather. We washed legs and were good to go. They didn't loose any hair after the trip, so we must have got all the glue out! No pneumonia either.