Jakes Pride? SEK

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

ELBEE said:
Anytime you all are in N E Kansas stop by. The doors always open, the coffees hot, and the cattle are ready to look at.   

Not sure exactly where KSU (Manhattan,KS) is but I'm going to be there this summer for the  Shorthorn KEY Conference....will that be anywhere near your farm?, because I would really love to see your cattle.

ELBEE

We are about 45 minutes north, just off the highway that runs to Lincoln, NE. Angie makes that commute 5 days a week, She works for Manhattan FD Code Services.

aj

Stick, I think they were talking about Deerpark Dividend, the ol legend. At one time he was the hottest shorthorn bull out there. Semen got as high as 500$. I think he was th clean. He was horned and spotted. He recorded record number of offspring. I think mr. Olde imported Dividend, Ildeno, maybe Improver, in the late 70's. At first Divedend wasn't accepted into the Shorthorn herdbook. I think alden bought dividend and got him into the herdbook. The irish shorthorns were a on fire outcross for many years. Dividend ruled the breed for many years. I think alot of ohlde. He breeds the cattle the way he wants them and not the way some academic judge tells hin to. He breeds angus the way they are supposed to look. Why do we always try and change cattle when we should just try and duplicate the good ones. 6807 is a great bull nomatter what decade you are in. ;D

iowa

aj, you are right. The post was about Deerpark Dividend. Tim did buy him at 2 months of age and then had him imported.  If you ever have a chance to go and see Tim's cattle, you will be amazed at how uniform those Angus and Angus II cattle are. I was blown away at the how good his cattle are. He is also a very interesting person to talk to.  His shorthorns are just as good and impressive as the Angus.  He has figured out how to duplicate the good ones many times over.

stick

Where did Beef Genetics Research play into the Irish thing? I think they were located in Kansas. Who were in the US first, Dividend and Improver, or Leggs?
I didn't know Tim was involved with Dividend. I always thought it was Aldens.

iowa

Stick,  I am not completely familiar with all the bulls that Tim helped import. He did tell me that he personally was in Ireland and saw Dividend as a 2 month old calf and bought him at that time to be imported.  Alden's bought him after he had been imported.  Elbee might be a good source on this subject. I talked with him today on the phone about his cattle and he told me Tim had imported Improver 3rd on the second round of imports from Ireland.  I believe Leggs was bred  and born at W.O. Shorthorns here in Iowa out of an imported cow. They have a website on showsteers.com and have a picture of Leggs and a small writeup about him.

aj

There was a guy named dick judy or something like that from mankato, ks. Maybe he imported dividend I don't know. I think alden bought him after he was imported. I know Virgil Wegner form Norton ks told me he had a chance to buy him once. Now Virgil wegner from HUB's Shorthorns was in my opinion , a great cattle breeder. He and his son in law steve linebred a great line of maternal cattle that helped get the Shorthorns out of the mud so to speak. He seemed to me to breed cattle the way he liked them and when the pendulem swung around he was in the right place at the right time. He was the nicest man I have ever met. When the horns were looking to ad growth and frame in the late 70's they found a place to go in the HUB's cattle. I may stand corrected about the the importer of dividend. Corn planting has fried my brain. :-\

ELBEE

Some of the facts are a little blurry to me. What I am sure of: Tim Olde traveled to Ireland and viewed Quane's herd. Beef Genetics Research was a group of cattlemen that worked together to import some of the first. Deerpark Improver 3rd had a lazy JY brand on his ribs that belonged to Dick Judy. What I am fairly certain of: The cattle were not registered until after they were sold by BGR.

sjcattleco

red said:
He's probalby going to kill me! But I love his little girl!

bighamfamily.jpg

[/quote

LOL my future daughter in law unless Lee knocks Jared in the head for something he probably deserved!!!!]

clifflem

aj-- I'll second what you said about the Hub's cattle.  Virgil and Steve developed a great set of linebred cattle that were right for the times in the 70's and 80's.  I think they had the most uniform set of cows of any kind I ever had the opportunity to look through.  There wasn't much difference in the cows.  They were also some of the nicest people I had the opportunity to look at cattle with and show cattle for.  We used some of their pedigrees back then and still have some cows that trace to them that are good producers..
I also had the good luck to acquire an interest in a bull in the mid 80's that was a son of the old Deerpark Leader bull out of a Leggs cow that was probably one of the best breeding bulls I have ever used.  The Deerpark Leaders really linebreed well.  It seems that the more influence of the old Leader bull you can get in them, the better they are.

stick

Didn't they sell some heifers in  a sale in Michigan last fall?