Jakes Proud jazz calving ease

Help Support Steer Planet:

oldwood

Anyone  had any troubles using him on heifers, i was told  he is calving ease,  want other opinions.
thanks

jd720

Had one last month first calf heifer no problems.Pretty nice heifer calf too.

Steer4Caddy

I know someone who bred about 30 to him and wouldn't do it again.  Granted these were clubby type heifers though.  There were some tremendous calves out of the group though.

rookie

I had a Jakes Proud Jazz bull calf out of first calf heifer and it was 83 lbs but the cow was a 112 lb calf herself, ( she had it with no trouble). I thought it was a pretty good sized calf because the cows family always has large calves.

DFSC

We breed him to all our heifers. They've all been small and turn out to be pretty darn nice. I will use him again.

colosteers

Have used JPJ on hfrs for the last 2 years and will start calving the 3rd crop here soon,  so far--  no problems at all.  Have gotten all small and alive calves and hope it continues.  Some have been marketable and have kept some for replacement hfrs.

hope this helps

Jacob B

From what I gather, I would say he is not a calving ease sire.  More of a small birth weight kind of sire.  He will throw those old style smaller birth weights out of those typical bigger framed cows.  i say not a calving ease because I always thought more of the shape with calving ease.  They tend to be fairly blocky, straighter fronted when they come out.  So, a smaller framed heifer that has a smaller pelvic size to start with may not be the way to go.  That is just what I have heard.  I have had no personal experience myself.

aj

I have heard that the solution line of Shorthorns really work well on heifers of any breed.

Show Heifer

I have used JPJ on a variety of cows, but no clubbie bloodlines. All have been small, all unassisted. Not a throw away in the group.

Calving ease and birth weight are different (I have had 110's born with no problems.... thank Goddness!). But I would think JPJ is BOTH, unless your breeding him to HW's or other "cow killing" type genetics. Like previously mentioned, the cow is half the equation, and keep in mind MANAGEMENT!!

aj

Is the cf solution bull a candidate for heifers? He's -1.3 for birth weight. Can you get semen on him?

sue

CF Solution  -1.3 BW with a 75% accuracy.  but actual bw of 94?  Curve bender +58  for growth ( breeds top 2%)

Jazz is -3.1 BW with 83% accuracy. act bw of 64? 

aj

Looks ABS would jump all over solution then......curve bender deal. Sound like beef industry needs him.

OH Breeder

oldwood said:
Anyone  had any troubles using him on heifers, i was told  he is calving ease,  want other opinions.
thanks

I have used him twice. I was not terribley impressed with the first heifer. He didn't add any bone nor did he add any volume. He kind of flattened her out a bit. She was feminine. The dam was a good heifer out of CF Primo and had great bone and fairly large bodied. The heifer calf weighed 55#'s actual at birth. He didn't do exactly what I thought he might. The second one was 2 months early and still born. I have had better luck with Gizmo and will continue to use him for first calf heifers. I may be in the minority as every bull dosen't work for all of us. Find the one that works with your genetics. It just so happens Gizmo works with our gene pool.

shortdawg

Hey yall ........ my name is aj ....... i'm bout to make a bull recommendation ...... wait ... excuse me while I hit this bong a couple more times ... cough, cough ...... Ok here it is ............wait .... one more hit .... ok ..anything non shorty, clubby, or whatever is on my farm eatin  prickly pears and gaining 47 pounds/day.  Oh yea my bulls bw is 25 lbs and he wont do much in the showring but he makes a pretty good fence post when he aint movin........ ok back to my bong ...............later dude. peace out

Show Heifer

Posted by: shortdawg 
Insert Quote
Hey yall ........ my name is aj ....... i'm bout to make a bull recommendation ...... wait ... excuse me while I hit this bong a couple more times ... cough, cough ...... Ok here it is ............wait .... one more hit .... ok ..anything non shorty, clubby, or whatever is on my farm eatin  *****ly pears and gaining 47 pounds/day.  Oh yea my bulls bw is 25 lbs and he wont do much in the showring but he makes a pretty good fence post when he aint movin........ ok back to my bong ...............later dude. peace out 

Wow. That has got to be the most immature, assinine post of all time. way to go shortdawg you just proved everyone right.

(I editted this to include the post I was refering to.)

OH Breeder

Show Heifer said:
Posted by: shortdawg 
Insert Quote
Hey yall ........ my name is aj ....... i'm bout to make a bull recommendation ...... wait ... excuse me while I hit this bong a couple more times ... cough, cough ...... Ok here it is ............wait .... one more hit .... ok ..anything non shorty, clubby, or whatever is on my farm eatin  *****ly pears and gaining 47 pounds/day.  Oh yea my bulls bw is 25 lbs and he wont do much in the showring but he makes a pretty good fence post when he aint movin........ ok back to my bong ...............later dude. peace out 

Wow. That has got to be the most immature, assinine post of all time. way to go shortdawg you just proved everyone right.

(I editted this to include the post I was refering to.)

I think you are missing his point. Some people just don't know when to quiet. AJ with every other post is antagonizing and agitating. If the he is not creating controversy he will post anything it seems to get attention. That is immature. IF it isn't club calf breeders then its club bulls it is just non stop. His tongue in cheek comments on solution in the thread were not just once but twice trying to get someone to reply to him. As I had posted yesterday- AJ complains about club bulls and club calf people but is guilty of using those same genetics in his own herd. Kind of hypocritical don't you think. I think you are calling out the wrong person.

the angus111

Old aj has set out to get a reaction and is successful.it has some entertainment value.Rusty