jakes proud jazz heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

I'm not overly excited about the roan, but that white heifer, despite appearing to be a little too fat (might be the photo... the rear shot), looks like my type of cattle!  The more I see & hear about Jake's Proud Jazz the more tempted I am to try him or one of his daughters. 

garybob

shortdawg said:
I would call her upper moderate framed, a really nice deep sided, good milking roan cow.
Hey, Dawg! when you get the chance, I'd like to see pics of this Bull. I am in an "isolated" area, at least Shorthorn-wise, and, don't  make it to the big boys' sales. I think that JPJ is the one bull that could, if used right, bridge the gap between show ring, pasture, feedlot, and cooler. He's just so line bred, that whatever traits he possesses,he'll pass on to his calves. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

Sincerely,
GaryBob

shortdawg

I should have a pic of him in the next month or so. He is still in OK and I plan to pick him up sometime in Sept.

aj

I don't know what his epd's but I think alot of breeds have epd themselves to Death. Bw epd's are important to me but the growth trait deal is a joke. You are getting 1oo+ yearling epd cattle that don't have fleshing ability to survive in the real world. I think the shorthorn breed is a maternal breed and not a terminal cross. Under that scenario you want smaller framed cows with decent milk and moderate growth epd's. You want convenience traits, disposition and decent grading ability. It just seems like say the angus breed with huge epd's for growth don't look like angus anymore. Same fpr any breed. The industry needs a shot of fleshing ability. This can be taken to far also of course. Gizmo epd's for growth are low but he brings so much to the table. JMO. (dog)

sjcattleco

CAB said:
   What are some of you guys& girls opinions of JPZ's EPDs? Cab

(lol)
Well we vaccinate against EPD's!!!

Fact of the matter is when you look at how he is bred... and compare it to other bulls of similar type and kind like Gizmo or American Muscle and you factor in the OLD genetics plus linebreeding EPD's become totally meaningless.
I feel that there are really 3 major reasons that people use bulls like that...

1 They have had an eye opening experience and have been introduced to philosophies  from people like Gearld Fry or Kit Pharo. or Greg Judy or Jim Lentz and the list goes on and they realize that there are 2 roads marked PROFIT and they have been on the LONG one and found the detour!

2 They have been messing with "show cattle" , got bigger, and are tired of feeding momma cows every day and want to "fix" their problems

3 They want those super thick meatwagon males and really soggy femininefunctional  females and now they have found some clean genetics to give it to them!

shortdawg

With JPJ the proof is in the pudding and I've seen that pudding in person. I liked what I saw and, like I said in another post, I use what I think will work for me and don't worry about the rest. As far as the EPD's go, JPJ has a good dose of appendix  ( Shorthorn Plus ) :p genetics and they assign certian EPD's to those animals unlike they do for purebreds. I wouldn't put a lot into those EPD's, you have to consider the beast himself not just numbers. They are only as good as the person reporting them.  He is a fairly new bull with a lot of good old genetics behind him and I think he will work on a lot ( not all ) cattle.

stick

Just did a quick look at K-Kims catalog and didn't see any Jazz calves but did notice a pretty nice calf out of a Jazz dam. Lot 74
Go to : http://theshowcircuit.com/  and click on sale catalogs

shortdawg

I wouldn't use him on a small frame cow. He will moderate a notch or two, add muscle, hair, structural soundness, and style.

pigguy

i would like to see some pictures of the cows that these awsome jpj calves are coming out of because when i look at jpj, to me he doesn't  look like the bull that would be producing show winners. but that heifer looks real good

garybob

maine12 said:
i would like to see some pictures of the cows that these awsome jpj calves are coming out of because when i look at jpj, to me he doesn't  look like the bull that would be producing show winners. but that heifer looks real good
To start a philosophical discussion, based on your evaluative criteria, why do you not believe he is the type of bull to do what it is obvious that he can do? The more masculine the bull, the more feminine his daughters. The swine industry learned a long time ago, that "teats on a boar hog" are NOT worthless.

pigguy

garybob said:
maine12 said:
To start a philosophical discussion, based on your evaluative criteria, why do you not believe he is the type of bull to do what it is obvious that he can do? The more masculine the bull, the more feminine his daughters. The swine industry learned a long time ago, that "teats on a boar hog" are NOT worthless.
all i said was he dosent look like a bull that would be producing the kind of calves shown in my oppion. i didnt say he wasnt doing it i just said that he didnt look like he would be. i was just wondering what the cows looked like

TJ

maine12 said:
garybob said:
maine12 said:
all i said was he dosent look like a bull that would be producing the kind of calves shown in my oppion. i didnt say he wasnt doing it i just said that he didnt look like he would be. i was just wondering what the cows looked like

Study JPJ's picture really hard.  JPJ has a pretty straight set of legs (from all reports he's sound though), pretty straight lines & a pretty clean neck for a masculine bull.  Also, garybob is 100%correct, masculine bulls usually sire very feminine females. 

Also, while JPJ will mostly be used on bigger cows to moderate them, if I useJPJ, it will be on small to moderate cows to help keep them that way!

shortdawg

The calves I've seen out of him come out of upper- moderate cows to the small side of large framed cattle. The calves are very fancy, sound, and have lots of muscle & hair. I personally don't like my cows to be small framed so I wouldn't use him on small framed cows. TJ, however, has lowliners which are small framed which JPJ would keep that way. I wouldn't recommend him if I hadn't seen so many good ones out of him. He is definitely a CHANGER !

TJ

shortdawg said:
The calves I've seen out of him come out of upper- moderate cows to the small side of large framed cattle. The calves are very fancy, sound, and have lots of muscle & hair. I personally don't like my cows to be small framed so I wouldn't use him on small framed cows. TJ, however, has lowliners which are small framed which JPJ would keep that way. I wouldn't recommend him if I hadn't seen so many good ones out of him. He is definitely a CHANGER !

I probably should have explained my post better & I apologize for not doing so.  Shortdawg's post is right on & I agree that JPJ should make people who own big cows very happy.  I just wanted to point out that I see possibilities for JPJ to be used on smaller cattle too, but I failed to point out that not everybody will be happy with cattle as small framed as I might like them.  If JPJ really is 52 inches tall, he's only 3.5 inches taller than my Lowline bull, so he's probably not even quite what as tall as what some people would define as being "moderate framed" & that is important to keep in mind when picking out cows to breed him to.   

BTW, I used to not like small or even moderate framed cattle, but after having big cattle for many years, I now like small cattle.  Don't get me wrong, I still like big cattle, just as long as someone else owns them & feeds them.  However, I totally realize that many people, particularly those in the show cattle business, do like bigger cattle, so you have to breed for what your goals are.

garybob

shortdawg said:
Do you still have the "Appy Star" cow from Dedmon's ( or was it McGill's?)? I'd like to see the "fire and ice" results from that combination.

shortdawg

I sold her a year or so ago. She came from the Dedmon's and turned out to be a THC and that's the reason she's gone.