Jakes Proud Jazz

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

There has been a lot of hype about this bull - saw his picture in the SC - anybody seen him in person? Can he walk? What are your opinions of him? ( constructive comments please - you shorthorn guys get pretty HOT!)

shortdawg

DL, He was at stud when I was at his owner's farm but I got to see a lot of calves out of him. His calves are great show calves: hair, bone, muscle, style, and sound. The steer we have out of him is the best SH steer we've ever had. I would have bought a group of yearling heifers out of him if I had the extra money; they were consistent. I can assure you one thing, he would not be at the Glover's if he wasn't the real deal.

Jill

We flushed our Black Dice donor to him, she needed downsizing and crosses great with Shorthorns so we thought we would give him a try.  I have great respect for Tim Ohle and Dustin Glover they have both been around for a very long time and are very good at what they do.  We originally bought him for a calving ease option, have been impressed with the calves we have seen out of him, but have not seen the bull in person.

iowa

DL,  I really liked the 2 JPZ  bull calves Tim Ohlde had for sale when I was there in April. Both of the bulls were deep bodied, sound and hairy.  The bull I was looking at had a 78 lb bw and the bull Tim was going to keep had an 88 lb bw.  The bull Tim was going to use on heifers did not semen check so he kept the one I wanted.  After he sold Jazz, he kept a son of Jazz and used him on his fall and spring cows.  The Jazz  son he kept was extremely long bodied, well muscled and moderate framed, all feet pointed straight ahead and he could walk. Tim said that Jazz was a pretty consistent breeder.  None of Tim's cattle are large framed. I saw Emblazon, Homer, and Legend at Voglers stud on one of my trips down to Elbees and Ohldes and all of those Angus bulls were moderate framed and sound. Tim said Jazz was built like his bull Anchor.  Tim told me he had no calving problems with Jazz at all.  I bought some Jazz semen to breed some of my heifers to and also bought some semen on Jazz's sire, Jakes Proud Leader which is a direct son of  TPS Leader 21.  Tim told me some of the best cows he ever laid eyes on were Leader 21's out of angus cows when he travelled through Montana many years ago.  If you go to Showsteers.com and look up Fischer Cattle Company from Kansas, they have a direct son of Leader 21 from Tim called Jakes Lenox Leader. This line of shorthorns Tim has bred are sound,  uniform and easy fleshing. If they were not, they would end up in his cull pen.

DLD

Yes, I've seen him in the pasture a number of times. I haven't said a whole lot because Dustin and I are good friends, and some might think I might be biased, but the hype is pretty much true. The bull is sound, moderate framed, huge ribbed and just really neat patterned and complete. Can he single handedly (hoofedly?) save the world? Probably not, but he does have alot to offer to many Shorthorn and club calf programs, in particular, and would also be a nice outcross on alot of other breeds as well. I bred a couple of Hereford heifers to him this spring, and I'm planning on using him quite a bit this fall. I've got one heifer out of him that we AI'd to Gizmo this spring - I'm kind of anxious to see how that turns out.

shorthorns r us

He's GOOD.  As usual, DLD's phenotypic assessment is right on,.  He looks like you would expect an OCC Angus bull to look; body, balance, muscle & movement.

Anyone who has seen the cows that came with him can understand why he is so right for the times.  I think his mark will be with the daughters he leaves out in the pastures for years to come.  $30 is a discount for what you can add to your herd.

DL - He is not BIG framed; I know you like 'em big.  But what you sacrifice in frame, you will more than make up for in mass.

TJ

SRU said:
He's GOOD.  As usual, DLD's phenotypic assessment is right on,.  He looks like you would expect an OCC Angus bull to look; body, balance, muscle & movement.

Anyone who has seen the cows that came with him can understand why he is so right for the times.  I think his mark will be with the daughters he leaves out in the pastures for years to come.  $30 is a discount for what you can add to your herd.

DL - He is not BIG framed; I know you like 'em big.  But what you sacrifice in frame, you will more than make up for in mass.

The more I hear about JPJ the more I want to give him a try.  From th pics, he looks a lot like Anchor & it seems like everyone who has seen him in person likes to compare him to Anchor.  Someone else said that he is 52 inches tall, that just makes me like him even more. 

How would he cross on Red Angus females & what color would the resulting calves most likely be?  Red or roan or both?     

Will

Where could a person see some spring born bull calves out of him this fall?

shortdawg

Will, There are some late fall , early spring , and fall yearlings out of him at Dustin Glover's. He had a young white heifer that was awesome but, I can't remember what month she was.

garybob

TJ said:
SRU said:

The more I hear about JPJ the more I want to give him a try.  From th pics, he looks a lot like Anchor & it seems like everyone who has seen him in person likes to compare him to Anchor.  Someone else said that he is 52 inches tall, that just makes me like him even more. 

How would he cross on Red Angus females & what color would the resulting calves most likely be?  Red or roan or both?     
They's likely to be Reds, or dark Roans. Depends on the shade of red of the Red Angus cows, as to how deep, or "cherry" the red would be in those crossbreds. Still, I'd think, that they would be deep-middled cattle, with superb fleshing ability. Very dense, weight to frame ratio.

TJ

garybob said:
TJ said:
SRU said:

They's likely to be Reds, or dark Roans. Depends on the shade of red of the Red Angus cows, as to how deep, or "cherry" the red would be in those crossbreds. Still, I'd think, that they would be deep-middled cattle, with superb fleshing ability. Very dense, weight to frame ratio.

If I do cross those 2 breeds, JPJ is one of the bulls that I am considering.  If I do it, I will likely use 2 bulls, him & a red bull. 

garybob

TJ said:
garybob said:
TJ said:
SRU said:

If I do cross those 2 breeds, JPJ is one of the bulls that I am considering.  If I do it, I will likely use 2 bulls, him & a red bull. 
Have you ever considered using GFS Red Cloud 7026 from Meadow Lane & Crestmead? He's a good one, very consistent, with tons of longevity and doability.

aj

I wonder what the udders are like on his daughters? I was thinking that some of the old squatty beef cattle had problems. I was thinking about Using him on everthing next spring.

Show Heifer

I used him on some 1/2 red angus heifers, and some limiXangus cross heifers (both black and red) as well as a white shortie and a mouse colored cow.  Can't wait to see the rainbows,  but I am sure excited about all the possiblities!!!...in fact, might be smart to order semen now in case he gets hot and the quanity dissappears!!

TJ

garybob said:
TJ said:
garybob said:
TJ said:
SRU said:

Have you ever considered using GFS Red Cloud 7026 from Meadow Lane & Crestmead? He's a good one, very consistent, with tons of longevity and doability.

No, but I will do some investigating.  The longevity & doability part certainly sounds good.  Thanks!!