JAN bull calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

fitter22

what does everyone think of him. be honest i can take it. he was born the end of jan. He is an EXT out of a forever lady cow.

Attachments

• excaliber.jpg
    excaliber.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 203

Joe Boy

I like what I see.  I would like him to be a little cleaner in the neck, a little bigger bone in the rear legs, and would take him in a heart beat..... very good calf.

justintime

I like this calf a lot. I personally think he is good through his neck, as he shows extension yet is also showing masculinity at an early age. We need more bulls that show this, as we have far too many bulls, in all breeds, that are too feminine looking. He has a good quarter, but if i could change him, I would add a little more lower quarter, but that is getting a little picky. I have  a notion this bull will make a very good herd sire. The most feminine, productive cows usually come from a very masculine sire. He will probably sire good bulls and heifers. He looks to have good structure, but it is hard to get a good look at his feet. He has a very predictable pedigree which insures his breeding value even more...consistency for generations. Good sire that comes from a great line of genetics+ great cow family= predictable and consistent sire.

Cattledog

I love everything about him except that he is out of EXT.  Back when I used EXT we had a bunch of heifers that I had to break.  That was the worst experience I have ever had in my entire life!  If he has a good disposition I would love to have him.  BTW, I have some forever lady cows and I can't tell you how much I love them.  They always have nice calves and are great mothers.

I am being too hard on him because he is an EXT...I always have loved how they look, just hate how they act!

HT

WOW!! looks 1000 times better than my December N Bar Prime time X Traveler cow. Good luck with him, I think he might have a future!! ;D

ROMAX

abit more bone would be nice,but with an ass like that on an angus i'll take it.when you see his picture beside copyright on the left it makes you wonder if thats where this bull his headed.

shorthorn boy

Really nice bull you have there the one thing that I would probably change would be to add a little bit more bone but overall he is a very nice bull calf. Do you think you will be showing him?

knabe

isn't bone antagonistic with marbling?

what does enough bone look like.  granted, if you wanted to add bone to what you had, you would be looking for it, but otherwise, isn't adding more bone pointless?

OH Breeder

knabe said:

what does enough bone look like.  granted, if you wanted to add bone to what you had, you would be looking for it, but otherwise, isn't adding more bone pointless?

I am with you Knabe. I think he has plenty of bone. The only bone you might eat is soup bone and even then we usually dont chew on our bones we save them for the pups after supper. I think he looks great. Great muscle shape and dimension.

ROMAX

knabe said:

more bone=thicker,stouter legs

shorthorn boy

ROMAX said:
knabe said:

more bone=thicker,stouter legs
Exactly

shortyjock89

As far as marbling and carcass scores, anything more than adequate bone is actually counterproductive.  Now, from a show calf point of view, more bone is more aesthetically pleasing. You might never sell a lot of show steers out of that guy, but I bet you will sell some very nice replacement females and LOTS of good carcass steers.

justintime

I think this calf is close to optimum for bone. I find most calving ease sires are not huge boned. I do believe we need adequate bone in an animal for soundness, however, after a certain point, it is pointless, and only interferes with calving ease, and as Knabe mentioned, marbling. I prefer flat bone to round bone, but I know that some say round bone is connected to better carcass quality. I am not yet convinced.

TMJ Show Cattle

That is a nice lookin bull....for an Angus. However I agree he needs more bone,not much,but some. He would have a hard time in rugged terrain in the western states.Most Angus bulls out in Wyoming,Montana,Utah,Idaho and Nevada have bone like maines for the most part.I can remember when the Angus breed was the undisputed king of cattle,nowadays their usefulness is limited to crossbreeding,which they are remarkable for doing.

cowboybecoachin

Disagree that Angus are used only for crossbreeding. And not all Angus are built alike. I have 2 herd sires that have more bone than 99% of all the Angus bulls I have seen. Of course, we want to win stock shows, not chase some of the "carcass traits" like so many of the "rich boys" that has resulted in linebreeding and in-breeding to the point some Angus now have unwanted defects. So many of the Texas Angus herds are cattle with "all guts, no butts".
Our Angus here in Central Texas must be able to look great to win, but still be functional and big enough for the commercial cattlemen (we also sell breeding bulls and replacement females). They must milk enough to raise a heavy-weaning calf on what is sometimes tough grass conditions, but not so much they loose body condition (and have a hard time breeding back). They must be fertile and sound on their feet and legs. They need to be able to calve unassisted.
Some Angus are usefull for breeding heifers, as they are lower birth/calving ease sires, but many will not result in a calf that will grow fast. Northern Improvement has been a great heifer bull for us, and we have had champions out of him.

TMJ Show Cattle

I understand your point of view. The only reason I refered to crossbreeding is the fact that as you so admirably stated,the Angus breed as a whole has got lost in it's own makeup. Everytime I have gotten on here and talked about [I should say against] the so-called "number" cattle I get bashed. It is VERY refreshing to hear of a breeder such as yourself talk about functional Angus cattle. The one's we have are Northern Improvement grandaughters,and some old line Fullback. Also Juneau. I mixd those with a bull called Jacee's Ramblin Fever,which is some older "Bando" blood then PVF New Horizon to create show heifers and steers.