Japanese Mini Trucks

Help Support Steer Planet:

AAOK

Searching for information as to how many know about the Kei, Japanese Mini Trucks?  Fremont Mini Trucks, Fremont, Ohio appears to be one of the "best" importers.  Do you see (or own) very many of these trucks, and do you think there is a market in the $5000 - $10,000 range to compete in hunting and farming with the Gators, MAX ATV, etc.

These trucks are all 4-wheel drive, and have an enclosed Cab & Heater.  My son-in-law is considering opening a dealership in Arkansas, one of only three states in which the Mini Trucks are street legal .

LLBUX

Watch them on ebay to get an idea about their sale value.  Usually there are several available.

I checked into them myself a couple of years ago and decided against buying a container of about 10 trucks.  They were around $3500/ at the time for 12-15 year old trucks.    Many would have needed tires or TLC to make 'em run.    Lift kits, paint and off-road tires make it hard to make a $ at $5000.

I think they would be lots of fun, but top-heavy.  Top speed is about 40-45 mph.

Good luck to you!

jason

When gas got so high (>$4.00), I had toyed around the idea of buying one.  There is a few that around our town, one in a particular for a construction company that I think is primarily used for advertising purposes.

Personally there was more appeal to have a utv like the yamaha rhino.  In the end I stuck with a fourwheeler.

rlrlks

We have had 2 now if you can keep them running they are great almost impossible to get stuck

Davidsonranch

We have had a couple and these rigs and they really have pros and cons.  Most come with "govenors" from Japan which consists of a tack welded plate on the tranny that prohibits you from going into different gears.  Simply take off the plate and you have all 4-5 gears.  So you can get them up to 60mph.  They have everything a car has.  Windshield, heater, radio.  Some have front and rear lockers and low range for really good off road capabilities.  To make them "ranch ready" they really need a lift kit, and ATV tires.  Remember they are all right hand drive - which is kinda fun.
But here is the biggest problem - If you are a "big person" they are kinda tight and uncomfortable.  Price seems to keep going up on them.  But if you can get one with lift kit and tires for $5000 think about it. But if it's stock from Japan without these upgrades, I would not pay more than $3500.  It's still under half price of a rhino, ranger, mule, gator, etc.  If you are looking for something to fart around the ranch, I would totally look at getting one. Parts are super easy to get.  To me the heater, windshield wipers, radio, 4x4, lockers, nice big bed, etc is a nice addition. But they are not for everyone.

husker1

We've had one on the farm for about 4 years now.  Never have had a problem with it.  Always starts right up and dependable.  As someone stated above, I'm not sure if you could get stuck with this rig...getting high-centered might be the only way.  It's light enough that it almost floats on mud...and with the 4 wheel drive, it pulls right through if it does get dicey.  Very powerful little rigs.

The cab has ample room, but it's tight.  We range from 190 pounds to about 225 pounds in our operation (ladies excluded ;D), and we all drive the rig.  I use it for hauling buckets of feed when it gets cold, fencing, calving season, etc., etc. 

Heater works excellent, which is handy for doing that 2:30 a. m. check during calving season. 

As long as you are prepared for a little tighter cab and the fact that you have to open and close a door (not like some UTV's), it does have it's place.

trevorgreycattleco

We had 3 of them at a country club I worked at. They were great. We beat the crap out of em. Even rolled one and they just kept going. I loved them but finding parts was a hassle. They were great in the winter but pretty hot in the summer.

CAB

Without seeing one, MO is they will sell if they can provide good service. I'm amazed @ what PPL are paying for the side by sides and the 4 seaters.

BadgerFan

Are they significantly more manueverable than a Toyota/S10/Ranger/etc.?  Seems like you can find a yota  or ranger for $1000 if you don't mind a little rust or miles. 

husker1

I've had both a toyotal and a Ranger in the last few years...The Japanese rig has a tighter turning radius, can handle more mud, and is much better on fuel.  However, we don't take our rig down the road; just around the farm. 

AAOK

Thsnks for the comments; more positive than I would have thought.  I still don't believe there is a market demand to justify the investment for a dealership.