JDS Polled Stout One

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

Has anyone ever used Stout One?

His AMAA # is 183691    He is polled as his name indicates, Black and 95.31% PB

His numbers are:  4.1      54.6    103.6    17.7

His sire is Stout and his Dam's sire is First Edition.

I would like to see a photo of him and to learn of his PHA status since he is a descendant of Paramount.  I like the descendants of Paramount.

I also like Stout for growth and many of his descendants are quality cows, so he is maternal as I see it.

I think he is located in Texas.  Just wondering if anyone has more information on him.

Thanks.

knabe

there's tons of people in el campo tx with interests in maines.  you could call the owner and ask for references.

Telos

Those Stout females always seem to  come through. I have not seen any of the Stout One's though. Is he a JDS perfix? If so, you might think about calling them in South Dakota.

Joe Boy

I will call Stouts and also the listed owner with AMAA.  However, I do like opinions from people who are not owners....  I too like the Stout mommas.

I figure good mommas raise good sons.... at least that is what I preach....ha... ;D

AAOK

I have not seen the bull, nor have I heard anything about him, but I would be wary.  I would like to tell a story about seeing JDS Stout in his working clothes.  Back in 1994, I was one of five who took a field trip from the National Junior Maine-Anjou Show in Des Moines up to Nichols Cryogenetics.  JDS Stout was one of the bulls on hand being collected.  He would have been about a four year old at the time.  He was lying down in his pen, and we couldn't seem to coax him into standing.  One of the hired hands advised us that Stout's back legs were so badly broken down that they had to lift him with an overhead hoist.  He was being heavily used at the time, and really making a name for himself.  The five of us were stunned and what we had seen and heard, and wondered just how many structural nightmare calves were born compared to the few good ones we had seen in the show ring.  Just a year or two after that, JDS Stout was progeny seemed to almost dissappear.  I suppose I could guess why. 

knabe

hey aaok that's interesting commentary.  so if a "normal" bull services 30-60 cows a year, how does this compare with what he does at an ai stud, ie number of jumps, albeit on a phantom or stanchioned cow.  if a bull gets hot, does one collect him too much without "rest" periods in between.  some studs have turnouts as mentioned before.  in a bull like this case, how does quality vary from lot to lot that is available for purchase?  other bulls have been mentioned that are having trouble, but what percentage if any does being at stud add to a bull breaking down.  perhaps they have policies to come get your bull after so many days to give him a rest, then back for more? 

i know in horses, they can get lame on one end, then the other as they try and off weight the original end and just kinda zig zag to the ground.

Joe Boy

AAOK,
Did they say why the bull was broken down.  Could he have been in some sort of accident.  I am using a bull, son of Energizer, who was injured in a bull fight and they finally put him down.

I know Stout has produced females that have been around for a long time.  I have never seen a wreck from him, have you?  He certainly could have, but I have never seen one.

Was he a show bull that broke down from lots of travel?  Some of these things would be interesting to know.

AAOK

Joe Boy said:
AAOK,
Did they say why the bull was broken down.  Could he have been in some sort of accident.  I am using a bull, son of Energizer, who was injured in a bull fight and they finally put him down.

I know Stout has produced females that have been around for a long time.  I have never seen a wreck from him, have you?  He certainly could have, but I have never seen one.

Was he a show bull that broke down from lots of travel?  Some of these things would be interesting to know.

I really should have continued with my story.  We were told the Stout bull always had a hard time moving as he was born with his legs way too far under him; extreme Sickle-Hocked.  As he got heavier, they just wouldn't support him.  The problem was a deformity, not an injury, or too much use.