Jesse James calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dale L

Is he best suited for terminal calves only or would he have a shot at producing some heifers for breeding?  Don't know a lot about him but I am planning on buying at least one more bred heifer this fall and looking at some that are all bred to him.  Wondering if I might have a chance of getting a calf that I could keep for breeding or not.  Thanks for any help.

MainAngus

His dam is out of a very nice PB simmental bull Blazer and he also has a shot of WMW from his sire. I think he should work fine as a terminal or in a breeding program.

mick rems

Had 2 calves out of him this year. Both really good, a steer calf out of a really clubby type heifer, and a heifer out of a angus type heifer. Both calves are really big bodied super sound.
http://www.acaregistry.org/detail.aspx?reg=359468 link to his page on the Chi Association.
Hes calving ease and almost half angus. Don't see where people are getting that his calves are terminal, unless being used on a cow that shouldn't be a cow. A proportionate amount of muscle and shoulder don't mean terminal anymore. If there's maternal genetics, there should not be a problem. my heifer calf is pretty decently heavy muscled and a little bigger in her shoulder, but its not terminal, she also has extremely maternal genetics on her bottom side.
Sorry about any bluntness.

Warrior10

If that was directed at me:
I used him on two females, one a Meyer 734 %simmy and a My Turn female. Had a heifer out of the Meyer and a steer out of the My Turn. The heifer seemed too straight for me after weaning so she went to the sale barn. None of her other calves have ever had a problem, but I get it in the clubby deal sometimes certain matings just don't match up. The steer ended up 2nd in his class at state fair, just a powerful/muscular steer. Very small sample size but I gave my honest opinion from what I have experienced. By no means did I mean he wasn't a good bull, I think Jesse James is a solid calving ease option (both my calves came small and alive); we used him again this spring on some heifers that needed power.

Edit: Remembered I also sold a Bojo bred that was bred to him. She had a nice heifer calf, but she was definitely built like a market heifer.

Don't mix up "terminal" with "problems structurally".

Dale L

I appreciate the opinions.  Like I said I am looking to buy a bred heifer or two in a few months.  There are several different bloodlines to choose from but most will be bred to Jesse James.  A lot of the heifers are Meyer influenced.  Some are out of Lock N Load and then some are more Maine influenced.