Jesse James deceased?

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainegirl

I saw a post that Jesse James is now deceased? Curious what happened to him. Its such a shame that another bull that was gaining popularity has died so young.

CAB

He was very crippled up late last year and ended up getting ran down. There are a lot of bulls to choose from for use on 1st calf heifers. My qualms about JJ was that he was sooo crossed up that there was little chance to get any hybrid vigor or growth by using him. Does throw some look and style, but other than the Lapke heifer a few years ago I can't think of any JJ calves that have made it real far as far as the show ring goes, but I don't see them all by a long shot.

mainegirl

Thats a shame to hear but not a surprise. I never personally used him. Ive noticed since I80 prices had increased not too long ago, theyve pushed how much calving ease JJ was. Honestly most of the bulls nowadays are so clubby bred theyre a trainwreck ready to happen. Most go back to  Heatwave on both sides of their breeding. Im happy to see Rodgers has some outcross bulls that you can use on those cows that have so much clubby blood in them. We've taken chances using unproven new clubby bulls that were promoted as CE. Some heifers had no problems,  others not o good. We now wait til theres a calf crop on the ground to decide if a bull is CE. I'm happy breeding my heifers to an angus bull 1st and having a live/ healthy calf AND cow

Buck

I agree, would use him again if semen is available!