Jewel...country music?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Heard she had an album coming out.Anyone know anything?....and is ty going to sing?

red

is she still dating Ty? He's a bull rider?

I just never put Jewel as a country singer but she's on a panel for some Country sining contes on TV.

Red

Jill

She has had a record playing here in Kansas City for the past couple of months.  She is still dating Ty and the other day they said she has been dating him for 10 years.  She does have a really neat story, I guess lived in her car for a couple of years until she finally made it.

Turkey Creek Ranch

I really don't know. I think her music IS country, but it is a different kind of country that most of us are used to.

DLD

She sang Silver Wings with Merle Haggard several years ago, maybe on some kind of awards show or TV special it seems like. Anyway, that's the version that's on his "For The Record" album (the 2 disc set that I take along pretty much everywhere I go). That's one of my favorite songs, and she didn't hurt it any, imho...

chambero

Dating ain't exactly the word.  I'm pretty sure she's lived with him down in Stephenville for quite a while.  I think they are essentially married in all but name.

garybob

Dang Y'all!
;)  Why is it, 'we' as Country Music fans will embrace Big n' Rich, but are skeptical about Jewel?

What is it The Geezinslaw Bros sing.....You call it 'country', I call it bad Rock n' Roll...Something like that.

Besides, she is cute.

GB

AAOK

garybob said:
Dang Y'all!
;)  Why is it, 'we' as Country Music fans will embrace Big n' Rich, but are skeptical about Jewel?

What is it The Geezinslaw Bros sing.....You call it 'country', I call it bad Rock n' Roll...Something like that.

Besides, she is cute.

GB

Right On GB!!!  If she would just get her teeth fixed, she would be a knockout!
  Here is everything you might ever want to know  -  http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/jewel_pop_/videos.jhtml

aj

I like jewel. She would be unique...kinda like emmylou. Somewhere around 20 years ago we went to the national finals. After the event our group was leaving kinda out a back way and I slipped into the mens room on the way out.Anyway I was taking a whizzer and a guy stepped in next to me.I took a whizzer next to ty. He wasn't very big and built like a gymnist. I guess that is my claim to fame. He won a bunch of titles I guess. Those guys are all upper body strength and pretty intense.

Telos

aj said:
I like jewel. She would be unique...kinda like emmylou. Somewhere around 20 years ago we went to the national finals. After the event our group was leaving kinda out a back way and I slipped into the mens room on the way out.Anyway I was taking a whizzer and a guy stepped in next to me.I took a whizzer next to ty. He wasn't very big and built like a gymnist. I guess that is my claim to fame. He won a bunch of titles I guess. Those guys are all upper body strength and pretty intense.

...and you didn't get his autograph?  ;D

I have been reading  about some of the great song writers like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Diane Warren etc..  Great writings seem to only come from brief moments in their lives and takes a tremendous amount of energy along with God given talent to produce such greatness. Dylan says he could never recreate songs like he wrote in his early years... There was a magical element that was in place that will never be there again. I hope Jewel has had some good down time and can come back with some really cool stuff.

Telos

Not to hijack this thread, but was wondering if anyone has been listening to Regina Spektor? She is considered more urban contemporary and is really inventive with her approach to music. I have really enjoyed her videos on YouTube and think she will end up being one of our great artist.

aj

Thanks to you I ordered her album and I finally ordered john prines anthology. She sounds interesting....born in Moscow....parents music teachers....I like vodka so much,I bought the album. ;D

Telos

AJ, John Prine is just a genius. He and Spektor have the same qualities in their song writing IMO. Both are extremely clever writers and brings a new perspective of subject matter which has been off limits in the past.

Leon Russell wrote a critique on Spektor in Rolling Stone. He suggests a good way to listen to her is to play the more recent songs first and work your way backwards. Spektor may not be everybody's cup of tea, but one will have a hard time deneying her musical greatness. Even though her work is modern you can tell she was classically trained.