JFK

Help Support Steer Planet:

mp

Wondering if anyone knew the th and pha status of JFK. He is an older bull.

sunny

I'm pretty sure that JFK was sired by Power Plant out of a Total Play cow.  Similar breeding to many of the popular bulls of that time - Witch Dr. & Foreplay to name a couple.  I have never had a problem with TH or PHA in any of these bloodlines, and I have used them heavily with Heat Seeker and Heat Wave over the years.  We had a JFK cow for years and never had a problem calf from her.  It took me years to figure out her best mating was surprisingly to Who Made Who!  I am usually real paranoid about stacking that much Power Plant in a pedigree, but it worked with her!  Her dam was a Sim-Ang.  My best guess would be that JFK was free, but you can't be sure what may be in a cows background.  Our rule is "If in doubt use free bulls, or test the cow, then you won't have any doubt, you'll know for sure".  We test all of our possible carrier bloodline heifers before we offer them for sale.  If I end up keeping them, I want to know their status, and my customers deserve to know the status before they decide to purchase.  The cost and hassle of testing does make me think long and hard about using carrier bulls, but in the steer business you almost have to use some.

mp

She is a hard one to figure out what to breed to too. She has two excellent daughters by friction but they are a little one gutted. Every bull calf she has had has branded at a Texas major but they all needed more gutts, one of those calves being out of Hostage who is super soggy. We flushed her to My Turn after I had a friend see him in Denver, at the time I didnt know his TH and PHA status, just knew he was outstanding and thought he would be a good mate for her. We now know he is a TH carrier and I thought maybe I had screwed up even though we had never had a problem in the past. We are going to AI her in the fall, and she usually has a pretty big calf so I would like to use a bull with a moderate birth wieght that is soggy. She is rope necked and has a ton of power and is above average framed, some of her calves tend to be a bit straight on both ends as with most power house calves, so nothing too straight. So what are everyones opinions? Thanks

Jill

Try breeding to a Maintainer that has a 1/2 Angus base, those seem to produce more guts than either clubby or Maine, we had that problem on some of our cows and bought a clean up bull bred that way and it made a word of difference in softening that middle section.

mp

I was thinking maybe purebred angus. I love New Edition and Raven, but I dont want to lose too much power. I know New Editions birthwieght is 89lbs and Im not sure on Raven. The cow is half the equation and this cows half of the equatiuon is BIG, her calves are always big. What are everyone elses birthwieghts like out of New Edition and do you think either one of these matings would be right for her, or should I go clubby or even charloais or charolais cross as I also like the bull Denver. Help me out.