Jigsaw Progeny

Help Support Steer Planet:

MOClubbyGuy

Any thoughts on progeny out of Jigsaw. He is a Friction that was in the yards in 07. I have a Leroy Brown 1st calf heifer that I am debating on breeding to him bc i have heard that he works well on HW lines. What are your thoughts on your experience or what you have seen around the country? Thanks!

shortyisqueen

We used Jigsaw and had about 10 calves off him last year. They were consistent peas-in-a-pod with a very maternal look. Good bone, lots of thickness, and not puddy. We sold every one we had, with the exception of a set of twins, as show calves, including the heifer that was Reserve Champion Prospect heifer at the Canadian Agribition. We were really pleased with how they turned out.

If your first calver has already calved with no issues, I would not hesitate to use him. If she is being bred for her first calf, you might want to wait a year. Ours were thick when they came out too - everything between 90 and 110 pounds (consistently - but that's also taking into account a Canadian winter).

cdncowboy

Have a Jigsaw heifer coming with her first calf in about a month.  Only had one other one, only steer I couldn't sell last fall.  I always thought his strength would be the females,  the buzz on him died pretty quickly.

MOClubbyGuy

The heifer is currently bred and scheduled to calve in March. I have 2 leroy brown heifers that I have considered using on however I am considering breeding the larger heifer to him and the other to Mercedes Benz. Thanks for the input!

lcc10

just to let you know you might get some color with mercedes but he will give you a heck of a calf . i have a 30 day old bull calf out of him and a spice heifer that has a bright future ahead of him

OH Breeder

Summer 09 we went out west and I saw a TON of Jigsaw steer calves. They all had the same "look" to them. Soft easy feeding. A few had some shoudler and little front end but they were massive in the rear. All of them had great hair and thick topped. These cows were club calf cows he was used on. The steers I saw last year as fats looked the same. SOft made easy feeding larger in size. I didn't see any puds at all out of him. They all seemed growthy.