Jim Williams

Help Support Steer Planet:

TMJ Show Cattle

I think Jim would compliment you on thinking he was a skinny guy. Jim Williams is as good as it gets. He probably has judged more breeds of cattle than most in his time. He will test your meddle.you need to know your calf.If you have a good one,he will find it too.Who is on the halter means nothing,if you have one that is better. They must be structurally correct,not over fed,and fitted to a T.If he finds one that he likes,he also has been known to write a pretty hefty check to own her.

Cattledog

TMJ Show Cattle said:
I think Jim would compliment you on thinking he was a skinny guy. Jim Williams is as good as it gets. He probably has judged more breeds of cattle than most in his time. He will test your meddle.you need to know your calf.If you have a good one,he will find it too.Who is on the halter means nothing,if you have one that is better. They must be structurally correct,not over fed,and fitted to a T.If he finds one that he likes,he also has been known to write a pretty hefty check to own her.

Totally agree with TMJ.  This guy is not a halter guy!  He judged the Illinois State Fair Junior show.  Both Steers and heifers, different years.  It was cool seeing him interact with the juniors!  Very classy guy.

shortdawg

Heard he once gave a kid 5 or 10 bucks and told him to get a haircut before he came back into the ring.

the angus111

several years ago,i worked for a cattle service in Hungerford,got to know Jim.really is a neat guy.in fact that whole V8 and JD HUDGINS bunch were good people.He is a real cattleman,Rusty

herfchic

I showed under him both times he judged at the Illinois State Fair, and that was some of the most fun I had in the show ring. 

TottenClubCalves

Jimmy is by far one of the best judges I have seen, he knows his stuff. One thing I like about him is he talks about every single calve and gives constructive criticism. He always says something nice about your animal even when discusiing its fault. He just judged the lowline show at Denver and he wants a heifer that has some guts, real clean fronted and can walk. I WILL SAY THIS, HE DOES NOT LIKE HIGH TAILHEADs, so get it down or as low as you can. That is one of his pet peeves. Just a heads up.

AAOK

Totten Club Calves said:
Jimmy is by far one of the best judges I have seen, he knows his stuff. One thing I like about him is he talks about every single calve and gives constructive criticism. He always says something nice about your animal even when discusiing its fault. He just judged the lowline show at Denver and he wants a heifer that has some guts, real clean fronted and can walk. I WILL SAY THIS, HE DOES NOT LIKE HIGH TAILHEADs, so get it down or as low as you can. That is one of his pet peeves. Just a heads up.

I agree with everything Totten said, and will add, he doesn't like anything "steery" about breeding heifers.  I've mentioned this once before, but at the MA Jr Nat'l in Peoria, after judging the first class of heifers, he called for a Barn mic and announced to the "Steer Jocks" they had better get the tailheads cut down, and get the hair clipped off the udders if they wanted to place anywhere other than last!