JIT saw this on EBAY any info? Or any other Canadian shorty person

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

1960's 10" X 8" Shorthorn Photo The sign in the photo reads..."Deep Cove Farms,Upper Blandford,Nova Scotia... also is the partial word ACAD...meaning ACADIA??  also written is ...SCOTCH SHORTHORN....Cyrus Eaton

There are quiet a few pictures from this farm for sale on EBAY.

Attachments

• EBAY shorthorn picture.jpg
    EBAY shorthorn picture.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 500

AAOK

Neat Picture! My wife and I were in that area last summer.  I sure can't imagine cattle due to the extremely dense forest, and the granite coastal rock.  Upper Blanford is in the St. Margaret's Bay / Peggy's Cove region of the Lighthouse Route, Lunenburg county.  Beautiful, old Lighthouses along the route.  Up on the other end of Nova Scotia, in the Cape Breton area were the first Scottish settlements in North America.

TJ

Those are some short, shorthorns.    Kinda remind me of Lowlines. 

red

coolest picture! I love looking at the old genetics. Wonder if in time we'll be making a full circle back to that trend?

Red

justintime

Deep Cove was Cyrus Eaton's Canadian division and he also lived here part time as well. Cyrus Eaton was born in this part of Canada however he became a huge industrialist in the US. Acadia Farms in Ohio was his main Shorthorn operation, and the most well known, but Cyrus did pick out the best cattle from the Deep Cove operation and take them to Acadia to be marketed or used there. The Deep Cove Farm also has some importance in world history, as it was here that Cyrus Eaton used to gather some of the world's greatest minds to come and spend a few days of relaxation as well as talk about world affairs. It was here that Churchill, Roosevelt, and a couple other Western world leaders, along with Albert Einstein, and some other intellectual leaders of the day met just prior to World War 11 broke out. I have been to Deep Cove Farm and I have talked with the man who managed this place for Cyrus Eaton. He told me that this place was used on many occasions for meetings like this, without the media knowing anything about them.

I agree with AAOK, it is a really neat part of Canada and a neat part of North America. When I have visited Peggy's Cove, I always am amazed when I look at the large post with arrows pointing in several directions on which the miles to many places in the world marked on them. It always amazes me when I see that I am still in Canada yet I am twice as close to London England than I am to my home.... and I live kinda in the middle of this country !

justintime

If you notice the other signs in the background, one says Remitall Cattle Company which is the same Remitall of Polled Hereford and Angus fame today. Another sign is Kelburn Stock Farm, which was from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Kelburn were also a prominent Shorthorn establishment for many years as well, and it was owned by James Richardson & Sons. The Richardson name is very well known in North America today, as they are one of the larger securities firms in Canada ( Richardson Securities) and they are also a major grains merchant in North America.... along with numerous other business interests. Like Remitall, Kelburn also moved into Polled Herefords for many years but I believe they are no longer in the cattle business. Their farm at Winnipeg was an incredible place as well.

This picture was taken at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, in Toronto, Ontario. I can tell this as the Royal to this day, has every farm using the same metal signs... white with black lettering. I am guessing this picture was probably taken between 1955 and 1962... just a guess by the type of cattle.

In my attic, I have built book shelves where I have almost every Shorthorn World from 1952 to today ( Now Shorthorn Country) as well as Canadian Shorthorn News from the same era.I have a few from the 20s, 30s and 40s but it is far from a complete set. I also have Canadian Shorthorn herdbooks from 1877 to they stopped printing them in the mid 50s.There are also sale catalogues from over 50 years as well. It is from this library of stuff that I say there are some of these old genetics that we really do not ever have to see again.... but there are some that may work. I am a little concerned about some present day breeders who think everything old is good stuff to use today. NOT SO !!! 

If I went up there and spent a little time I could probably tell you exacty when it was taken.  My wife refers to this stuff as junk, and some day it may be... but that will be after I am dead and planted in the ground.

OH Breeder

I have always enjoyed history, if I wasn't doing what I am today, I would have been a history teacher. I think it is so important to remember where we came from. JIT THANKS! great info. This is the kind of stuff you can write on the back of the photo and when you leave it behind it means so much more.

TJ

red said:
coolest picture! I love looking at the old genetics. Wonder if in time we'll be making a full circle back to that trend?

Red

I wonder the same thing myself.  Is any semen available on those old style shorthorn genetics?  The next question... is it affordable?   

OH Breeder

TJ said:
red said:

Red

I wonder the same thing myself.  Is any semen available on those old style shorthorn genetics?  The next question... is it affordable?   
It is funny you mention that. I read an article recently that their is some old sires out there in tanks. A year or so ago, two ampule of Western Dynamo sold and I missed the price. The prices are all over the board. JIT is probably a better resource.