JIT's Sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

stumpy

I would like to give Grant my best wishes wishes for the Frozen in Time auction. He is a fellow who isn't afraid to give all of us his opinion and help in many areas and I hope that this sale is a great success. From looking at the line-up it sure looks like it will be a great offering as well as a great opportunity for breeders to capitalize on some good, unique genetics. Best of luck Grant!

uluru

JIT and Fantasy Lane (Rick) have a great offering of embryos and some good pregnancies.
He is to be complimented and supported for taking the risk of trying to market embryos under this format.

I can confirm how difficult it is to market good Canadian outcross products in this market, especially to the US where the economy is not good.

I am in Florida right now for most of the winter and in all the years I have been coming down this way I have never seen it so quiet with so many houses on the market at such reduced prices.
An awful lot of people looking for work also.
Very depressing.

Our C$ don't go as far as last winter with the current exchange rate but I am buying a few beers anyway.

justintime

Thanks guys for the nice things you have said. This sale was kinda a last minute thing but I decided it was worth a try anyways... as they say " Nothing ventured, nothing gained.". I know the economy is sucking swamp water almost everywhere right now, but the way I look at this is that I cannot think of anything that holds it's value like good livestock, and this recession stuff will be a memory by the time the calves from these embryos are ready to sell ( at least I hope so!) I don't know what to expect from this sale, but whatever happens ..happens. If it is a flop, I doubt if I will lose my farm. If we get some embryos moved, we will pay some more bills... lol. So far we have people registered from 5 countries, which surprises me somewhat when this was only an idea less than three weeks ago.

Bob I wish I was with you. I am rather tired of wading through snow. I used to like winter. I am ready for spring now. I imagine it is much nicer at Stumpy's and Doc's than it is here as well. Oh well, someone has to live here!!  Thanks again !

Davis Shorthorns

I hope that the sale goes great.  I personally think that this is a great idea for marketing embryos.  Good luck with everything, hope everything sells high (except the ones I am biding on. ;)  )

oakbar

Hey JIT,

I got in kind of late on this thread but I would like to add my best wishes for your embryo auction.  I've passed the information on to some of the breeders here in Iowa.  Looks like an awfully good offering--I'll certainly be watching and maybe even bidding a little.  I'm kind of committed for embryos for this year, though!!

I enjoyed talking with you in Denver and on our PMs--Good luck with your auction!!

Lynn

justintime

Thanks to everyone who bought and/or bid in our first embryo and flush  " Frozen in Time" sale. We had buyers and bidders from 19 states and provinces as well as Scotland, England and Australia.

For the first event, and especially when we just decided to try this just over 2 weeks ago, we are pleased. The sale grossed $37825 and I have had 4 inquiries about purchasing more embryos in the first hour since the sale was completed. What makes this even better is I did not have to feed them, truck them, wash them, clip them or halter break them.But then.... look at all the fun I missed out on!
The total expenses for this sale will be under $1200 or 3% of the gross. I cannot even sell my critters at the local sale barn for 3 % these days. Everything considered I am very pleased.

I would like to especially thank our SP family for their support they gave us.  In fact, stumpy was the volume buyer and purchased the top selling flush at $3025.  Iowa purchased the top sellling embryo package for $875 each for a total of $3500. Two other top selling embryo lots sold to SP regulars who have not registered yet, but have been hiding in the tall grass and trying to figure us out. 

Many more SP members supported us with their verbal best wishes, and these are greatly appreciated as well. Thanks to everyone!

uluru

I enjoyed watching the end as the flush went for $3,025.
I didn't realize of course at the time that it was Stumpy bidding against someone who obviously had put in a $3,000 proxy bid.

Costs seem reasonable.

justintime

uluru said:
I enjoyed watching the end as the flush went for $3,025.
I didn't realize of course at the time that it was Stumpy bidding against someone who obviously had put in a $3,000 proxy bid.

Costs seem reasonable.

Bob... actually the runner up bidder on the  lot 48 lot did not have a proxy bid in. He was sitting at his computer and bidding, and he did not hesitate to bid until it got to the last two or three bids. I was not sure who was going to win that one!

uluru

Hi Grant

My assumption was wrong.
That makes it even more interesting and augers well for future sales of this nature.

I am on my way back to Oakville in a few minutes for a couple of days.
Looks cooler than here
......................................Bob

red

JIT-how did you like sale format? What was the pros & cons?

Great job BTW!!!

Red

justintime

First of all, I would like to thank a member of SP for suggesting I try edjeacutions.com for this sale. This was cpubarn and he was good enough to give me some phone numbers and suggested that I talk with them before I made a decision on how I was going to hold this sale.

I took Mark's advice and made the phone call and within a few minutes I knew that this was the right venue for me.After thinking about this for a few minutes,  I phoned back and they had it set up for me to start inputting my sale lots by that evening. Great service to say the least!

In our original phone conversation, they gave me a ball park estimate of the cost, and I was agreeable with it... in fact I thought it was very reasonable. To my surprise, prior to our sale starting they gave me an exact cost and it was a few hundred dollars below the low end of the estimate!!  How often does that happen?  Usually when I get an estimate on anything, it ends up being a few hundred above their estimate.

I found the data input very user friendly. There were a few glitches but we had enough time to get them all fixed long before the sale. One involved registration of people outside Canada and the US. They had never had people from other countries register for a sale before, and the program would not accept their addresses and phone numbers. The programmer at Edje had this corrected in minutes, after i phoned him. We found another glitch in the program that did some funny things liek moving some pictures and pedigrees around between lots, but again, once they heard about the problem, they got it fixed ... fast.

I was very impressed with their customer service. I had numerous phone calls and emails inquiring to see if everything was OK. Everyone I spoke with at EDJE gave me their cell phone numbers and told me to call them anytime if I needed help. I tried not to phone them at night, but they all were online watching the sale last night which I thought was remarkable seeing it was a Saturday evening.

I have heard of a couple situations where people could not get  registered but in both cases, they tried to register just minutes before the sale was supposed to end. In both cases, it was problems with their computers, and nothing to do with the edje auction site. If they had tried to register even a few hours earlier, this problem may have been avoided.
The only other problem I heard of was there were a few cases where people accidentely hit the bid button when they were trying to scroll through the lots. I had a few excited phone calls but I told them I would get these bids corrected.

All in all, I liked the auction site. I found the people who helped me very friendly and willing to assist. As I said earlier, the tech support was first class. After this experience,I would not hesitate to use them again. I liked the process enough that I am seriously thinking of trying a sale ever few months and even try selling a few show prospects in early fall. We will see.........

oakbar

Hey JIT,

Congratulations on a very successful sale!!  Looks like you had an excellent group of bidders/buyers!!

I agree with you about the folks at EDJE--they do a tremendous job.  Whenever I have corrections, etc. (to my website or that of our county cattlemens organzation) they are completed within hours of my emails to the EDJE crew.  I don't think there's ever been a time that I have not had the changes made by the very next morning--even if they're not sent in until late afternoon.

Mark does a great job with the sales he broadcasts for them as well.   

Oakbar

cpubarn

Grant,

I have passed along your message to EDJE.  I thought they should hear your words.  I think they really try hard to please.

I had spoken to Steve last week and he was enjoying working with you.

Mark