JIT's trip to Scotland!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

In case anyone is interested there is a real good article by JIT on his trip to Scotland on this website    http://www.topshorthorns.com/ . I found it pretty interesting. The one question I have is,is that there is a picture of Carnation Rouge ( which is a cow) , but the picture is definitely a bull. What is he? He looks good! Thanks for the info!

justintime

Doc, glad you liked the article. Scotland is definitely a very unique place, and I hope to get back and see much more of it. There are some really good herds in England and Ireland as well.

I had to look at the article to see what bull you were asking about. The bull that is named Carnation Rouge, in the article is Cairnsmore Thrasher. He is a horned bull and he was Grand Champion at the Royal Highland Show and several other shows through Britain.  Mike  just put the wrong name on the picture when he was putting it on his website.
In Britain they show mature bulls, and the Trasher bull was 5 years old at the show. He has some great traits, but he would probably be way to big for most people in North America. They don't weigh the cattle at the shows there, but I was told he weighed almost 3200 lbs. I am a poor weight guesser, but I would say he is over 3000 lbs at least. Despite his size and being very fat, this bull moved like a cat when he was shown. He has tremendous depth and and is very thick. If I could change him, I would add a little more natural muscle expression. I wish every bull on this continent had feet like this bull does.

shortyjock89

JIT- Very interesting, I hope I can go to the British Isles someday and check out their cow herds.  I don't like big cows usually, but I like good ones!

Latest posts