jm vortec

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I doubt i will unless I could buy 1 straw from gh and have it sent in for testing. I would pay for it. Heaven forbid that an owner of a bull that has sold 20,000$ worth of semen would have to pay 50$ for a test on pha testing. I don't care for the bull cause he's horned and bad colored and I assume pushing the limit on bw'ts.He seems to be the cats meow for showring cattle. I hope he is clean. I assume untill otherwise told ... that he is a carrier. His pedigree is clean but that doesn't seem to matter as pedigrees seem to be inaccurate. I like his offspring from a phenotypically aspect.Again I wish his owners the best of luck. God bless the red,white and roan, colored cattle.

Jill

shortdawg said:
I was told matter of factly on showsteers last year that testing a bull you don't own was not something you should be doing. I didn't really see any problem with it if you don't share the results. What do you all think ?
I don't really question whether you can send them in, I would question whether the lab has the authority to give the results to someone that isn't an owner.  I'm not a bull owner and it really didn't affect me one way or the other, just threw the question out because I was curious. 
SEK (from what I understand) had authorization from the bull owners with the threat so to speak that they wouldn't carry semen that wasn't tested, they are in a little different situation because they are under contract with the owners.

I guess under a different angle I also question DNA.  If I buy a market animal at a market sale, whether it be county fair or American Royal, I pay premium plus the cost for the animal where I own meat and all, do I have the authority to take a DNA sample for cloning purposes?  Just food for thought

red

Wow Jill, that sounds like a whole new topic!
I just know how I felt about it, I had bred a bull to a carrier female. Was told they thought he was clean but just never could get any confirmation & he hadn't been tested ( yes, I am very trusting sometimes). I still had some semen & was about ready to send in a sample myself when I saw he had finally been tested clean.

Red

DL

Jill said:
shortdawg said:
I was told matter of factly on showsteers last year that testing a bull you don't own was not something you should be doing. I didn't really see any problem with it if you don't share the results. What do you all think ?
I don't really question whether you can send them in, I would question whether the lab has the authority to give the results to someone that isn't an owner.  I'm not a bull owner and it really didn't affect me one way or the other, just threw the question out because I was curious. 
SEK (from what I understand) had authorization from the bull owners with the threat so to speak that they wouldn't carry semen that wasn't tested, they are in a little different situation because they are under contract with the owners.

I guess under a different angle I also question DNA.  If I buy a market animal at a market sale, whether it be county fair or American Royal, I pay premium plus the cost for the animal where I own meat and all, do I have the authority to take a DNA sample for cloning purposes?  Just food for thought

Actually Jill, SEK tested at their own expense and posted the results - they did NOT ask permission from the bull owners (and some were unhappy) - but SEK thought it was the right thing to do. You can call Dr Coover if you want the whole story - make sure you ask him why he decided to do it, dl

aj

I'll tell you what would realyy be special. I the owners of defect bulls keep dragging their feet, and double talking, and jerking people around. Then get a couple of lawyers involved in a couple cases. Then the industry could get a bunch of publicity, maybe make the "60 minutes" show. Then we could get peta involved in the horse**** that is involed in the club calf business all in the name of the "children". If steerjocks like pha and th cattle wouldn't it be best to advertise the truth. It might increase sale of semen to club calf people. Just tell the darn truth and let god and country sort it out. There seems to be no truth in advertising in selling semen and promoting cattle.

DL

aj said:
I'll tell you what would realyy be special. I the owners of defect bulls keep dragging their feet, and double talking, and jerking people around. Then get a couple of lawyers involved in a couple cases. Then the industry could get a bunch of publicity, maybe make the "60 minutes" show. Then we could get peta involved in the horse**** that is involed in the club calf business all in the name of the "children". If steerjocks like pha and th cattle wouldn't it be best to advertise the truth. It might increase sale of semen to club calf people. Just tell the darn truth and let god and country sort it out. There seems to be no truth in advertising in selling semen and promoting cattle.

AMEN! AJ Tonight you are the man!

What do you think a jury would say when the little blond haired girl sits crying on the witness stand about her very first show heifer that died from a PHA calf - sobbing actually - "they didn't tell us when we bought the semen that the bull was a carrier, but they knew" or alternately "They didn't tell me when I bought her that my show heifer was a carrier, but they knew, and now she's dead and the calf is dead too"

OH Breeder

aj said:
I just had this discussion. It is only a matter of time an til a lawsuit surfaces from undisclosed genetic defects. The right attorney and the right court. It is bound to happen. It wouldn't be hard to prove knowledge on the breeders part if from carriers parents.

Latest posts