Jobs - N/C

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

I do medical transcription from my home and take care of the cows and my husband works for power company at their plant making electricity.

farmboy

inthebarnagain said:
I do medical transcription from my home and take care of the cows and my husband works for power company at their plant making electricity.

what is medical transcription?

if you guys can't tell, i am trying to figure out what i want to do with my life so i appreciate it

CJC

What ever field you go into Zack learn as much as you can about it. What jobs are you leaning towards?

justme

I have so many job titles its not funny....embroiderer, hired man, AI tech, mom's taxi, cook, maid, tutor, and the list keeps going...

My husband is a banker...he specializes in ag loans.  Its a path he never thought of, and wishes he'd went that route years ago.

Whatever you choose, pick something you have a passion for.  I started my business by combining all my hobbies and things I love.  I love crafts, sewing, art, and cattle/livestock.  Its a good fit for me.

N2ShowN

I work for the USDA.  It's a great job, I get to work with producers every day and have a very secure govt job!!

inthebarnagain

zach said:
inthebarnagain said:

what is medical transcription?

if you guys can't tell, i am trying to figure out what i want to do with my life so i appreciate it

Medical transcription is typing medical reports, surgery reports, office visits, x-rays, etc.  It is great because I can set my own hours but you don't make as much as you do in some other jobs, kind of limited by the amount of work that you do. 

I used to be a veterinary technician, went to Purdue for it and got the degree.  I regret every day that I didn't go to veterinary school instead.  At the time I was not wanting to be in school for 7 to 8 years and thought a technician would be just as good.  What I forgot is that I would be at the mercy of another person as far as salary goes.  There is a huge shortage of large animal veterinarians right now and if you have the grades I would go for it in a hot second.  There are a lot of late nights and hard work but you are already used to that having cattle to begin with.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lisa

chambero

I'm an environmental scientist (undergrad and graduate degrees paid for by ag scholarships) that works for a water resources and infrastructure engineering company in Texas.

No advice could be better than do what you love, but.....

Stay away from the temptations of "foofoo degrees" - philosophy, sociology, PE, political science, etc. UNLESS you plan to pursue a PhD in those fields.  Those degree are next to useless and way too many kids are tempted by the "easy" classes. 

Unless you come from a family that owns land or an established ag business or are dedicated to become a vet- stay away from any degree with ag in the name.  Before I get shot on this board, here's my reasoning.  You can get a job in ag with a degree from another field - i.e. marketing, finance, and especially engineering.  But the converse does not hold true.  You WILL be looked down upon by non-ag companies if you have a degree with "ag" in front of it.  An agricultural engineer has a hard time getting a job as an engineer in any other field.  But a mechanical engineer can get hired by any ag company.  So much of ag can be learned (and is best learnd oftentimes) by personal experience, not a classroom.  I had a professor pull me aside my freshman year and offer me this advice and he was so correct.

You will never be out of work (at least not very long) with an engineering degree from any field.  They aren't easy, but they pay and are in critical demand.  Always.  Other science fields don't pay nearly as well and aren't nearly as much in demand.

Eberth

I work for Cargill as a Farm Marketer. Basically I am a grain buyer, I drive around and talk to farmers all day and talk about the markets, trends, Cargills Risk Management Solutions and so forth. I absolutely love the job, it is not where I thought I wanted to be after I graduated college last may with an animal science and Ag journalism degree but am very pleased with the job that I found.

OH Breeder

I was once a Open Heart Surgery& Emergency Room R N did that for about 14 years all the while going to school. I did a BS and a BA and now work for a Diagnostic Company and travel quiet bit. Gotta love Verizon Wireless.....

CJC

justme said:
I have so many job titles its not funny....embroiderer, hired man, AI tech, mom's taxi, cook, maid, tutor, and the list keeps going...

My husband is a banker...he specializes in ag loans.  Its a path he never thought of, and wishes he'd went that route years ago.

Whatever you choose, pick something you have a passion for.  I started my business by combining all my hobbies and things I love.  I love crafts, sewing, art, and cattle/livestock.  Its a good fit for me.
If your not happy with what you are doing no amount of money is going to change that (it will help). So go into something you are going to enjoy.

shortyjock89

showman said:
i go to college and fit calves. its a good life except for the college part ::)

SAAAAAMMMEEEEE here.  The college part gets in the way of the fitting part sometimes.  And professors don't always understand just how big of a deal NAILE is haha.

justintime

I may be the odd one in this topic, but I really have never had a real job other than working a few sales when i was in college and just after graduating. Spent my entire life chasing cows. The only boss I have had was my dad, and he let me make most of the decisions, in regards to the cows since I got out of college, so I have been my own boss most of my life.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to do what I loved, but the benefits, the health plan and the pension kinda sucks. That's OK as I plan to continue to chase cows for as long as my body allows. Then I will probably disperse my herd, and buy a few and find some young person to partner with. Then I'll die.

CATTLENUT

I have construction and mining comp. this is a very rewarding job if you like being outside. We pave roads and see a lot of nice seneary. It doesn,t seem as glamerous as some of the hi-tec jobs but its work thats always in demand

Davis Shorthorns

Right now I am a student and raising cattle.  When I graduate I am hoping to become a manager at a COOP and build a herd until I can retire and just run cattle.