Johnny Walker Red

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLB

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Johnny Walker Red.  Also, is he not used very much because I can only recall seeing a calf or 2 out of him.  I figured he would be used a whole lot more.  Also, what about White Boy?  What's the deal with him?  I have not seen any calves out of him. 

TJ

I've always liked the looks of JWR.  I've heard that he's a smaller framed bull, but other than that, he's a pretty good one.  I'd like to see more calves myself.     

vet tech

TJ said:
I've always liked the looks of JWR.  I've heard that he's a smaller framed bull, but other than that, he's a pretty good one.  I'd like to see more calves myself.       
He is a smaller framed bull...I saw him at the Ohio Beef Expo a couple years back and he is very nice just a bit small

oregondad

We have a bull calf out of JWR out of a Draft Pick cow. He is less than 8 weeks old right now, but so far he is very impressive. I am also interested in info on White Boy. As far as JWR goes we will use him alot more.

simmigirl25

he looks pretty good.
look at one of his sons on Phil Lautners website his name is Mellow Yellow. thats who were breeding with this year

bcosu

JWR wasn't bad, but i think he just has to be used on a bigger cow. so many of these lautner bulls are just empty advertisements. there are normally one or maybe two that end up staying around after their debut. the lautner bulls to use are the ones he buys as mature bulls like money shot, paddy o'malley, alias and so on. these bulls have their place and don't fix everything but each is good at doing something.

DLD

I saw several cool looking JWR babies last fall, but by the time those fall calves were being traded, many of them had disappeared. Some had some structural issues, some just fell a little short on quality. Don't get me wrong, the ones that I know of that are still around are really nice, and obviously he has produced some very good ones (Mellow Yellow for example). Maybe it's just the growing pains of learning how to mate him correctly, but so far he doesn't look real consistent. I hope we guessed right at how to mate him, because we should have a few fallborns out of him.

vet tech

DLD said:
I saw several cool looking JWR babies last fall, but by the time those fall calves were being traded, many of them had disappeared. Some had some structural issues, some just fell a little short on quality. Don't get me wrong, the ones that I know of that are still around are really nice, and obviously he has produced some very good ones (Mellow Yellow for example). Maybe it's just the growing pains of learning how to mate him correctly, but so far he doesn't look real consistent. I hope we guessed right at how to mate him, because we should have a few fallborns out of him.
What did you breed him to?

DLB

Milk Man has sired some good calves out of Mimms in Texas.  Don't quote me, but I believe 1 calf was sold for around $40,000.  I would like to use him later down the road.

hm5220

Glad I came across this post! I have been looking to order semen on JWR, but may not be what i need. Would anyone suggest a RED club calf bull that will throw RED calves. We have Gert cows creating Star5 calves. The female I am looking to breed now is sired by National Champion Hammer 860 and out of a Junior National Champion. We have had really great luck with local Angus bulls on her, she has produced several sale topping bulls. I want a steer out of her! She is a powerhouse esp for a Gert, lol, heavy boned and very correct. She is smaller framed and was slower maturing. She needs a bull that will lengthen her neck and add butt and hair. Her calves are thick topped, deep bodied, ave. bone. Several shows are adding an American Breeds steer division and/or a Star5 division would like to start out with something nice for a little girls first year. Everyone around here says go black even been offered semen but would like to have a red one for the heck of it!

farmboy

HM - Heatwave will throw red calves and black ones. FWIW HW full brother is named red bull and he is solid red, so red on red should get you some red calves. i think red bull might be an alternative to Heatwave as far as calving ease, not a heifer bull but not like HW birthweights, just what i think. well find out next spring

hm5220

Good idea, will look into that. She is my test cow so if something doest work it can go to the stockyard! Hasnt happened yet so I'll take a risk with her.

DLD

vet tech said:
What did you breed him to?

Some different things - a Strictly Business daughter or two  and  some granddaughters (Everclear daughters) and some mostly Angus (a couple of T510's, and an OCC Homer) and a couple of Herefords (Pure Gold granddaughters). The Maines  because I thought they were the right kind to work with him, the Herefords 'cause I thought he might throw a Hereford marked one, the Angus 'cause I really hadn't planned on AI'ing them and it was the semen there was the most of in that tank, so that's what they got. They all should be plenty sound, the Maines are stout enough. I'm a little concerned if there's enough power there to really get something out of the mostly Angus and Hereford cows, though. I guess we'll see.