jose vs daddys money

Help Support Steer Planet:

neocattleman

what are peoples opinions on these 2 bulls? thinking of breeding some maternal bred simms to them? which would work better? what are the birth weights? are they heifer safe?

Till-Hill

Just my opinion but there is no such thing as a clubby bred heifer safe bull.

Maternal Simmental heifer why not Angus or keep her Simmental?

We use Confidence, Confidence's son Courage http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php/bull-database-view-page?bid=288&breed=Angus this year also,  old Bismark has worked for years.

Right Answer is a top pick here too.

For Simmental's people really like the Uno Mas calves http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php/bull-database-view-page?bid=202&breed=Simmental, Grandmaster http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php/bull-database-view-page?bid=101&breed=Simmental has been working for a long time.

I personally use sexed semen on heifers as I know I can't make a steer worth selling out of a heifer without cutting it out the side. And I always breed them maternal. If we end up with a good bull calf sometimes we keep him back for clean up. A good live calf the first year we can power her up for years to come. 

Go Green

"Just my opinion but there is no such thing as a clubby bred heifer safe bull"

This is good advice, i had to learn the hard way even though i have read on here a thousand times "don't breed heifers clubby". I have a couple Shorthorn X heifers. last spring i had a friend come over and breed them and i bought straws that he had in his tank. I put Right Answer on one and Hard Core on the other. They said they had used Hard Core with success on some SIm/Angus heifers so i tried it. The problem is i didn't know what was on the cows side. I have a nice live Angus/Shorthorn bull calf and a Hard Core calf buried out back. He was huge, it was harder to get his hips out than his head. I may have been able to get him alive but i don't know how long she had been trying when i found her. I don't have a barn camera and i work full time off the farm. It took my heifer 24 hours before she could stand again and she is still limping. I'm just glad i had purchased a Dr. Franks before the calves were due. Even the the Angus calf was 85lbs and i had to pull. (i didn't use the jack) so now i know these cows throw big calves. Now i'm concerned i may have screwed up when i purchased my clean up bull for this year. He's a Jose son his dam is full sib to I-80.i have 4 heifers to breed this year and they will all get Angus.And i will get a barn camera or MooCall sensor?

Sorry if i'm rambling, the whole thing was traumatic. I only had 3 calves coming- here's to hoping the 3rd one goes better.
To quote JIT on here- "experience is what you get when you don't have it when you need it"

neocattleman

the ones that I'm really considering using them on are second calvers but i asked about heifers because i have a couple heifers to breed that i wasnt sure what to breed them to and was curious on other peoples opinion but it looks like i wont use either bull on the heifers.

i looked into uno mas to use for a sim on them but all these females are either dream on daughters or granddaughters and i dont want to linebred them that closely since uno mas is a dream on son. also i have heard good things on the maine x simm cross

thanks for the replies

b_kackley

I have not seen any monsters out of either one, but if you ask me what I am breeding my heifers to my answer is Angus. The answer, connealy confidence, there are several proven calving ease Angus bulls. As far as those two I have seen several daddy's money calves and they seem to click pretty well with Sim X. I have only seen one Jose calf. It was very young so jury is still out for me on him though I like the looks of the bull. I had some comfort zone calves that came easy but I still would fear breeding him to a heifer. Of the calves I have seen this year the comfort zones are definitely some of my favorites.

BroncoFan

neocattleman said:
the ones that I'm really considering using them on are second calvers but i asked about heifers because i have a couple heifers to breed that i wasnt sure what to breed them to and was curious on other peoples opinion but it looks like i wont use either bull on the heifers.

i looked into uno mas to use for a sim on them but all these females are either dream on daughters or granddaughters and i dont want to linebred them that closely since uno mas is a dream on son. also i have heard good things on the maine x simm cross

thanks for the replies
For what you are trying to do, both will work and the calf will can be registered maintainer.

Tyler

Till-Hill said:

Jose is a purebred Maine and Daddy's Money is a 3/4 blood.

You can look up extended pedigrees on the Maine website, both have excellent ced and bw epd's. 

I would not call them crossed up mongrels.

Till-Hill

Tyler said:
Till-Hill said:

You can look up extended pedigrees on the Maine website, both have excellent ced and bw epd's. 

I did not call them mongrels but original poster was asking about on Simmental heifers that cross breeding is going to add some heterois and usually birth weight is going to be higher. I have no knowledge of Jose bull but around this area there have been some guys custom AI'ing heifers all over to Daddy's Money and there are some upset kids when their show heifer from last year had trouble.

I'd must rather let a heifer have an average calf vs the risk of a great one with the pulling, vet calls and after all that sometimes then the heifer won't take a calf. Just how we do things. Don't mean it's right. BTW the Sim x Maine deal works. We got a few of them around and I do like the looks of them. They raise Angus calves for a year or two tho.

BroncoFan

We put all our first calf heifers in with a calving ease angus or angus cross bull because we haven't had great success in AI-ing first calf heifers but all the reports I have heard on Daddy's Money is they come out around 70lbs. He would definitely work on 2nd calvers.

Tyler

Till-Hill said:
Tyler said:
Till-Hill said:

I did not call them mongrels but original poster was asking about on Simmental heifers that cross breeding is going to add some heterois and usually birth weight is going to be higher. I have no knowledge of Jose bull but around this area there have been some guys custom AI'ing heifers all over to Daddy's Money and there are some upset kids when their show heifer from last year had trouble.

I'd must rather let a heifer have an average calf vs the risk of a great one with the pulling, vet calls and after all that sometimes then the heifer won't take a calf. Just how we do things. Don't mean it's right. BTW the Sim x Maine deal works. We got a few of them around and I do like the looks of them. They raise Angus calves for a year or two tho.

A pet peeve of mine is Maine = Clubby, sorry about that.  Good point about the hybrid vigor in the birthweights,  I still would not worry about using those bulls on heifers, if she can't have an 80 to 85lb calf unassisted as a heifer she has pelvic issues or is too fat.  I would be willing to bet management of replacements causes more problems than genetics.  If these are show heifers you are breeding by all means use lowline or a longhorn, you are going to have problems with too fat show heifers.

Till-Hill

I agree Tyler. We had a 96# heifer calf born no problems. But a 63# bull that wasn't shaped right out of a 2nd calver was stillborn. Shape of the calf means a heck of a lot more than the weight.

Grandpa told a 50# sink plug won't let the water out but 100# of string will go right down. That's always stuck with me. I don't like pulling calves and if we do the cow goes to town.

kjd farms

I can only speak for Daddy's Money of the 2 bulls mentioned in the original post.  We had 5 calves from him and they ranged from 65 to 80 lbs.  All were unassisted, 1 male, 4 females.  They came out an Eye Candy 2 year old, a Monopoly and a Boardwalk 4 year old, an All About You 9 year old, and a Who Made Who five year old.  All of these cows have purebred Angus or close to it on the dam side except for the All About You cow that has a purebred Limousin dam.

For the most part, we used him on our THC cows with one exception. 

As far as other bulls to use on clubby heifers, we used sexed male Right Answer with great success.  We used I-67 on a few as well with one assisted calving. 

We went back with I-80 and Angus Valley this year for our heifers, so we'll see next year.

diamonddls

We have had calves out both bulls this season. The Jose calves have been much better quality calves but bw was higher than DaddysMoney. Would have no oroblems breeding DaddysMoney to any hefiers although Im susoect he will reduce frame size. The Jose cakves have a had a lot of bine and stretch but when bred to hfrs with some bw in their pedigree the calves did come bigger than expected. Will be using both bulls again this year but will be more selective abiut the mating to Jose

neocattleman

thank you everyone for your replies.

Tyler these are not show heifers the heifers i have are not fed to get fat just fed to grow i try to manage my heifers to not get real fat because of the problems i have seen calving out fat show heifers

has anyone else noticed daddys money reducing frame size?