JPJ calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mcdonald Show Animals

was wondering how his calves look have heard alot about him but have seen many calf pics. We currently have 4 cows bred to him just anxiously waiting if you have pics of some will you show them off, also he is truly a calving ease bull are there any? we have bred him to angus influenced cows whats the probability of them looking like shortys?

BCCC

He is definatly a calving ease bull. there are quite a few of his calve son this board, If you look at shortdawgs avator, the calf in it is a JPJ. He also has a whhite bull called Blanco, Showheifer also has a few, I can't think of who else has some :'(

Jill

We had 3 this year, all were flush mates, 82, 84 and 79 pretty light weights for older recip cows.  They were born in the really cold wet streak we had and we lost 2 of them, they never really seemed like they had a will to live, not blaming the bull but these were the only 2 we lost for health reasons.  The dam is a purbred Maine that has thrown some white with other combinations, the 2 that died were black with no evidence of white, the heifer is dark also but has a white belly and some white hairs in her rump, I'll get a picture of her later.

jzapper906

JPJ calf 5 days old, off of a black/white maine cow, 92 lbs.

Attachments

• JPJBull.jpg
    JPJBull.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 606

shortyjock89

Nice lookin little bugger..and also  (welcome)   

92 lbs is a little larger than the bwts that I have been hearing from JPJ, but it could be the cow, or a number of things.  Very nice calf though.

What's the story about the calf that is in jail (inside the bale feeder)???  Looks like she might be in time out :p

jzapper906

I think the larger bwt comes from the cow/family, they always have calves around 100 plus, he was also born about a week late.  The red calf is a witchdoctor heilfer, same age and was 72 lbs, can't keep her out of the feeders. 

red

(welcome) Jzapper906

Very nice calves! lots of hair.

I have the same thing w/ my calves. They love the hay feeder. Hubby has to yell at them to get them out of it before putting a new bale in.

Red

garybob

Y'all, I don't think 92 pounds is a "bad" BW. I like him! He looks like he's gonna latch on to a teat 'n grow. He's also masculine, even at a young age, You can tell he's a bull calf.

The problem I have is with BW's is two-fold. Number one, not everyone is reporting all Birth weight records (including the dead ones). this, I think leads to the inconsistency of predidcting Birth Weight (and calculating reliable EPD's that newcomers to a Breed won't get 'dooinked' with a dead calf and a crippled-or dead-ex-show heifer). Number two, I am angry as Heck about internal politics within a breed association multiplying this problem exponentially (took me two times to pass college algebra, but, Im no dumb@$$). The breed association that I am endeared to, decided to take a step backward and re-evalute "where we are today", as far as Commercial-orientation. When this particular Breed Association pushed everything back to 1982 ( the "environmental trend" for BW was originally 82 pounds), and re-calculated our database, a certain, currently-popular bull showed an EPD of PLUS 12pointsomething. The owner/breeder( a relative newcomer to the breed, by the way) of this Cow-killer pitched a fit, and got the Genetic Evaluation data changed TO HIS LIKING, and, now, his ''great'' bull has an EPD of plus 8-something.

Thank our Lucky Stars that this particular breeder lost his bid to sit our National Board of Directors.

Nice calf. He's not too big. I firmly believe that 145 pounds is WAY TOO STINKING BIG! Anyone with any common sense knows that, too.

I've held back for too long.

GB

garybob

Jill, I am amazed at the number of people who breed these cattle for their children, who claim to be strong supporters of Youth Projects, knowingly roll the dice and take a calculated risk on getting a calving nightmare that break's a kid's heart. Deformed & dead calves don't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of winning a show.

GB

Show Heifer

Garybob, The RA breed has "total herd reporting" which means EVERY YEAR a cow of calving age, must have a calf reported to her or she goes "inactive", and you are charged $50 to "re-active" her. This includes dead calves, non-registered calves. I think the THEORY is good, it sure helps regulate the numbers, but as with any breed, I have found that if a breeder will lie about one calf, they will lie about 50!!!
What are your feelings about "total herd reporting"???

garybob

Show Heifer said:
Garybob, The RA breed has "total herd reporting" which means EVERY YEAR a cow of calving age, must have a calf reported to her or she goes "inactive", and you are charged $50 to "re-active" her. This includes dead calves, non-registered calves. I think the THEORY is good, it sure helps regulate the numbers, but as with any breed, I have found that if a breeder will lie about one calf, they will lie about 50!!!
What are your feelings about "total herd reporting"???
It's the ONLY way, that any breed will move fully toards Commercial Cattlemen's acceptance of a breed.

GB

Jill

About 25% of our registered cows are used as recip's, how do they deal with those, they have a calf every year, but it isn't from their genetics.

shorthorns r us

garybob said:
Y'all, I don't think 92 pounds is a "bad" BW. I like him! He looks like he's gonna latch on to a teat 'n grow. He's also masculine, even at a young age, You can tell he's a bull calf.

The problem I have is with BW's is two-fold. Number one, not everyone is reporting all Birth weight records (including the dead ones). this, I think leads to the inconsistency of predidcting Birth Weight (and calculating reliable EPD's that newcomers to a Breed won't get 'dooinked' with a dead calf and a crippled-or dead-ex-show heifer). Number two, I am angry as Heck about internal politics within a breed association multiplying this problem exponentially (took me two times to pass college algebra, but, Im no dumb@$$). The breed association that I am endeared to, decided to take a step backward and re-evalute "where we are today", as far as Commercial-orientation. When this particular Breed Association pushed everything back to 1982 ( the "environmental trend" for BW was originally 82 pounds), and re-calculated our database, a certain, currently-popular bull showed an EPD of PLUS 12pointsomething. The owner/breeder( a relative newcomer to the breed, by the way) of this Cow-killer pitched a fit, and got the Genetic Evaluation data changed TO HIS LIKING, and, now, his ''great'' bull has an EPD of plus 8-something.

Thank our Lucky Stars that this particular breeder lost his bid to sit our National Board of Directors.

Nice calf. He's not too big. I firmly believe that 145 pounds is WAY TOO STINKING BIG! Anyone with any common sense knows that, too.

GB

since you are being so coy, i will join in.  for my question i will call your entirely mythical breeder tully.  i assume that tully is quite wealthy; but, it seems unlikey that one man could wield so much power in the organization.  how did this happen?  isn't there an attorney on the board.  didn't the commercially oriented breeders on the BOD fight this.

knabe

i'll take this one on just for fun.  if i got sully to shut up for 4 pounds and fudged just his number, i'd call it a day.  i don't think there are too many who would use a +8 bull without reservations and a calving barn with adequate help.

heck, smithbuilt is 6.1, and i'd still use him, epinal is 5.8 and he's been called a calving ease sire, same with paramount and he's 7.0, but his calving ease might come with PHA though.  thriller is 1.6, would like to hear shortyisqueen's bw's on him.

itk

SRU said:
garybob said:

GB

since you are being so coy, i will join in.  for my question i will call your entirely mythical breeder tully.  i assume that tully is quite wealthy; but, it seems unlikey that one man could wield so much power in the organization.  how did this happen?  isn't there an attorney on the board.  didn't the commercially oriented breeders on the BOD fight this.

SRU of course no one on the board would fight it. They are shorthorn breeders and there is no such thing as a commercially oriented shorthorn breeder. ;D