JR Conquest 62 k(shorthorn bull)

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I think I may have to break down and a.i. next year. I want to downsize and improve fleshing ability, and lower bwt's. I came up with 3 red shortie bulls. Conquest,GFS red cloud, Jakes proud jazz,arsulu massive. Does anyone have daughters by these bulls and what are their udders like? If anyone see's offspring at juniors give me feedback. The board may be slow because of the juniors show but what the heck.

stumpy

AJ If you decide to go with Conquest message me. I might go in with you on shipping and order a little too. I have been looking st that bull for a long time and I think he may work. Do you know where they store that semen?

aj

The ad I'm looking at says JR Ranch owned him but I thought I'd heard twig might have something to do with him now.

M Bar

You might be thinking of JR Legacy 23G.  Twig owned him for a while, bought him from Rex Tribbett I do believe.  We have been using 23G for a few years.  He is at Marty Lovings, or at least was last season.  We have some Red Cloud females, as does Stumpy.  If Stumpy agrees with me, I would call the Red Cloud females moderate to larger framed, 1300 to 1500 pounds mature weights. extremely feminine, with really nice udders.  They won't be super powerful, but from our experience, are hard working, easy doing, problem free cows.  Mix them with a more terminal type sire, and you have a pretty nice show critter.  You can also expect dark red color and adequate, but not heavy boned. 

garybob

Contact Jeff Schmidt directly. He has some semen. Talked to him about it last year, right before I made the career change & moved to town. PM me if you want his cell phone number.

Dale

RB Eagle 226 might be another to consider, if you don't mind white marks.  We have our first Jazz calves this spring--they came unassisted from 2 yr.-old heifers; you are aware that JPG must be a "dark roan".  Why not GFS Red Cloud 7026 instead of his sire?  Waukaru Goldmine is leaving us really good calves. 

aj

I mean't red cloud 7026. Are the goldmine cattle bigger framed? How about fleshing ability of calves. I know I am probably wrong but it seems like anything over a plus 20 yearling epd will not survive in my enviroment as far as washing out is concerned. Lokking at goldmines numbers he leaves a mark pretty high up on the tree. Goodland ks is 5 inches behind normal in precip here where I live. I know a guy weaning 300# calves cause it is over in his pasture. Grass is turning brown . Floods aren't much better I know, but I could use a half inch of rain here for sure. ;D

stumpy

KL Double Duty is a bull that you may want to look at. I have seen a lot of Loving's cattle at their McCrackin pasture and they maintain very well on short grass. The frame is moderate and they are very well muscled cattle.

Dale

As a calf Gold Mine 2109 impressed me very much.  Since then he has developed into a muscular bull with lots of capacity and very moderate frame.  The bottom half of his pedigree is definitely not large-framed.  Our daughters of Gold Mine are still young, but have thickness and depth.  Carnegie threw frame 6 calves for us.Ask Keith Lauer--his breeding is in 2109's pedigree. 

Stumpy is right that KL (Keith Lauer) Double Duty will work on grass--it may be Marty Loving who has a good son of Double Duty that you might consider.  Double Duty will downsize females that have large frames.

Have you considered the 034 (x4078267) bull from Rob Sneed?  We'll have calves by him for fall.  Rob has grass-based operation--he takes care of 250 cows by himself.  There are Shorthorn breeders who are serious about cattle that will calve easily and keep themselves well on pasture; it is just that several of them are under the radar. 

JoeBnTN

I would check on the 23G bull that Twig had.  We bought 23G in the Spokane range bull sale several years ago and used him heavily.  Easily the best calving Shorthorn bull we've ever used.  Calves consistently came at 70-82 with lots of life and vigor - mostly reds with a few dark roans.  Daughters have made super cows and we never had a problem selling yearling bulls.  We tried to get Roy Wallace to come look at him but he said they couldn't sell Shorthorn semen to commercial breeders, so we sold him to Tribbett.  Rex used him with success then Twig, Marty Loving, Troy, et al took him to Kansas -- Troy even took a "chicken legged" bull calf out of him to Louisville.  Many have told me he was/is one of the real "sleepers"' in the Shorthorn breed.  You want no problems and cattle that make money -- see if you can find some semen.

Davis Shorthorns

I used 23g on a few heifers a couple years back and the calves I got were very moderate and like everyone has said they are light at birth and get up and start to nurse right away.  We had absolutely no problems with them. 

M Bar

Just for fun I put a picture of our Waukaru Goldmine 2109 son on here if I can make the attachment stick.  When I get a picture of our 23G son, I'll put it on as well.  Note, the 2109 son is out of an RB Eagle 148 cow

Attachments

• harvey0108.jpg
    harvey0108.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 315

JoeBnTN

Troy,

He's a flat ACE!!!  Those who don't think Shorthorns can contribute to the beef industry obviously haven't seen bulls like this.  You can show him if you like (and it looks like you will) but his value is in the pasture.

Next time I'm at Dad's I'll try ot get a picture of our Matador calf out of a Gizmo daughter - I think you'll like him as he'll should end up looking a lot like your bull.  He weaned at 685 wtih no creep and has really taken off since weaning. 

Congrats on a really good loking bull - can't wait to see the 23G.

Joe

Latest posts