Judge

Help Support Steer Planet:

txshowlamb

Any know judge Mat Lewis of Iliff, Colorado he is judging Fort Worth this year.. What does he look for in a steer?
Thanks

afhm

He has done the OKC spring fair the past 2 or 3 years so look at those pics to get an idea.  If I'm not mistaken the champions the past 2 years were full brothers, so I would say he was consistent.

colosteers

I have never seen Matt judge a show, but I am suprised that he still has time to judge cattle shows since he has gotten into race horses.

good luck and have a good one

DLD

From watching him at OKC for the past 3 years, I'd say they have to most of all be sound and complete.  He uses cattle with muscle and thickness, but they have to be able to move, and have some balance and eye appeal.  He used almost no lightweight (under 1200#) steers in the premium sale in the whole 3 years, and I believe not many under 1250#.  I realize that because of the way sale order is done at Fort Worth that's not directly an issue, but I'd guess that, especially in the lighter classes, the bigger framed stouter one's will have an advantage (more than usual), and I'd expect him to choose his champions from the heavier classes/divisions.  For what it's worth, I think he did a pretty good job. 

Latest posts