judging cattle(simmental)

Help Support Steer Planet:

bfn5005

i understand their is alot of information out there and noone can explain everything in great detail here... but... i was wondering what everyone mainly looks at when purchasing or judging a show heifer(simmental). i have been showing cattle for a couple years now and my cattle do alright in there classes. they are around the middle of the pack but i just cant seem to get one that is outstanding and does real well. anyone have any suggestions of what to look for? thanks.

The Show

Structural correctness is a must, pretty fronted, spring of rib, deep in the flank, big boned, tail head set(a lot of Simmi's have bad tail heads), a little muscle, and hair. The calves that win classes at majors have all of these characteristics. Structure has become more of an issue than it once was. I saw calves at FW last week that were awesome on the rail but when they got on the move they weren't very sound and they got buried. Usually a really sound calf will be a calf that is a little thicker & soggier.

bfn5005

thank you all. Now besides structure, how much of this stuff do you think you can obtain through strong feeding and hair maintenance?

the angus111

bfn5005 said:
thank you all. Now besides structure, how much of this stuff do you think you can obtain through strong feeding and hair maintenance?
i think feeding is the most important, but genetics play the biggest role.and hair,well i guess its important.i still wish there was no emphasis put on it,but there is.rusty

The Show

bfn5005 said:

If a calf genetically has spring of rib and depth then she'll naturally have it and proper feeding will keep/maintain it, same goes for muscle. You can almost make a calf have hair if you will work her everyday and take care of her right. One thing I've learned over the years from showing and it goes for everything(steers, heifers, pigs, goats, etc...). NEVER buy a calf and go "If we can just feed a little more top in her, or a little more this or a little more that" don't play the "if" game bc if you think about it. That calf will look the same in the end as she did the day you bought her.

AAOK

There are subtle differences in different areas of the country as to what the Judges are looking for, even though the same 30-40 Judges are lining up the classes.  The best thing you can do is go to as many shows in your area as you can find, and pay close attention to the differences of a first in class versus second & third.  Pay even more attention to the differences between the Champion and the other class winners. 

Don't pay too much attention to the Judges reasons; in 20 classes they will say the same thing fifteen times.

Yes, a great feed program combined with great fitting, grooming, and showing has propeled many a third place calf to Champion.

All this will take more time and effort than 99% of the "Show Folks" are willing to surender.  Many start, few survive. 

WWS

I would say being sound and correct are number one in the majority of judges priorities then it comes down to preference for the rest. My personal opinion it goes 1. soundess 2. Volume/Rib shape and capacity 3. Power 4. Frontend and balanced package. There is alot of things to consider the best thing i could say would be to watch alot of shows and pay close attention to animals.  Also, paying attention to reasons of judges will help alot it might be repeated because they judge for what they are looking for but it will help. The tailhead set thing is tied to Dream On, alot of his offspring will have a high tailhead set and it comes through dream on's sire Nichols Legacy.  When i was starting out i took some advice of a close friend of mine and it was go for soundess number one and alot of the rest you can feed and get through a good work ethic to an extent, but i have learned one thing from alot of sales recently and that is that when selling heifer calves soundess is not near as big of a deal.  Seems like the most important thing is to have them as fat as possible with power and hair and you are going to do pretty well.