Just curious???

Help Support Steer Planet:

steermomintx

Hi everyone,
I am curious how different areas stock shows work.

Here in Texas we purchase our steers in Jan. thru March--they are fall born steers.  During the summer and fall we go to alot of jackpot shows and county fairs.  Our calves finish out starting in January to late March.  We have our county show in January, then we have major shows which is were we sell our animals ex. San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth, San Angelo, Austin.

On Steerplanet I hear alot of people talking about going to there fair and the pictures are of fat cattle.  I am assuming your fair is like our county show in January.  After your fair what are the major shows that your attend??  How many steers do you have on feed per child?

Just curious!!!!

Turkey Creek Ranch

Our calves are born in February-March. The only show we go to is our country fair, which is in Mid-July. The calves either get sold through the auction, go on the truck, or we take them home. We usually have 2-3 calves each on feed for my brother and I, but this year we had 8 total. We took 2 each to the fair, sold one each, and brought the rest back home and fed them for a few weeks then take them to the local locker and sell the meat to family and friends. We usually don't feed so many calves, but it is good because you never know how they will turn out and grow.

BCCC

Most of our calves are born in Febuary and march, and then We normally buy/sell from the first of august to december. We show at quite a few shows all year long in the spring with yearlings and in the summer with fats and prospects, and then in the fall with bred heifers, and prospects. We dont have majors just, county, state, wichita, and then jackpots.

Dusty

In the midwest for the most part the calves are spring borns (Feb thru May).  Buy them in the fall (Aug-Nov)  There are the wintertime preview shows, then jackpots through the spring and summer, county fairs are usually in july to early august.  State fairs in August to early september, then AKSARBEN at the end of Sept,  if you don't win in Omaha you can go to Kansas City in late October, if you still have a steer after KC then NAILE, then if you still have your steer and you can shrink him back to under 1400 and still look decent you can go to  Sioux Falls or Denver in Janurary.  After that the steer is coming 2 yrs old and it is time to take his body temp down to 35 degrees......

harrisonshowgurl

In northern AR we usually get our steers at the end of October or the beginning of November. They are feb-april calves and we show in jackpots all spring. Our county and district fair is in the middle of September. The steers usually weight 1150-1400 at our county fair. Then the next show is state in October. Me and my sister each show two steers and then some reg. heifers.

Latest posts