Just reminiscing: old pics.

Help Support Steer Planet:

BuckJones

So i've just been looking at all these MaineX show calves. It always gets me wondering if we will try our hand at MaineX calves here.

But I think back to the last only MaineX calf we had. He was pretty nice. Our club took 7 of the 10 top spots in weight classes that year. For the first time ever, our club won (after 25 years)  Best Group of steers, all were MaineX, and finally won a Champion steer, and Top Carcass.

Pictures:

This first one we loved. He was Maine AingusX. Everybody loved him...the judge said "This here steer in front of me is the best steer in the ring...but he's 1500lbs!"

Second one was BraunveihX. Had a cool pattern. Was pretty thick but had no bone. He took Runner-Up Champion and Top Beef Carcass that year. 1440 lbs.

This third little Speckle steer was the Grand Champ. He was the smoothest steer I ever felt. I think he was just over 1200 lbs.

Attachments

• 100_4953.jpg
    100_4953.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_4958.jpg
    100_4958.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_4971.jpg
    100_4971.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 179

fed_champions

Ive had those circles on my pics before, did some searching and some people believe theyre orbs, spirits of ghosts, what do u think?

BuckJones

That was our benchmark year. Year later in 2009, we took one first, one second and three thirds.

First pic is my market lamb for 08. Totally different that show lambs in the US. She always had a smile! She took runner-up and Best-Groomed.

Second was Grand Champ steer in 09. He weighed 1465 lbs.

Third is the only steer from our club that took first in class in 09. Weight: 1320 lbs.

Attachments

• stella.jpg
    stella.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 180
  • grand09.jpg
    grand09.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 0809.jpg
    0809.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 162

BuckJones

fed_champions said:
Ive had those circles on my pics before, did some searching and some people believe theyre orbs, spirits of ghosts, what do u think?

I think the dirty barn air got my lens dirty and I was too lazy to clean it. :)

BuckJones

This brings us to 2010. Was a wierd year. We had 3 steers place first...the rest placed bottom 2 or 3. All of the three top steers were Limos. Two of which were sired by half brother of a Limo steer I already posted, and our calves we picked this year.

First picture is the second ever steer our club has had win Runner-Up Champion. Carcass results ain't in yet. Weight: 1390 lbs. Limi-Flex.

No pic, but next was lightest at just over 1200. Was CharX.

Other Top placing steer I already posted pics of before.

Grand Champion steer for 2010 was a CharX related to Champ from 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_3381 (2).jpg
    IMG_3381 (2).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 169

BuckJones

Sorry if I post too many pics and talk too much. :p
I'm just thinking out loud as I contemplate moving beyond our once a year District show, into much tougher Regional and Provincial shows with Purebreds(Bulls, heifers and Cow/Calf),  and perhaps even getting into "club calves".

This is a big deal for us. We are the only "First Nations" 4-H Club in Canada. None of us live on a ranch. I was in 4-H for 10 years with my last year as a Jr. Leader. Now, i'm just a poor uni student who helps as much as possible and I'm so happy that Steerplanet is here to help! :D

taylor tay

dont worry, these all look like really nice animals and if you have any questions, there are many people here to help