Justin Work Boot

Help Support Steer Planet:

AAOK

My category!  Your feet sweat all the time, no matter what kind of shoe or boot.  A Gore-Tex lined boot is also usually insulated with Thinsulate.  Thinsulate is a blend of unique elastomeric fine olefin fibers and larger staple fibers.  The Olifin helps to "wick" the persperation away from your foot.  This type of insulated boot is actually cooler, and better for your feet than a non-insulated boot.  Where most people make their mistake in footwear is with their socks.  NEVER, NEVER put cotton socks next to your feet!!! Cotton traps the sweat, thus keeping your feet wet.  This is the primary reason most people have cold feet in the winter.  Not only is it cold, but even moreso because your feet are always wet. 

Best Socks - a thin Orlon or Nylon next to your foot, with a Wool sock over it.

Good Socks - High-bulk Orlon 

Footnote: (now that's funny) NEVER wear the same pair of Shoes or Boots two days in a row.  Because of foot persperation, your shoes need at least one day/night to Air-Out.
Working men, and Women:  When you purchase your work shoes/work boots, buy two pair, so you are able to always have one pair dry.  You will find you will get about 3-times the wear out of the two. 

BadgerFan

wow, AAOK.  You sound like you know what you're talking about.  I almost never clean or oil my boots, is that akin to never changing the oil in my car (something good to do)?  Or is it not neccesary?

Shady Lane

AAOK said:
My category!  Your feet sweat all the time, no matter what kind of shoe or boot.   A Gore-Tex lined boot is also usually insulated with Thinsulate.  Thinsulate is a blend of unique elastomeric fine olefin fibers and larger staple fibers.  The Olifin helps to "wick" the persperation away from your foot.  This type of insulated boot is actually cooler, and better for your feet than a non-insulated boot.  Where most people make their mistake in footwear is with their socks.  NEVER, NEVER put cotton socks next to your feet!!! Cotton traps the sweat, thus keeping your feet wet.  This is the primary reason most people have cold feet in the winter.  Not only is it cold, but even moreso because your feet are always wet. 

Footnote: (now that's funny) NEVER wear the same pair of Shoes or Boots two days in a row.  Because of foot persperation, your shoes need at least one day/night to Air-Out.
Working men, and Women:  When you purchase your work shoes/work boots, buy two pair, so you are able to always have one pair dry.  You will find you will get about 3-times the wear out of the two.   

I knew it!!

AAOK you are actually Al Bundy the shoe salesman from 'Married With Children" aren't you?

AAOK

I spent 29 years in the work/western clothing business.  My two largest items were Levi's & Red Wing boots.  A good "Boot Man" won't let you out of the store with a new pair of boots without the right Oil, Treatment, or Polish.

If your boots are oil tanned (have a noticeable wet oil feel) they will last much longer if you don't ever let the leather get dry.  Don't ever let your boots dry with mud on them.  Use a Neatsfoot Oil, or Red Wing's Boot Oil.  If the leather is a dry tan (looks oiled, but you can't feel an oil) then you need to regularly apply brush-on silicone (not spray).  Most all insulated boots are dry tanned.  The timing for treatment depends on how you wear your boots.  Manure and Urine will rot leather in a hurry, as will many common chemicals.  Once a month is probably a good rule of thumb.

Tip:  Red Wing Boot Oil is the best conditioner on the market for a Baseball Glove!

AAOK

Shady Lane said:
AAOK said:
My category!  Your feet sweat all the time, no matter what kind of shoe or boot.   A Gore-Tex lined boot is also usually insulated with Thinsulate.  Thinsulate is a blend of unique elastomeric fine olefin fibers and larger staple fibers.  The Olifin helps to "wick" the persperation away from your foot.  This type of insulated boot is actually cooler, and better for your feet than a non-insulated boot.  Where most people make their mistake in footwear is with their socks.  NEVER, NEVER put cotton socks next to your feet!!! Cotton traps the sweat, thus keeping your feet wet.  This is the primary reason most people have cold feet in the winter.  Not only is it cold, but even moreso because your feet are always wet. 

I knew it!!

AAOK you are actually Al Bundy the shoe salesman from 'Married With Children" aren't you?

Al is my little brother.  Alway was was a Patsy!  Guess that's why he sold ladies' shoes.

knabe

AAOK said:

that's why the military issues two pairs of boots.  they figured that out a long time ago my dad told me.

i have always loved leather soled shoes, but wear cotton socks.

do the make thinner wool socks?  i don't like the super thin techno socks and don't like the thick wool socks.

rf21970

Great advice on boot care. The last 2 pairs of work boots I bought have been gore-tex. Well worth the additional cost.

AAOK

knabe said:
AAOK said:

that's why the military issues two pairs of boots.  they figured that out a long time ago my dad told me.

i have always loved leather soled shoes, but wear cotton socks.

do the make thinner wool socks?  i don't like the super thin techno socks and don't like the thick wool socks.
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Toe-Windsor-Dress-3-Pack/dp/B0002TV2R4/ref=pd_sbs_a_1