k-bar sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

i really like lot #2, #35, #37a, and #64. but i like 2 and 37a  the best

pigguy

Doc said:
What about the Hot Sauce bull?
he dont look bad either, looks like he has pretty big shoulders(like most irish whiskey calves) pha status?

OH Breeder

Looks like a great group of females. Some flashy heifers. Could be a great way to start a club calf herd.

JSchroeder

A subject that catalog brings up that might be best discussed in another thread is what's the maximum age you're willing to buy cows?  I certainly don't cull them at that age but I'm apprehensive of buying them that old due to the limited time to recoup the investment.

After a quick glance of the ages, I'd say at least a 1/3 of those cows are 7-years plus.

Doc

JSchroeder said:
A subject that catalog brings up that might be best discussed in another thread is what's the maximum age you're willing to buy cows?  I certainly don't cull them at that age but I'm apprehensive of buying them that old due to the limited time to recoup the investment.

After a quick glance of the ages, I'd say at least a 1/3 of those cows are 7-years plus.
I don't think there is wrong with buying them if you have a plan & don't get silly on your price. I've bought a lot of cows over the years with some age at a good price to get a cow or cow family & not have to spend a arm & leg. I'm also not running my cows over the open plains so I might get away with keeping them around a little longer.

afhm

Hot Sauce is a Hustler (smy) not a Irish Whiskey.  I can't wait for the sale it could be a historic one for club calf cows

knabe

lot 56
72b

35 was too pinchy for me, just not comfortable with simmi's yet.  to much segregation going on at this point for me.

chambero

Clenbuterol was used by a whole bunch of folks back in the mid 90s.  Usually in actually feeding out steers, not in babies (at least to my knowledge).  I never saw Kephart or other breeders direclty implicated in anything personally.  However, I bet there weren't many people involved in the steer business back then at a high level that wasn't in the big middle of it. 

I don't think anyone in the country has had the long-term, sustained success that Kephart has in producing steers and the breeding cattle that raises them.

As far as I know, he and Dr. Coover were the first ones to successfully clone a bull (Full Flush) for use in semen production. 

I would think these would be pretty good cattle.  If I were buying, I'd want to know how hard some of these cows have been flush and how much "useful" life they have left.  Most of these animals have probably been running in real range conditions and should be fairly functional.

My question is why have almost all of the OK club calf breeders been dispersing their spring calvers over the past couple of years. 

I'm also curious as to why this one is being held the day before the Exposure sale.  Kephart used to have cattle in that sale.

DLD

Chambero, just to clarify what Dan's implying, one of Kephart's daughters had one of the steers that was kicked out at Tulsa for testing positive for clenbuterol, back in the day. Not making excuses for it, but it was a long time ago and they've done their penance, imho. I've dealt with Dean for many years, and he's never been anything but honest and fair with me.

The K Bar cows are a tremendous set.  Look them over and talk cows with Dean for awhile and you'll understand why - he knows what he's doing.

As to why the spring calving cows are being dispersed (not just these), I think it's a combination of the strength of the market for these kind of females right now, and the fact that springborn club calves just won't bring what fall borns will in this part of the country. The number of Tulsa/Dallas steers sold is small compared to those for OKC/Fort Worth/Houston, etc..., and they just won't bring the same kind of money (on the average). Granted, plenty of our southern spring borns find their way to the mid-west, but there's still not the same kind of market here as for fall borns. I believe that all that is making it attractive for breeders here to sell spring calvers and concentrate on (maybe expand) their fall calving herds.

The date is because between The Exposure and Duff's Power Plus, there'll be lots of buyers for this kind of females here from all over the country. As to why not The Exposure, lets just say that relations between some of those folks just ain't what they used to be.

chambero

I hadn't paid attention to the fact that the Power Plus sale was that weekend also.

I thought that might be the reason on the dispersals, but a lot of the animals that have been doing well for a long time at Fort Worth are really late spring borns.

I'd love to go to these sales this year, but we are cutting calves that weekend.

DLD

Very true on the late spring borns getting along at FW, but I think they're still more the exception than the rule. Maybe not though... We sold some steers to a family down at Georgetown, and their county show was this past week. Our August and September calves certainly looked noticeably less mature than alot of the others, even in the lighter classes.

I'd like to make all 3 sales that weekend, too, but probably won't. I'm planning on going to Duff's for sure, just have to see on the others.