kadabra and hannibal BW's

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

are they safe on heifers??? ive got 2 really nice heifers im plannin on breeding next spring, a sunseeker and dr who heifer

afhm

You can get by with it, but you ought to consider other options.  Who can be used on heifers but wasn't always failsafe, also remember both of your heifers trace back to him.  The Shiver bull is working on heifers if you want an extra maternal kick.  Ali will work, they aren't the stoutest in the world, but mostly easy coming out.  An oldie but goodie is Payback even though he is PHAC he will sire great females and good saleable/showable steers.

xxcc

i would not recommend kadabra for heifers.  i only had two settle to him, but one was 108# and the other 112#, out of mature cows.  the calves were loagy too.  worst vigor i've ever seen in a maine calf.

cowz

Ditto!  No Kadabra on the heifers.  I would wait until they are 2nd or 3rd calf heifers before using Hannibal.  Have you considered going Angus for the first calf.  Your bloodlines are an investment.  Gotta consider the heifer the first time, then you can go for what you want the next times.

Stihlpro

I agree......had some small calves out of both and some larger (over 95 lbs).  I'm not a risk taker so I would stay clear of both on heifers.

Show Heifer

Do NOT use hannibal on heifers....his calves are large (mine and others have been between 90-120) and they are SQUARE. Meaning they have big shoulders, and big hips....heard of the saying "round hole, square peg"???
There are better options, trust me!!!

shortyjock89

Ali, Major's Money Man, Jake's Proud Jazz, Witch Doctor, Who Made Who...Northern Improvement, Juneau...all those could have some really good show calves...

OH Breeder

My worst calving nightmare was Kadabara. We had used him on a cow and had a peanut of a calf. But, when AI heifers, my nephew mixed up straws and AI'd a heifer to him. C Section went bad lost calf and heifer the calf weight 150#s. Would never make that mistake again.

Northern Improvement for crossbred heifers you mentioned should work great. You are setting these females up for the rest of there productive life.