Kansas Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

He was pretty green.I hate to evaluate a buddies bull especially when I like smaller cattle almost to the kit pharo type. He had a royal pedigree and was pretty red.

itk

We have used a full brother to that bull the last two years and are extremely happy with the calves out of him. Call JC up it would be well worth the time. Our calves were all small at birth and were some of the heaviest calves at weaning, they were also all red and polled. The genetics are tailor made for the commercial industry and I would think he would be just what you are looking for. Additionally I think the Kendra cow family is about to explode. Not only are they backed by a strong commercial background they have also been very competitive in the show ring. Aj how did the sale go, I talked to Dan Davis yesterday and he said it was pretty rough. How did the flush on Hanks sister sale and how did your DR calves sale. Is everyone optimistic about another sale next year or is it heading further down the road of just being a junior show.

aj

We no saled the dr bull. Alot of the shorthorn heifers sold dirt cheap. There were some no sales. The sale was more a social event than anything. I don't know that the sale will survive you were right. It seems like it is more of junior deal. The positive deal as far as breeding was concerned they had a decent pen bull show. They had a angus pen of full brothers, a Charolais pen ,two shorthorn pens,a simmental pen, and a durham red pen. The Angus bunch of three won it and martys shorthorn pen took reserve.

Show Dad

I was very disappointed in how the sale came off. The auctioneer didn't seem to work very hard for the sellers nor was there much information given for the those lots that were added after the catalog was printed. Had steers and heifers that I would have bid on if more info was given. One steer went for 950, which was a steel, but didn't know if it was papered (or could be) and no DOB. I would have payed more but why. You get burned at an auction if you assume anything. There were 6 of us that had 10k to spend between us, that left our wallets in our pockets.

Stuff like that cost the sellers and disappoints the buyers. Not a recipe for progress. Too bad.  :'(

The questions are: will this keep buyers and sellers from coming? And will the sale be run better? They go hand in hand but which comes first?