KC steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Any early word on the steer show in KC today?  CLass winners, favorites, disappointments, etc..?  I know the drive isn't until tonight.  Thx

justme

Loved the heavy weight red and white steer from Atlantic, Iowa.  I believe the little girls last name was McDermott?  Whole crowd clapped when she won the class then division.  He's a big calf, but wow was he pretty.

CAB

Sarah Feiges, Sioux City, Ia. Div 1 Champ, wt.,1285
Gracia Ramp,Yates City,Il. Reserve Div 1 Champ., wt.1299
Brock May, Mineral Point, Wi. Div 2 and Grand Champ overall, wt.1322
Jordan Stromberger, Imperial,Ne, Reserve Div 2 and Reserve Grand Champ overall, wt.1331
Morgan Mc Dermott, Atlantic, Iowa Div 3 Champ., wt. 1461
Amanda Von Forell, Wheatland, Wy. Reserve Div 3. wt., 1459
Class #4 winner Sarah Feiges wt., 1285
Class # 5 winner, Kaci O'Grady, Wheatland,Wy. wt., 1300
class # 6 winner, Brock May GC
7 Jordan Stromberger RGC
8- Keaton Lunquist, Prescott, Iowa. Chi Div winning steer Iowa State Fair. wt.,1345
#9-Emily Prinz, West Point, Ne.,wt 1362
#10- Sorry I missed, must have been yakking, wt 1366-1379
#11- Thomas, Willis, Waverly,OHIO,wt1394
#12-Jesse Hoblyn,York,Ne. wt. 1413
#13- Morgan Mc Dermott, Atlantic,Iowa, Short Horn- Plus Div winner, Iowa State Fair Div #3

Jill

Class 1 Ashley Tacker, Claremore, OK 1198
Class 2 Kelsey Schott, Grenola, KS 1230
Class 3 Missed
Class 10-OOPS, this must have been a really yakking class (clapping)

Grand Champion sold for 75,000 and Reserve brought 25,000

CAB

Jill, was the whole sale down badly? Didn't last year's GC bring 150K? I was hoping that they could sustain the great sales $s, but the economy has to effect everything. I thought that there would be larger #s than there were also. Roughly within 5 either direction of 130 market beef. Brent

Jill

Total steer average on 26 lots was 7948 or 4443.75 (my figures, may not be exact) for the 24 steers that weren't grand and reserve.  It was a good sale overall, the top lots were down a little, but the rest of the sale was pretty consistant. 

Jill

Here is the article that was in the paper this morning.

Not a bum steer in the lot at American Royal auction
By SARA SHEPHERD
The Kansas City Star
For a second year, one of Brock May’s pampered animals was selected grand champion steer at the annual American Royal livestock show.

Frye Guy, a 1,322-pound crossbreed, sold for $75,000 at Sunday night’s Junior Premium Auction. Bryan and Nancy Beaver of Carter Energy Corp. kicked off the evening with the top bid on the No. 1 steer.

But an animal farther down on the list of livestock at the auction may have been the surprise of the night.

Nine-year-old Paxton Dahmer of Nevada, Mo., was at the American Royal livestock show for the first time. His hog Tilly was named reserve division champion crossbreed earlier in the week. He and Tilly would have been in the sale ring Sunday, 35th on display and up for auction among nearly 70 other top winners from the weeklong livestock show.

But Tilly never made it.

By mistake, she was shipped to slaughter after the regular swine show — days before Sunday night’s big event.

There were tears all the way home, the family said.

“He never got a chance to say goodbye,” Paxton’s mother, Amy Dahmer, said. “He thought she was going back to the pen, and she got shipped.”

His father, Cory Dahmer, added: “We thought he was going to miss this whole experience.”

But Paxton didn’t miss out — it was decided that he would auction Tilly anyway.

So, after the auctioneer gave a brief explanation of the error, Paxton stepped into the show ring by himself.

“They just told me to go out there and smile,” he said.

After a bout of lively bidding and cheers for the tiny towhead with the bright plaid shirt and big shiny belt buckle, the hog that wasn’t there sold for $10,000 — just a couple thousand shy of the reserve grand champion hog at the top of the sale order.

The buyer, who declined to give his name, knelt in front of Paxton after the sale and told him, “You know, sometimes the worst thing that happens to you turns out to be the best.”

Money brought in at the auction is divided between the youth who raised the animal and the American Royal, which uses it for educational programs and scholarships.

Brock, 15, from Mineral Point, Wis., said he planned to donate part of his winnings for the grand champion steer to the Stanley E. Stout scholarship fund and save most of the rest for college.

Frye Guy, who was only about 6 months old when Brock bought him in March, had already had a mishap with a fence and spent three weeks at Iowa State University being treated for deep cuts on his legs.

By the time Brock saw it, the calf had healed and looked good enough that Brock decided to take a chance on it — big-bones, straight lines, and “real good hair.”

May said he spent about six hours a day with the steer, feeding it and washing and drying its hair to help it grow, all of which paid off this week.

“I thought he was good, but I didn’t know he was this good,” Brock said after Frye Guy was named the winner.

In 2005, May’s crossbreed Silver Bullet was named grand champion steer, fetching a then-record $100,000 at the auction.

Dusty

afhm said:
I saw on another site something about a "steer jail" what was all that about?  thx

They put all the sale cattle under surveilance because of the steer that didn't think he was ready to be done last year so he packed up and left in the middle of the night and then won Phoenix.....

KCK

The kids even had to have their passes that said "steer" on it to get in to tend to their calves. I talked with the security guy and asked him if he ever thought he would be watching cows all night and he laughed, then asked what the deal was, would they be mated and sold. We had a nice little chat but I think that would have been a long, long night for that guy. Too bad one episode of cheating ruined it for everyone. (And I found it odd that the pigs and sheep weren't in the same situation and no camera's or release papers were needed....)

kanshow

We walked by & tried to peek in and Mr. Security was sure watching us.   

Latest posts