Keep cow after C section?

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

2nd calf heifer had to have a section last night due to abnormal presentation of a large calf.  I asked the vet if she would heal up well enough to keep and rebreed, the answer was "right now let's worry about survival ".  So assuming she doesn't develop any infection and lives, what would you do?  The uterus did tear up into the horn more than the vet would of liked but she did a very nice job stitching her up. 

obie105

We have only ever had to do 2 c sections. The first one was a heifer that had a backwards calf and after some work the vet decided a c section was the way to go. She had several more calves for us before being culled of old age. The second one was also a heifer and she had complications and we elected not to keep her. Its a case by case basis I think.

Steve123

In europe I saw several cows with multiple c-section scars. The double muscled breeds had the most and with a very small herd size they didn't seem to mind.

Twoboysfarm

Two years ago first calf heifer of ours needed to have c section. Went well she raised the calf she healed nice and got bred by the bull am had a heifer and this year I stuck her Ai and she's due any day with her 3rd calf. She's probably our best cow and we almost shipped her. So I'd keep her and see if she breeds Ai or bull.

Mueller Show Cattle

I have seen cows that have had c-sections and breed back no problem, but I think it is a case by case. I would say if she recovers fine, I would breed her along with the rest of your cows, if she does not take and stays open, ship her, I would treat her no different then your other cows if she recovers.

mccannfarms

While in college one of the university's really nice Charolais show heifers had to have a C section, the vet they use (also one of the vets our farm uses) is phenomenal at C sections and she is now on her 3 rd calf and has had no problems since. It did take her a little longer to re-breed right after the C section but now she is just like any of the other cows.   

RyanChandler

Big M Show Cattle said:
I have seen cows that have had c-sections and breed back no problem, but I think it is a case by case. I would say if she recovers fine, I would breed her along with the rest of your cows, if she does not take and stays open, ship her, I would treat her no different then your other cows if she recovers.
good advice.

blackcows

Back in the 80's when the big cattle where in style we used to just put zippers in their sides :)

DCC_Cattle

We've had a few C-Sections and the cows always breed back fine and have had calves on their own since. As long as she heals fine and was stitched up good, you should be good to go!

leanbeef

If you think a whole lot of the cow, it probably doesn't hurt to expose her & see what happens. I wouldn't expect too much, and I wouldn't be too lenient with her if she doesn't jump back in line. Sometimes I think Mother Nature tries to give us some pretty good hints we refuse to listen to!

We've had two C-sections in over 40 years. Both were heifers we bought as breds. The first one was actually my dad's cow, and I'm not sure exactly what her deal was. I don't think we tried to keep her afterward. I barely remember anything about her.

The last one I had was trying to have a 140-lb bull calf. I tried to help her by putting the calf pulled on the calf, and he didn't budge. I heard his leg pop, and I knew it broke, so I called the vet. I did keep the cow, and I made sure to breed her to calving ease bulls. She got along fine for a few years and eventually ended up losing a calf that she couldn't have & nobody was there to save. We culled her after that.

She had a few decent calves. She never had a great one.

djbsimmy

We've decided to keep her and hope for the best!  She's young, docile and a good mother.  Cross your fingers for me.