Keep us in your prayers

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

As many of you know we sold a vast majority of our cows in March. My dad has been fighting back problems for the past few years and he has made the decision to sell the rest of the cows (most went to SRU's country) and is selling all of the land and most of the equipment except for 30 acres to build a new house on, June 14th. It has been very difficult for us all but we know that it is in his best interest. We still have over 200 embryos in storage and plan on working with some cooperator herds in the future. Still it's not the same as having your own land and cattle. They are having the open house for the farm tonight and I'm sure the next 2 weeks will be very emotional for us all so any thoughts and prayers would be appreciated. If you are looking for a house and 200+ acres of land in the beautiful Flint Hills of KS I happen to know where one will be for sale.

red

Oh, I am so sorry. That has to be one of the hardest choices ever. I will certainly be thinking & praying for you 7 your family. please let us know what happens.  :'(

Red

cowz

Sorry to hear that.  This is something I dread in my not too distant future.  Just be happy that your parents are healthy enough to enjoy a new house.  I hope you and your family can find a place to enjoy. :'(

DiamondS

Sorry to hear it!!  There's a lot of places packing bags in the Flinthills, and to the north.  It's a tough, tough decision and I'm thinking of you.  We live in a beautiful part of the country.  I'm putting in a few embryos for a gentleman not far from here, if you ever need a few put in, do let me know and I'd work with you to help you out.  We don't do too many, but are putting in a few.  Good luck and I wish you and your father well!

Dawn

justintime

itk, sorry to hear the news, but it sounds like you are already seeing that this is the right decision for your dad. My wife tells me that there actually is" life after cows". My dad is now 83, and he still is very active on the farm, and I can see some changes will be necessary in our operation soon. It is virtually impossible to hire any decent farm help, so you end up doing it yourself. The last two I hired here both ended up in jail. One was so dumb that he held up the local Kentucky Fried Chicken store at 8 am... and took the manager hostage as well. I am sure he got a big haul out of the till that day!!!

Just remember that there are many ways to keep involved in the beef industry, even if they are not the same as having your cows... on your own piece of dirt. Also, we are still making cows, so if the opportunity arises to get back into the business ( if that is what you want to do), I am sure there will be lots to pick from. I am sure that  the coming weeks will bring many emotions to you and your family. I hope all of your family can make the transition smoothly. I will be thinking of you and want to wish you and your family "good luck" and best wishes. Hope you plan to stick around this board  well into the future.

shortdawg

I sure am sorry to hear this news. Since college I've been working along with my Daddy on our family farm and I couldn't imagine us not having it. I feel for you and if there is any way we could help, please don't hesitate to give me a call.

itk

Thanks for all the thoughts. My dad is only 58 but the doctors say if he doesn't slow down he won't be walking soon. I have land and facilities to get calves ready to show and sell but not run more then a few cows so I think the contractor herds will work out nice. Another reason my dad kept alittle land was just in case we ran across a can't miss cow he would have some where to keep her. There will be serious reorganization but we still plan on staying active with cattle and dad even said in a few years they might try to buy land if his back heals. The hardest part for me was I had always planned on moving back to the farm and running it when dad was no longer able to but it happened twenty years earlier then I was expecting. Right now both me and my dad are felling guilty about the situation. My dad feels bad that he has to sell the land and I am feeling guilty because I am not at the point in my life where I can take it over.

AAOK

Warning: Offensive Content

Last Summer, I sold our herd of "Show Cows".  In 2002, my wife moved us into town, and we sold the house we built in 1979; the only house both of our girls ever knew.  We still have the land, but have begun selling miscellaneous equipment.  I'm 56, and had back surgery in 2006.  Our daughters are now 30 and 26; both married, and both have children.  They were not thrilled when we decided to sell the house, and far less happy when I told them about my plan to sell the cows.  But.........................................the girls have not been involved with any of the farm operations since 2000 & 2002 respectively.  They made the decision to go to college, get married, and move away.  They have their own lives, which we respect, and we have our lives.  One day, we plan to sell the land also, to help fund our retirement account.  If the girls want to keep the Farm, they will be welcome to buy it.   

ITK, I see you live in the Topeka area, so I'm guessing an hour or so from the farm. I understand your anguish in "losing" the farm, but it also appears you have decided to make your own life (which is a good thing).  But.................................if you really had aspirations of one day running the operations of the farm, why haven't you made the arrangements to do so?  According to your profile, you're 29; plenty old enough to buy the place yourself (if this is truly your desire).  Emotion really shouldn't get in the way of decisions on either end. 

Well, I was albe to keep this more civil than I expected.
Dan 

itk

AAOK said:

Warning: Offensive Content

Last Summer, I sold our herd of "Show Cows".  In 2002, my wife moved us into town, and we sold the house we built in 1979; the only house both of our girls ever knew.  We still have the land, but have begun selling miscellaneous equipment.  I'm 56, and had back surgery in 2006.  Our daughters are now 30 and 26; both married, and both have children.  They were not thrilled when we decided to sell the house, and far less happy when I told them about my plan to sell the cows.  But.........................................the girls have not been involved with any of the farm operations since 2000 & 2002 respectively.  They made the decision to go to college, get married, and move away.  They have their own lives, which we respect, and we have our lives.  One day, we plan to sell the land also, to help fund our retirement account.  If the girls want to keep the Farm, they will be welcome to buy it.   

ITK, I see you live in the Topeka area, so I'm guessing an hour or so from the farm. I understand your anguish in "losing" the farm, but it also appears you have decided to make your own life (which is a good thing).  But.................................if you really had aspirations of one day running the operations of the farm, why haven't you made the arrangements to do so?  According to your profile, you're 29; plenty old enough to buy the place yourself (if this is truly your desire).  Emotion really shouldn't get in the way of decisions on either end. 

Well, I was albe to keep this more civil than I expected.
Dan 

I'm sorry your daughters didn't want to be active with your operation however this is not the situation here. Yes, I live a hour away from the farm but I am still very active with it(I lived five minutes away until a year and a half ago when I got married). I spent almost every weekend up there helping out and spend most of my vacation time baling hay. I have never missed a show or sale that we were involved with. I have always thought of it as a reverse comute to living in the country and working in town. Since I didn't own the land I spent alot of money on et work, herd sires and the such as my way of contributing. I just got done serving two terms on the KSA board of directors(was first elected at the age of 23) and look at my past posts on this forum it is easy to tell I am active and passionate about cattle and our farm. I don't have a single friend who could finance a farm and move a young family on three months notice. If your daughters could do this they have very lucky husbands. I wanted to be offended by your post but opinions are like a$$holes and apparently friends are like butts. ;D

Cowboy

FYI -- I was in Viet Nam when my Dad became to ill to take care of the farm I knew I was going to run some day. THEY made the decision to sell it all before I ever got the chance to come home from the service, and I regret that to this day.

I knew growing up that I was going to be the only one of three boys who even liked cattle, and I loved them. Dad knew it too, he was beside himself until he died with what he took away -- I still yearn for the chance ot sit on my own land I was born on and take care of the legacy Dad started.

ITK -- I think Dan's point was simply this -- if you EVER had a desire to stay in ag and just BE there, in my some what backwoods opinion, NOW is the time to do it. In my own situation, I can tell you that there would never have been a town job, no matter HOW good it was, that would have ever prevented me from staying on the farm. Money should never be the issue, we survived, we don't have much even today, but I stayed in full time agriculture and I have never been sorry one day since. The only thing I am sorry about is that I was not given the chance to stay due to immediate health issues they had. At 18 years old, and not even sure at that time if I would even GET home from Nam, Dad was offered a good amount for the farm and took it.

I think your situation may be slightly different, don't know you other than on here so I can't say. My only tip would be this -- if you are even a tad bit interested in the place you were born and raised, I would personally be finding every possible way to keep it. You will never be sorry -- in most cases -- money is highly over rated, it is the soul that is worth the fortune!

I won't further butt into your business, my only intent was to inject the possible true meaning of Dan's post, he is simply trying to tell you that now is the time -- it will soon be too late -- and I am sure he fears you will regret it later -- I know I do.

Good luck with your future -- and tell your folks I care -- it is hard to do !

Terry

j3cattleco

ITK  Our prayers are with you and your family.

AAOK  That was uncalled for period.  Not your place.  I'm trying to be "Civil" but did you ever here the phrase "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  You odviously don't care enough.

Cowboy  I respect you and your opinion but, I disagree.  I absolutely love the land and was born to chase momma cows and my wife grew up on a farm in South Eastern South Dakota.  We would love to buy the farm that her family grew up farming, but do to the location and the weird family dynamics, her dad has six siblings that don't get along, we know it will probably never happen.  We would have the opportunity to buy it this summer if we had wanted to but understand that for our long term future, buying it now would probably be financial suicide.  ITK might be able to work something out to make it happen but from a financial stand point it might be wiser to let that place go so that he doesn't end up selling it in five years dragging his family down with it. 

We presently work in town both my wife and myself and busting our tales so that at some point we will be able to start buying land and leave a legacy for our kids and grand kids if they choose to be a part of it.  But putting my familys financial future at risk because the farm came up for sale sooner than I wanted is not with it.  We will have fond memories of my wive's family farm and will save our pennies so that some day we can own our own and not have to worry about making the next payment.

Lastly, I think we can all tell that ITK was more looking for a shoulder of support than a bunch of advise.  He sounds like a wise young man who has thought diligently about his situation and if he felt it was in his families best interst to purchase the homeplace he probably would.  Let's try to make sure that we can be the support needed as oppsed to his uninvited financial advisors.

dori36

<<...I don't have a single friend who could finance a farm and move a young family on three months notice. If your daughters could do this they have very lucky husbands. I wanted to be offended by your post but opinions are like a$$holes and apparently friends are like butts.>>

Obviously, I don't know the complete particulars of the situation and the author of the "offensive" opinion doesn't either.  But, in some sense I might have the same questions he/she does:  Is there any way your Dad can help you buy it?  Not so much giving you money, but maybe holding a contract for you for a while 'til you're able to get conventional financing?

renegade

That is so sad to hear - I would hate it. Im soooo sorry but it takes a strong person to let go of that and keep on going .  Im sure you will do well in the future

kanshow

itk - I'll be praying that it all works out for you and your parents. 

Like someone said - is there anyway your dad could sell it to you and finance it?  You've probably looked at all the options and I agree, 3 months is very short notice.  So far the real estate market around Manhattan is still very strong so that's always a consideration when trying to sell/buy in this area. 

aj

I say sell now and buy back after the crash of 2010. The aztecsor mayans or somebody says the end of the universe is 2012 anyway. You know now me always trying to help. Seriously...these things are hell. Estate split ups, lawyers,divorces, sibblings or even worse sibblings spouses. Timing,economics, everything comes into play. Tempers are short. Everbody take a deep breath and the high road.Good luck.

AAOK

I understand the situation of the parents.  I understand their regret in having to give up something so dear.  What I still don't understand is why ITK can't pull up his stakes and make something positive happen if he sincerely wants to.

I grew up in town, and knew absolutely nothing about farms or livestock except what I learned from my cousins in Osage City, KS each year on our family trips about two weekends a year.  That was enough; I always has a desire to live in the country and have some animals.  My wife & I purchased our place in 1977.  I was 25, we had been married 3 years, and I was earning around $14K/year.  The oil boom was just beginning to rev up, and interest rates were going through the roof.  In 1978 we decided it was now or never if we would ever have a chance to build a house on our farm.  Oh, we found out we were pregnant right after the foundation was finished.  We had an 8.75 rate on the land, and 10.75 on the house.  We both decided she would stay at home until our youngest child had started school.  We had no idea at this time how many kids that might be.

When you want something bad enough, you make it happen.  I like j3cattleco's line "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  We obviously cared enough.  For the next 17 years I worked 6 & 7 days a week, averaging probably 65 hours.  My wife started working full time 9 years after the birth of our first daughter.  We're both still working full time, and plan to do so for many more years.

I'm not at all disappointed my daughters didn't want to stay in town and keep messing with the show calves.  They learned many great lessons for life through showing cattle, and doing all that is necessary to win.  They are still out there winning, but in much different arenas.  They won't have to work all their lives.

The point is: we all have choices!  We all can take whatever road we choose!

Don't just decide you're "out" because it seems impossible.  Moving mountains is what makes the world go round.

Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we can not see. Hbr. 11:1

In HIS grip,
Dan

Doc

ITK, I'm getting into this a little late , but I sure hate it for you. I understand what you're going thru to a point. My dad died almost 2 years ago & the farm that the he grew up on & I still used for cattle is going to be sold next month. I have 2 sisters & 1 agreed to sell me her 1/3 for a fair price ,the other sister, who is anti family wanted double what it was appraised for( geuss because she knew I wanted it). She has sued my sister & myself to force us to sell it at auction. Don't know if I'll be able to afford it or not.
I think you're smart not to bite off more than you can chew if you're not ready financially to buy it. I also know things happen that you don't plan on happening that quick. Once again I'm sure sorry.