Keeping calves on feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

kccowman

Just got back from a national show in KC. While there one of my heifers just shut down. First two day everything normal, then see quite eating grain drinking water . She would eat a little hay and sip a little water. I tried appetite plus, Vita-ferm bolus nothing worked. I was worried if she could make the trip home, about 700 miles. Got her home 3 days later she started back. Any tips or tricks to keep calf's from going off feed at shows in the future.

AAOK

Consistentcy is the key.  Cattle are creatures of habit, and when thrown a curve they react.  Of course when you're gone to a show for a few days, their whole environment is upset.  A poor appetite for a few days is not too much of a disaster.  Always try to feed at the same times of day, and don't make feed changes.  Some people will haul water from home.  If you have access to city water for the calves, always fill their tank at home with it.  They will always be used to the chlorine in the water when away.  The more travel and shows a calf sees, the less stress they reflect.

kanshow

I agree with consistancy.  Water intake (or lack of) would definitly make a difference on feed consumption.   

Years ago when I was showing, I was told to cut the feed back by at least 10% at a show.    I've followed that  thru the years and for the most part, it seems to work.   

linnettejane

i like to start topdressing with terramycin crumbles a week or two before hauling and then continue for 1 week after getting back home....since ive been doing this, havent had any problems with calves going off feed, shipping fever, etc...