Kentucky Derby

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Show HEf, I thought for a little while your number 8 horse was going to take it! amazing how a horse can come from 19th position to win. I was rooting for number 6- Cowtown Cat. Two of my favorite things!
Street Sense won easily!
Has anyone ever be to Churchhill Downs for the race? I used to be invited quite a bit because we sold most of the stable the molasses for feed. Just never got to it. Now regretting I didn't at least once.
Any one have a mint julep & wear a fancy hat to watch?

Red 

stick

I had more than a few mint juleps, missed the race, and woke up wearing nothing but a fancy hat.  (clapping) Good thing I was at home.

shortdawg

My Uncle and cousin along with their girlfriends went ;so, I'm waiting for the low down when they get back.

OH Breeder

Got a question, the story about Barbaro was tragic and I think I shed a little tear they put him down. Do you think they are going to clone him? Wasn't it the University of Texas recently that had the most species cloned- horse, cow, chicken, lamb and I think pig?
I use to work that territory and loved the week before the Derby. All kinds of get togethers around town. Beautiful city!

mommacow

I always root for the longshots (which all came in at the back of the pack).  I love the horses that come from the back. Takes me back to going to the races with grandpa he was a trainer, he made us kids a swing to ride the walker around in circles.  I would always bet for the best looking horse and grandma would bet according to races won.  Makes me miss my grandparents even more.

afhm

That would have been TEXAS A & M the only animal t.u.(university of texas) has is their longhorn mascot.  They don't even have an Ag program, theyare the Berkely of Texas.  Anyone know what the odds were on the #7 horse that won?

showcattlegal

if they clone him we will never here about it. they can't in the horse industry. they do have a full brother to him on the ground now. The odds on the seven horse wasn't very good he was the favorite i think he was 5 to 2 or something like that.

OH Breeder

showcattlegal said:
if they clone him we will never here about it. they can't in the horse industry. they do have a full brother to him on the ground now. The odds on the seven horse wasn't very good he was the favorite i think he was 5 to 2 or something like that.
Why can't they clone? I think they have done barrel horses.

Show Heifer

They have cloned Charmyne ?Jones?  barrel horse Scamper. Not sure where.

I love the Derby. Been to Churchill Downs, but not at Derby time....beautiful.
I like the stories: of the horses, trainers, owners and jockeys. Love to hear about the $12,000 horse that is running against the $2 million dollar horse.  The jockey that won it this year has never won the Derby and has been with Street Sense since his first race, so thats kinda cool.
There will never be another Barbaro. And I don't think there should be.  He was unique due to his personality, his character, and that can not be cloned. Why ruin a good memory?

And as for wanting to go to the Derby, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Life is too short to look back on and say "Damn, wish I had done that." If ya get the opportunity, GO FOR IT. Regardless of what it is. I am not saying go bankrupt or deny your responsibilies, but dang it, "Aint' never seen a hearse with a luggage rack!!" (Quote from song).

chambero

I live right in the middle of "horse country" in north Texas.  Alysheba used to (may still for all I know) live about a 1/4 mile from my house.  The smart horse in "Dances with Wolves" lived right across the highway from Alysheba.

There are quite a few horses getting cloned down here.  I don't know about race horses, but I think they are doing a lot of quarter horses.

Not that my opinion matters, but I think they hurt way too many horses racing them.  Too strong of athletes for their young bones.  Would it cut a lot of that out if they let them get a year older before they started running them?  I've always wondered why they run such young horses instead of letting them get a little more mature.

showcattlegal

The jockey club won't even let them A.I the mares. so no cloning at all. I know they can do it but they can't get papers on them so what good are they. I love racing and everything there is do with it. I wanted to be a jockey when i was lil but it didn't happen.

DL

Show Heifer said:
They have cloned Charmyne ?Jones?  barrel horse Scamper. Not sure where.

I love the Derby. Been to Churchill Downs, but not at Derby time....beautiful.
I like the stories: of the horses, trainers, owners and jockeys. Love to hear about the $12,000 horse that is running against the $2 million dollar horse.  The jockey that won it this year has never won the Derby and has been with Street Sense since his first race, so thats kinda cool.
There will never be another Barbaro. And I don't think there should be.  He was unique due to his personality, his character, and that can not be cloned. Why ruin a good memory?

And as for wanting to go to the Derby, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Life is too short to look back on and say "Damn, wish I had done that." If ya get the opportunity, GO FOR IT. Regardless of what it is. I am not saying go bankrupt or deny your responsibilies, but dang it, "Aint' never seen a hearse with a luggage rack!!" (Quote from song).

They (don't remember who they is)  did clone Charmayn James Scamper - got a stud colt who they will use for breeding only (ie not barrels). I think the deal that was referred to is regarding registration of Thoroughbreds - sure you could clone 'em but if you can't register them and you can't race them then why did you clone them??

Barrel Racer

Viagen is the company that cloned Scamper, for I think $150,000.  I had read that he may be broke to ride but will not run, just used for breeding (personally wouldn't breed to him but that is just my opinion).  I think that AQHA's rules are still that the clones as well as resulting foals from clones are nonregisterable.  I know that they cloned Smart Little Lena (cutting horse) as well and have 4 or 5  (can't remember) foals on the ground.  Registration doesn't matter too much for barrel racing almost all shows (AQHA approved i.e. Congress, AQHA world, being the exception) are an anything goes show, and I believe the NCHA (cutting) are the same. 

showcattlegirl-didn't know you used to race, what kind quarters or TB?

DL

Hey Barrel Racer - how is your Turbo tax man??? Does anyone know what happened to the horse horse that pulled up in the cross country part of the Rolex??

ps why wouldn't you use the Scamper clone??

chambero

Smart Little Lena was the one I remembered reading about.  She is from a ranch in my hometown.

DL

chambero said:
Smart Little Lena was the one I remembered reading about.  She is from a ranch in my hometown.

The Quarter horse people have such bizarre names that combine sire and dam that it is a damn maze for some of us cow folks, any normal person would think Smart Little Lena was a mare, but alas as a QH she was a stallion. He was sired by Doc O'Lena out of Smart Peppy (a Peppy San daughter). He was a rather remarkable horse in terms of both his cow sense and the ability to pass it on to his progeny. What is perhaps even more remarkable is that I actually knew it (OK I am a closet reader of Performance Horse) ....pretty good info on this web site

http://www.windstormranch.com/Stallion%20History.htm
(cow) (cow)

red

Also, I'm not sure if this applies to quarter horses too but they can't have two named the same. Also you have to get the name approved by the committee.
Not sure if this is Thourghbreds only.

chambero

This is way off subject, but I'm almost certain Smart Little Lena used to reside at Ted Turner's in Aubrey, TX.  Maybe he just trained and showed him.

DL

Bred by Hanes Chatham, Pilot Point, Texas - I'd have to skulk around to find out more of his travels. He is still sevicing 80 some mares at 20 something....