Kicking Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

orilly

I have this steer i am going to show in about a month and a half. about two weeks ago i introduced the showstick and he freaked out. everytime that we touched him he would kick. now we can not even get close to his side without him triing to kick us. he still leads it just he kicks. is there any ideas that might stop him from this. please i need some help. thanks   

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

If you can stand at his head and touch him with the stick you can just let him kick at air. Keep sticking him and making him kick, after a while of kicking air his legs will get soar and hopefully he will stop. or if you have something he can kick that he wont like but wont actually hurt him you can let him kick that and he will learn nothing good comes from kicking.

SlickTxMaine

Last year's steer was a kicker!  We did a couple of things......sprayed him with the water hose and let him kick all he wanted until he tired himself out and realized what we were doing was not hurting him, and we also took a broom, you could use the show stick, held it at the end and laid it on his back, just above his hip.  He kicked until he tired himself out, and again realized he was not being hurt.  After 2-3 evenings of this, he stopped kicking.  Good luck! 

carl s.

You can try all sorts of methods that might or might not work and will take days/weeks. 

Or you could just kick him back really hard one time.

It's cruel.

It works.

knabe

carl s. said:
You can try all sorts of methods that might or might not work and will take days/weeks. 

Or you could just kick him back really hard one time.

It's cruel.

It works.

perhaps the boot on the neck is better?