Kind of a Poll - Cattle Internet

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

Im not sure IM gonna word this right but here goes,  If there was a service, product or whatever you think you are not receiving from cattle sites on the internet
what would it be???  For example:  A website for advertising cattle that is not so web page oriented (more banner page) and pictures not so much FLUFF and more
just advertising  your cattle for a much cheaper price to more cattle type products (like shirts, gift baskets that kind of thing).  Im very interested to hear what
you all have to say since this forum is the best on the internet right now for cattle web sites.

Thanks.

Show Steaks

I would liek to find a palce where i could advertise my calves fro sale and view others calves for sale. and have that site actualyl get good traffic
thats why i first came to steerplanet

jbzdad

I wish  there was a site that listed the AI bulls with their strengths and their breed % and pedigree both sides at least 2 generations... ie how much maine is Dr hook? what besides maine is Dirty Hairy... I know if you allow negative comments then it quickly  falls to - comments only... would the bull owners/ sponsors help promote that site

could the animals name in the pedigree link to their own spot on the site?ie if Ali is dirty  harry's sire... click on that and look at ali's pagei

jbzdad

I know cattle .com is pretty close to that but they dont list the breed %, I don't think they list the registration info

justintime

A site devoted to listing people with trailers that are willing to haul some additional cattle would be very helpful. Last winter, on a -40 day, i had to haul a bred heifer 600 miles to meet a truck that was going to take her to the West Coast. I found out a few days later that a guy who lives 5 miles from me, followed me out there , 1 hour behind.He had one bull on his trailer. This has happened numerous times.

Right now, I am trying to figure out how to get some bulls delivered to their new homes. I have figured out all the ones on the Canadian side of the border, but I have bulls and possibly heifers to Texas, bulls to Kansas, Iowa and Michigan. Right now, I think I can arrange them all except the Michigan one. None of the livestock hauling businesses I have talked with have anything else to go that way right now. I will probably load the others and head down to Omaha or KC and meet the other buyers.

linnettejane

jbzdad said:
I wish  there was a site that listed the AI bulls with their strengths and their breed % and pedigree both sides at least 2 generations... ie how much maine is Dr hook? what besides maine is Dirty Hairy... I know if you allow negative comments then it quickly  falls to - comments only... would the bull owners/ sponsors help promote that site

could the animals name in the pedigree link to their own spot on the site?ie if Ali is dirty  harry's sire... click on that and look at ali's pagei

i think that is a neat idea...and to add to it, a place to load up pictures of calves sired by the bulls...i think another website has a version of this with Who's Your Daddy?...but it doesnt have the bulls info, list bw's or identify what the dams were...by adding this, people can see the results of a certain bull on a certain type of cow and make their own judgement....sort of a one stop all you would ever need to know about a sire page...the key would be to have it all on one page...convenient!...

as a consumer, i think this is a fabulous idea....if i were a bull owner though, i might be a little worried about letting other people post calf pics, because we all know there are some people out there who will ai a $550 cow from the stock yard to try and get a great one and then talk smack about the bull when the calf is crap...so maybe having to post a pic of the cow the calf is out of also would be necessary...

as far as commenting goes...i would only let people be able to comment that are posting pics...and then limit the amount of space they could have for comment...and only allow the bull owners to have access to reply...this might cut down on thread hijacking (which i am quilty of sometimes) but the whole point of the page is to discuss a specific bull....and that might keep it on track...

just some of my crazy brainstorming ideas...

TMJ Show Cattle

The centralized transportation to get sale cattle to and from has really come to fruition the last couple of years.Myself and another,me being from Wisconsin[southwest] and the other being from [Oklahoma] have tried to hammer out a feasible way to offer a service such as this. Insurance costs and available trucks and trailers without much notice,along with earlier gas prices,kind of stymied us from looking into project much farther.It is a needed service,but you get into brokerage fee's and needing a gps tracking device in case of occasional diversion.I have found trailers willing to go to the southwest,but they want a gurantee on some kind of return load back,which you can't blame them for at all.The dairy people seem to have a decent network working,and have had offers to use them. I don't particularly care to send beef show cattle or DONORS on the same trailer with rowdy young holstein heifers.There is a need, just have to justify the means.