Kinnaber Leader 5th- SH friends

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

Yes, this is yet another son of TPS Coronet Leader 21st !! I own the 9th and have connection to the 6th and 21st. Please connect me to the 5th?! Who is  Also known as MIgthy Mr Modern.  Hey I have more old sale catalogs than any one - so save me the HISTORY. JUST CONNECT ME TO THE SEMEN!!!!

thanks
Sue (clapping)

justintime

Sue, In my opinion, the 5th never bred as good as some of the other 21st sons or the 21st himself. I don't think Drapers even collected semen on him as I never remember any being made available even when they dispersed. The 5th calves were quite a bit smaller than the 9th calves. I had a couple of 5th sons but neither got big enough even in those days. The 21st son I would dearly love to get semen on was Kinnaber Leader 3rd also known as George the Giant. He was owned by WK Legge in SE Saskatchewan and he was a tremendous bull. I know that there was some semen drawn on him as Kinnaber used him themselves at the time. He was probably the biggest framed Leader son and he also sired some tremendous cattle. The Legge herd, ( Green Bluff Shorthorns) was probably one of the best sets of Shorthorn cows I ever saw.

OH Breeder

justintime said:
Sue, In my opinion, the 5th never bred as good as some of the other 21st sons or the 21st himself. I don't think Drapers even collected semen on him as I never remember any being made available even when they dispersed. The 5th calves were quite a bit smaller than the 9th calves. I had a couple of 5th sons but neither got big enough even in those days. The 21st son I would dearly love to get semen on was Kinnaber Leader 3rd also known as George the Giant. He was owned by WK Legge in SE Saskatchewan and he was a tremendous bull. I know that there was some semen drawn on him as Kinnaber used him themselves at the time. He was probably the biggest framed Leader son and he also sired some tremendous cattle. The Legge herd, ( Green Bluff Shorthorns) was probably one of the best sets of Shorthorn cows I ever saw.
JIT,
What do you know about Diamond Leggs 21? You are a wealth of knowledge!

justintime

Diamond Legs 21 is a bull that I have only seen a few calves from. He was not used a lot in Canada, as only a little semen ever made it up here. He was bred by Lecil Church in Oklahoma and he has an interesting pedigree. He is sired by Leggs ( WI Dividend 3J) and his dam is really quite " old school" genetics. She has one cross of Leader breeding through her grandsire Candun Leader ( who has a shot of Kinnaber Leader 9th as well as Pheasant Dawn Seal 2nd). The rest of breeding in Legs 21's dam all goes back to old Scottish bulls from the 50s and 60s. Bulls like Kinellar Napolean ( Acadia Farms herd sire), Glasmis Bobbydazzler and Crichton Prince Charlie all were imported from Scotland and came out of the Perth Bull Sale in Scotland. It is interesting that these bloodlines are almost non existent, in Scotland now. There is also a shot of old Bapton Constructor in her background, through Louada Chancellor. Bapton Constructor was the " Trump of the 60s" as you weren't no body unless you had a Bapton Constructor son or grandson as a herdsire.
One thing I have wondered about is that Diamond Legs 21 is registered as polled yet both his sire and dam were registered as horned. He does have one shot of polled breeding through his maternal grandsire Candun Leader and it could be that his dam was actually a polled female. I always found the Irish sires were very easy to poll, that is most Irish sires would sire polled calves if they were bred to polled females. I raised a few full Irish cattle that were horned but their horns never grew more than about 4 or 5 inches and were losely attached to the skull.... kinda like " Texas scurs". Siince the Irish cattle were linebred from Shorthorns in the 30s and 40s, it could be that they resembled in some ways, the original cattle that were named " Short Horns" .
Getting back to Legs 21, his calves are quite moderate in frame and they do have good thickness. I really don't know why he hasn't been used more than he has. I think this bull has some merit in todays industry.He is probably one of the better breeding Leggs sons. With his dams breeding, you may have to use him on the bigger framed cows in your herd to get the best results.

iowa

Great information JIT, you are a wealth of knowledge and appreciate all your information.  OH Breeder, you may also want to talk to Elbee as he has a Diamond Leggs 21 son that he bought from Darlene Bloomquist of Dar Lee's Shorthorn. His name is Mobutta and I was able to see him in the pasture when I went to Elbees looking at his bulls. He was  nice looking, moderate framed with a lot of muscle and a show steer look to him. Darlene had purchased him from Lecil Church and used him for several years and needed to move him on. Darlene would also be a good source on what types of calves he throws and what he works on as well. Darlene told me she has purchased several bulls from Lecil Church.  Just be prepared to be on the phone for a while if you call Darlene!

stick

JIT, the Bapton herd name brought to mind a couple of Canadian herd names Aberfeldy and Scotsdale. Are either of these herds still producing? I know Reford passed away several years ago. One of the best bulls we ever used came from Aberfeldy.

justintime

The Scotsdale herd just recently sold to Fantasy Lane Farms, Rockwood, ON and Emerson Clarke only has a few older cows left at Scotsdale. The Gardhouse herd Aberfeldy) is still operated by Reford's youngest son Doug. He still has quite a few Shorthorns and some Simmentals as well. The original Scotsdale farm is now preserved as a park. It is an amazing place but it doesn't seem to be the same now that governments run it. There have been a pile of movies got on this farm as well as some well known TV series.

garybob

iowa said:
Great information JIT, you are a wealth of knowledge and appreciate all your information.  OH Breeder, you may also want to talk to Elbee as he has a Diamond Leggs 21 son that he bought from Darlene Bloomquist of Dar Lee's Shorthorn. His name is Mobutta and I was able to see him in the pasture when I went to Elbees looking at his bulls. He was  nice looking, moderate framed with a lot of muscle and a show steer look to him. Darlene had purchased him from Lecil Church and used him for several years and needed to move him on. Darlene would also be a good source on what types of calves he throws and what he works on as well. Darlene told me she has purchased several bulls from Lecil Church.  Just be prepared to be on the phone for a while if you call Darlene!
PS, one other thing, you may, or, may mot want to know, is that LC Diamond Cutterx, is the ONLY Beef Shorthorn Bull Available AI in ABS Mexico's sire list. He musta really worked on some commercial cows, or produced excellent replacements, because those guys down there don't have time to mess around with cattle that don't perform( or survive) in such a challenging environment. The reason I say he must have clicked on some commercial cows, is that there isn't a Shorthorn Breed Association in Mexico, leaving out the possibility of him being put across registered cows, or clubby mamas.

OH Breeder

garybob said:
iowa said:
PS, one other thing, you may, or, may mot want to know, is that LC Diamond Cutterx, is the ONLY Beef Shorthorn Bull Available AI in ABS Mexico's sire list. He musta really worked on some commercial cows, or produced excellent replacements, because those guys down there don't have time to mess around with cattle that don't perform( or survive) in such a challenging environment. The reason I say he must have clicked on some commercial cows, is that there isn't a Shorthorn Breed Association in Mexico, leaving out the possibility of him being put across registered cows, or clubby mamas.

GB that is good info to know. Diamond Leggs must come from good stock then.

stick

They had a bull a few years ago that was a double bred Diamond Leggs, called LC Alero. I know of a couple of breeders that were trying to get a semen interest. Not sure if they ever did or not. There is a Maine cow on the bottom side of the pedigree. Not sure about the TH or PHA. Any help? Here's the breeding of the cow:

Pedigree
MA101756 CALBERTA SILVER 6G
MA652 TOPVIEW CANOOK 9M
MA91212 MS SCENTGRASS 78G
Sire: *MA7015 MR TRI CANDO 483S
*MA6963 CUNIA
MA112608 TOPVIEW MISTY G52M
MA112607 MANJOUS KATIE 133K
MA100056 ATAN
*MA6963 CUNIA
MA100057 PETUNIA
Dam: MA68302 STI MS CUNIA 240H