KLS Halfblood

Help Support Steer Planet:

tande

Has anyone had any calves out him? How was his calving ease? I have some heifers that are for the most part Angus with a little Maine and Chi in them. I am wanting to use some Simmental to power them up a little. I know Simmental as a whole have bigger birth weights, so I am nervous use them. But with The Answer and Dream On in his pedigree I was hoping this would work.

leanbeef

First of all, any recent data I've seen would not list Simmental as a heavier birth weight breed or a harder calving breed than most other continentals, so by comparison, in general, Simmental shouldn't scare you. This bull's pedigree is pretty safe, and he ranks in the top 10% of all hybrid Simmental for both calving ease and birth weight, so I would agree with you and assume he's a relatively safe bet for an unproven bull. Your safest bet is always a more proven sire that has been progeny tested and has earned higher accuracies for calving ease and birth weight EPDs, but as far as unproven bulls go, I wouldn't be scared to use this guy on any female that was worth keeping.