labor day weekend sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

beefy

want to head back to the midwest and pick up some steers out of the sales, which states and which sales do you recomend. dont want to waste my time at sells that the quality just isnt there. am going to sullivans for sure. thanks in advance for suggestions.    <cowboy>

TParker

It all depends on what you are wanting to spend.  Club Calf Paradise is usually a hot spot during labor day along with Gruhns.  I also know there are a lot of good calves that sell the weekend after labor day, but you could view them the same time while in Iowa.  Swansons and Fabers usually will have some of the best calves in the state.  I've also been hearing a lot about a few calves that are selling on The Usual Suspects sale where you might be able to get a deal because it is the first year they are putting together a sale. Alll of those sales should have several calves in the 5 digit ranges... I would look through your Show Circuit all of these sales I'm sure will be listed and you won't be dissappointed at the quality... Just my thoughts...

TMJ Show Cattle

Another "HOTBED" for sales in September are in southwest Wisconsin. There is Weigle's Steer Pit at Cuba City,Keene farms at Potosi, Greg May[Fernvale Angus] and Greg Tonkin at Mineral Point, DTR at Dodgeville,Adam White Cattle Co. and occasionaly TMJ at Lancaster, Abney Family at South Wayne, Carrosel Farms at Monroe. You also have Doug Clemmons,Noonan Cattle,BNR and several others in the Bernard,Iowa area. All of these farms have raised the great one's that have went on to win at State and National shows on a consistant basis. If anyone disputes this notion ask Bob May, Steve Bonham,Mark Copus,Bob Dwyer,Holtkamps,Sullivan's....I think you get the idea.This sleepy little area within a 75 mile radius has not been highly promoted,but has relied on word of mouth for several years.Great steers and heifers have been bought and resold for years.

TMJ Show Cattle

This is an add-on to above post: The southwest Wisconsin sales are, as a a rule , in Mid September.

Show Steaks

If your at sullivans you can head fifteen minutes west to pryor's or go fifteen east to club calf paradise. gruhns is also a good stop(they have a sweet little bull calf thats doin some winnin in the feeder calf shows. Within twenty miles of sullivan on either side is prettty much the club calf meca. Also as stated above go up north and check out Swanson, Weaver, Faber ,Smith all will have dang good qulaity

tadpole

If your going to be in Iowa i would for sure make a trip to north central/west Iowa and go to Dennis and Brad Smith's they always put together a heck of a set,  Brad White's sale of JBR club calves Brad and the boys are going to have a heck of a set this year too, Ryan Knudson's sale Ryan has a small group of calves but are definitely  worth stopping and looking at, he has a monoply steer that is going to bring some bucks, and Ronald and Joe Smith always put together a heck of a set also.  All of these places are within about 10 to 15 minutes of each other!

oakbar

I've got to put in a plug for our county here, too!!  The Western Iowa sales get all the promotion and they do have some absolutely fantastic calves but don't forget about Worth county in North Central Iowa.  We've got several smaller breeders who have sold calves in the last few years that have gone on to be Champions and Reserve Champions at both the Iowa and MN State Fairs as well as numerous cattle that have  been class winners at the state fairs, Iowa and MN Beef Expos, and many county fairs.  We don't get the promotion that the Western Iowa breeders get but we usually don't get the inflated prices either.  We have several breeders who would be happy to show you their calves and, if you're looking for a calf a little later this fall,  we have our Club Calf Sale the first Sunday in November each year.